Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

another room rearrange....help!! :)

saltnpeppa
13 years ago

So the DR was cleared of the big table (really too big for the room) and I had my furniture from the sitting room, aka not sit in room!!

I am mocking up a skirted table. Mirror not hung. Lamps...simple or ornate. Or do you even like? Anything you would do differently?

Smiles:)

Comments (77)

• loribee
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I still vote for the frenchie chairs and the burlap~~

• perky_2
    13 years ago

I LOVE the bosporus toile chairs in the sitting room. I love the fabric covered end chairs, in the breakfast room at the DR table. And I love your window treatments with as they are. The table cloth is beautiful on the higher table - not sure how it would look on a shorter one.

Fun project!

• creekylis
    13 years ago

Love your room!!! Keep the frenchie chairs! I also vote for the burlap cloth...Ballard has one. As a matter of fact, my sis (interior designer) used the Ballard burlap cloth with fringe in her formal LR and placed all sorts of crystal items, including a large crystal lamp, on it. I adore the juxtaposition of these two contrasting elements.

BTW, I hope you chime in on my thread asking for paint advice. I adore your style. I also have ditched my formal DR for an office, so I'm attempting some similar movement of furniture. Would love to hear your take.

Lis

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Love the room. Love the paint color. Very rich!

I think you need art on the back wall above the console. A few pieces to go with the layered look.

And I'm still not sure about a skirt on the table, but I totally love the larger, originally placed chairs in the room. I would create more visiual room by not using a tablecloth, but that's just me. I usually ask for way more advice because I'm not really that good at this stuff! LOL

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts.....
    I moved the buffet in front of the window....it is much higher than the window?

The table.....If I get a skirt for it, it will be raised to 30 inches. I might keep my eyes open for a nicer round table on CL as several have mentioned having open legs.

Here are some pics...

I have to say my enthusiasm is weaning....my house is a mess with all the rearranging. Hoping I'm on the right track doing all this rearranging!

• User
    13 years ago

I like the burlap cloth a wee bit better because of the color of your darker walls. Plus, I like the texture it will add.

I like the frenchy chairs in the office but also liked them in the new sitting area. Is there enough room to move around easily from the foyer side entrance?

I also agree the mirror wasn't quite working over the buffet but both are beautiful.

I like the DR table in it's new spot. It looks like it might be a little tight with the bookcases? I can't picture them there. If you need more storage I would for sure find a way to make it work. Are you going to have doors put on the bookcases?

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

The latest arrangment with the toile chairs backing to the entrance from the foyer looks blocked and crowded. Not sure if that arrangment is best. IF you kept the buffet on the left wall and the settee in front of the window, is there enough room for the toile chairs to fit in front of the buffet a little bit? Maybe a chair on each end? I'd play with it a little. If not, then I still say move the buffet out, place the settee on the left wall and the chairs in front of the window. It seems it would leave enough room for moving about.

• enailes
    13 years ago

I love your taste and like your original room layout. I have a similar LR layout with one side opening to a DR and another huge opening coming into the room with 2 windows to the right. It makes decorating challenging; however, I think your original layout was wonderful. I've tried every arrangement possible in my LR and still haven't found a satisfactory arrangement. I now have my couch angled against one wall and it is driving me crazy.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Have you considered no table cloth. How about eliminating the table between the two chairs and bring the chairs right up to the table as in your first pics. It would open up both doorways and create a pass through.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

I have the same type of room with respect to doors, window, and traffic path. What I wound up doing was putting the couch in front of the window, chair sort of where you have the console, and 2nd chair flanking the couch on the other side but closer to the couch. Neither chair is at a 90-degree angle to the couch (one more, one less). That arrangement allows a nice path for walking from the foyer to the adjoining room. Important because I suspect a path from an office to a kitchen is going to be a well-traveled one.

Did you try your original arrangement, but swing the chair that's in the path around the table closer to the couch?

Maybe consider moving the console out of the room?

I know it's just a mockup, and I know pictures here can be deceiving, but I kinda like the dropcloth! I adds a kind of "yes, I'm sophisticated but I just rolled out of bed" kind of touch to the room. :)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay....let's see what you all think of this arrangement. I actually did it the other day but didn't have my camera to take pics. If it stays like this the mirror will be hung horizontally above the sofa.

