Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stargirl_gw

Favorite Decorating Books???

stargirl
13 years ago

We'll be going to the beach in a few weeks and I always like to take a good decorating book along. Do you have suggestions for books that pertain to French Country, cottage, shabby chic, Old World, or a combination of all of these? In other words, nothing that deals with modern or contemporary interiors. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I don't have any books in those styles, but I do have a great traditional one about famous women decorators that I recently bought and enjoy with lots of wonderful pictures, which is what I like in books. Most of my other books are tropical, MCM, retro and Tiki related.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Lady Decorators

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, vampiressrn. Sound like my kind of book. I failed to mention that I like tropical too.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Villa Decor by Betty Lou Phillips

Any decor book by Charles Faudree

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• annainpa
    13 years ago

Hey, Stargirl,
    Well--I always get stars in my eyes when anyone brings up French or English country and have bought lots of books (many used on Amazon, many at Borders or Barnes and Noble because I could not bear to walk out with them).
    The "Bringing it Home" (France, England, Sweden, Italy series by Cheryl MacLachlan are books that keep their place on my shelf and are muchly revisited. Anything by British author, Jocasta Innis is worthwhile--historically grounded but shabby-chic minded and licensed in whimsy as well. Find Cheryl's books here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Find Cheryl's books here:

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anna, I've been over at Amazon looking at the books by Cheryl MacLachlan. All have great reviews. These are the type books I'm looking for -- anything French or English Country. Jan, I've also been looking at the books by Betty Lou Phillips. I have heard of her but have never read any of her books. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I quite enjoyed Classic Country by Kathryn M. Ireland. I also liked Better Homes and Gardens New Cottage Style: Decorating Ideas for Casual, Comfortable Living by Better Homes & Gardens

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have the one by Better Homes and Gardens, forhgtv. However, I'm going now to check out Classic Country by Kathryn M. Ireland. I am so hooked on Amazon when it comes to decorating books.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Here is one of my favorite tropical books. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: French Island Elegance

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vampiressrn, I have that book and you're right, it is gorgeous. I used to refer to "my style" as French Tropical. One day I received a surprise in the mail from one of my forum friends, and it was this book. I was surprised to learn that my combination of styles really does exist, and it's referred to as French Island. Not only is this a good coffee table book, but it's a great read as well.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I'm glad someone else has this book too, it is definitely wonderful. I shared it with a friend of mine who is from Trinidad (her husband is from Nairobi) and she was thrilled to see it...she shared it with her husband too as some of the architecture pictured reminded her of homes she played in as a child (belonging to Aunts and Grandmothers). It was so rewarding to be able to conjure up memories for others with that style of decor!!! I really love that style. That book is always at the top of the heap on my coffee table.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County