I added an old iron planter with burlap to my plant & really like the way the burlap looks in there.

Bungalow....that's how I feel about myself - can dress & be girly but at the same time love to get my fingers dirty, mow the grass & use the weedeater & edger outside.
    Yaya - the table underneath is not very attractive that's why I was thinking table cloth - plus I love the look of a skirted table.
    Shee - yes doors on the bookcases in there....I'll make it work somehow - can always move the light fixture (which needs to be replaced) It was crowded in the 2nd set of pics.
    Kmcg - if this arrangement doesn't work then I'll try the buffet out into the foyer.

I appreciate all your thoughts and advice so much!! This little rearrange has turned into an ugly monster but still fun at the same time!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

It must be so tiring schlepping this furniture all over the place! Visually, I like your last placement best and the style of the mirror does suit the curvy lines of the sofa quite well. I would suggest having paintings on either side of the mirror, perhaps one above the other on each side (four altogether) to make the space look even more inviting. Having had more and better views of your curtains, I like them much better than before. They're obviously well made and stylish. What I can see of the rest of your house is really lovely. The buffet looks quite good where it is but it forces the chairs to be too far from the couch and table. If you want this to be a comfy hanging out spot, I would suggest removing the buffet and putting at least one chair in front of the window and somehow positioning the other one closer to make a smaller, more unified conversation area. By placing the chairs completely on the rug I think you'll achieve a cozier feeling. I would also put a tablecloth on the table that has the rust color of the darkest band in the curtain and the dark color in the pillows. Your space will look so much warmer and more beautiful.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

scooby- you have such beautiful things, I don't think you could go wrong in this room! IMO, I like the first set up the best. It seems like the chairs were really connected to the table with that combination. My next choice would be the last option. Any way you put it together- it will be beautiful. Love the idea of burlap on the table!
    I sooo feel your pain about getting your house put back together after a lingering project ..........

• User
    13 years ago

Look at all the photos again, I like the first set up best too. The last one rates 2nd. :)

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the last arrangement is best, but the tall chairs and big cabinet paired with the windows and the covered table in the middle of the room make the loveseat feel small, and a bit overwhelmed. Adding the weighty mirror over it will only increase that sense, I think.

How about keeping this arrangement, but trying either the parsons chairs or green armchairs? I think the whole proportion would be better.

Can you turn the rug the other direction?

• cristoperjames
    13 years ago

Room looks congested. But, Furniture and lighting arrangements well, wall have great colors entire room appears great.

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

I am really enjoying you doing all the work and we get to see the results! Your draperies are beautiful and seemed to frame the sofa and make it look more inviting than it does on that lonely wall---so I'm still voting for the first layout. I don't know about a covered table, but an ottoman with a tray on top would be similar and possibly more tailored. Such pretty decor, really, wherever you move it! Can't wait to see the finale.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Wow!! Lots of great results from all of your hard work!! LOL!

A vote for the parsons chair (great size, shape and scale for the arrangement) with the small sofa -- AND a vote for the sofa in the window with the chest on the long wall.

Whew! You're making ME feel tired!!! :)

Take a martini outta petty cash -- and have a long rest on that pretty sofa!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

It looks very romantic, love the colors. The round table with the skirt adds to the romantic look, but if it were me I would take that out and put in a coffee table - it looks like it would be hard to have a conversation because the plant on the table is blocking your view. Thats my 2cents for what its worth.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Ohhhh my gosh, I love it~ order that burlap cloth and call it a day!

• perky_2
    13 years ago

scooby, I am so loving your toile chairs. Is there a story there?

This is such a fun thread to follow. Your doing good. I loved the first arrangement but also love this one.

Special room - either way.

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Wow - so many terrific ideas in here.

I like the last arrangement because you have more ways to get to through the room. I don't know enough to offer any other thoughts except you have wonderful taste. So many of your pieces are yummy yummy.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I feel like I abandoned you guys!! I'm sorry! I got sick (maybe all the dust I am stirring up in this house) and have just dropped everything!

So, before I make a decision....here is another arrangement. Thank goodness for magic sliders - they are awesome.

Bored, yet?!! Thanks for hanging in here with me:) I really appreciate all the feedback and positive thoughts(critique is always welcome, too!)

Buffet (whatever it is) in entry

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Scoob- with such great pieces and colors to work with, you can change it up every couple of months and it would be absolutely lovely! fun fun thread!

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

I don't post here too often but I've been following this thread. I like this arrangement best. The burlap table cover would be stunning. You can still hang the mirror over the sofa if you like. I think your drapes are wonderful, but if your tired of them you can send them to me!
    Karen

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I like the last layout best...but, the first was really pretty too. I do think the couch looks best in front of the window as it seems a bit short on the wall. Something about the chair rail being higher than the back just makes it look small to me. BUT, I think whatever you end up settling with is going to be lovely. I'd love to have a room like this in my next house.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Last pic...call it a day. Love it!

• leahcate
    13 years ago

yay! You nailed it...perfecto!

• les917
    13 years ago

I love the cabinet in the entry. I think you might be happier with the couch in front of the window, as the drapery frames the piece and gives it more visual weight. The other issue with the couch on the long wall is that the height of the couch is almost identical to the height of the chair rail, making the couch feel shorter.

I think putting the tall chairs and table on the long wall will carry your eye up above the chair rail and give a feeling of more height and volume in the space.

• teacats
    13 years ago

BINGO!!! :)

Well done on all of your hard work!!!

Yes -- the last one looks wonderful!

Jan at rosemary Cottage

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

All were pretty, but the last one is beautiful!!!

Bravo!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That is a lot of work, you did a great job. Mirror over the couch will finish it off. I love that room!!! Wonderful colors and ambiance.

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I think your room is beautiful anyway you do it. You have great colors, nice furniture pieces, etc.

The first picture you posted said "wow" to me. I like the last one also, except that like some others said, the couch appears low. Then with the tall table in front of it, it seems to hide the sofa. If you do that set up, I'd get a shorter coffee table and something large and tall above the sofa.

But what do I know? I'm struggling with my own room!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I like the second to last arrangement (at 17:01) best because I think it fills the space nicer.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I think last one is much better, though I agree with Les about the sofa by the window due to the chair rail height. I love the buffet in the entryway - and that picture of the baby over it is so precious!!! You sure have some beautiful things. I love color and I just love your color combo's.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

LOVE the buffet in the foyer! It looks really good in there! I do like the set up you have now although I am torn between the settee in front of the window or along the wall. My concern is that wall looking too blank with just the chairs in front. Maybe filling it up with some of your beautiful art, or family photos? The baby picture is a good place to start. Move that into this room, center it and fill the space around it creating a nice gallery wall. You go girl!

• jjam
    13 years ago

Hi Scooby,

Once again, love your house no matter what you do to it. I've been following this one and love your concept. I honestly think your instincts were right with the first photo. Main thing in the room to get right is the ease of conversation, and for that, I think the couch and two chairs should face each other. The round table in the middle is great, and I also think the skirt on it is fine. For one thing, no worries about scratching/staining the table; which gives guests a more relaxed feeling, and you can change cloths as you like. I also agree with oceanna that the color is awesome. I've been looking at the BM fandeck and would never have guessed the color is Mystic Gold. Those chairs are to die for and the couch and pillows are sooooo nice. I also love your table in the foyer so have a slight preference to keep the buffet in the room on the long wall. Just my two cents; it's gorgeous any way you slice it and you and your guests will love it.

• eagertopaint
    13 years ago

Love the last arrangement....It is a beautiful room, no matter what you do with it...Love the draperies and fabric on the chairs as well... This is one of my favorite posts. I could just keep looking at your beautiful room.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am stopping in very quickly...supposed to be packing for a camping trip.

Once again, I want to say thank you all so very much for your thoughts and advice for this room! Much appreciated!

I see what some of you are saying about the wainscoting.....okay, I am really drawn to the trim being painted the same color as the walls these days - so I am thinking of painting the chair rail & trim boxes the wall color - leaving the base & crown creamy white. Crazy?! Maybe it will take away the short sofa feeling. The whole room needs to be repainted - many big holes in the walls & the paint is not holding up well. Seems like new sheetrock kinda soaks in the paint. But, anyways......

I'll be back next week to play some more!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oh I love that buffet in the foyer!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

"I think your drapes are wonderful, but if your tired of them you can send them to me! "

NO NO Nana Me first.

I love this arrangement. All of your plans are really great. This one is my favorite. The buffet in the foyer is so pretty too.I am loving it how you do have the options of changing things once in awhile too.

Have a great time on your camping trip. Hehehe I can see it now. You will be moving your came around the whole time.

Chris

• perky_2
    13 years ago

looking good!

I like the last one for sure.

Buffet in the foyer is adorable. Cozy room - love the placement - looking forward to the table :)

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

scooby: Each and every FP you have posted is absolutely lovely; however, I think jjam nailed it on the head when he mentioned how the first plan really promoted ease of conversation. I also prefer to see the chairs opposite the sofa and closer to the center table so that drinks and food can easily be taken on/off the table. Given the chandelier placement in the center of the room, putting the sofa in front of the window so it can be pulled out sufficiently for both drapery clearance and ease of reaching the table looks to work best of all the versions. The only potential downside looks to be the traffic pattern from entry to kitchen via the DR. I have similar layout in my house as well, but have an alternate pathway to the kitchen where the DR can be bypassed. If you do also, then my vote would also be for your initial plan for the reasons that jjam mentioned. I would however, package up your mirror and send it to me because it does not go and replace it with a piece of artwork. Don't you have some artwork you can use from the room that you are converting to your office? Perhaps that one of your son?

• Sophie Ingerslew
    13 years ago

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now.... I *heart* your house. Absolutely gorgeous!

• User
    13 years ago

Back again. Where would you put the table (?) you have in the foyer if you used the buffet there? I remember thinking it was really nice from a previous thread.

I wouldn't paint the trim and boxes but I see what Les is saying about the short sofa feeling. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the arrangements. My least favorite is the one where the buffet is in front of the window.

Have fun on your camping trip! It'll be good to leave this sit for awhile. Looking forward to seeing which you end up with.

Oh and when you get back Missy, you've got to tell me about that hunt fabric you posted in my thread. :)

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shee, the hunt fabric I picked up at an antique store. I know nothing about it & tried to look it up to no avail. I don't quite know what I am going to do with it.....

haha....I didn't rearrange the campsite!!

This makes it so hard....some like it one way and others another and others another!!

So, after walking around in the house for about a week these are my thoughts:

The buffet in the entry seems a little big. Then as you come into the den - there is another buffet with 2 lamps...kinda redundant.

The walkway that Val mentioned.....there is another way to the kitchen w/o going thru DR so maybe the 1st arrangement. I see about the mirror/buffet not jiving so much. Gotta think on that....where else I could use the mirror in my house. I do have this piece of art that I had above the buffet when it was in the sitting room....it is not especially a fine piece - got at garage sale but I do like the scene & of course, it has a dog - that's the reason I bought it. Yes, crazy dog lady here:)

>

• User
    13 years ago

I preferred the first arrangment, it was both aesthetically pleasing and functioned well for conversation. Liked everything about it except for the table in the centre. I would like to see a darker table no tablecloth, you have enough fabric in the room. The dark table would anchor the room.

Question for scooby, are all your ceilings painted other than white? Reason I ask, is I would like to paint ceilings in certain rooms but leave white in others and just wondered if that would look like the white ones were unfinished.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

scooby: My vote would be for the painting instead the mirror over the buffet. One thing I like about it is that it looks to have some of the greens that you have in your kitchen. You have so many very nice things. If ever you were to have a garage sale, I'll be flying out! If you were to recreate that buffet arrangement that you had in your sitting room in the DR, what do you think of changing out the lampshades? I think black would be dramatic, though am not sure how that would go with the picture. Unless, of course, you are thinking of repainting the room.

As for your mirror, it is lovely. Perhaps you could repurpose it in your foyer, MBR or bathroom. I forgot what was in our foyer before so not sure if it would work or not. Would you consider deglitzing the finish with some rub-n-buff?

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I missed this the first time around, but I just love this room. I think your first arrangement was best. The only issue I have is that it feels like a lot of lamps in one smallish room. You have chandelier plus 2 lamps on buffet plus the lamp by the sofa. Just feels a little much to me. Maybe get rid of the lamp by the sofa? Otherwise, it seems like a wonderfully cozy room and I also love your wall color.

• enailes
    13 years ago

I think no matter what you do it will be beautiful; but also loved the first arrangement as well. I like the mirror above the buffet because it serves as sort of another window (reflection) back into the room. I like the picture as well but would have to see it used in the room. It would be pretty in the foyer if you were swapping pictures around.