Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English (rental) cottage style

Posted by SunnyCottage (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 17:42

As many of you know, my mother and I have adopted a tradition of traveling to England together annually. Part of the fun is in selecting "the" perfect cottage for our stay (actually, in 2013 it will be cottages, as we're dividing our time between two areas). A recent thread here on how people in other countries decorate prompted me to say something about how we seek out self-catering cottages in England with ample charm - something that is surprisingly not always easy to find. We love old properties that have been renovated to a nice standard. Cozy, clean, and cute are the operative words for us. I just came across this adorable little place in Bradford on Avon today called "Bridge Cottage." I have absolutely no affiliation with this rental, and we aren't staying here (although we may consider it for a future trip), but I was charmed by it and wanted to share with those who also love this style. I realize it's becoming somewhat cliched, but I don't think I will ever get tired of the Cath Kidston look. Click the photo to begin slideshow ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridge Cottage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English (rental) cottage style

What a lovely place. I look for old, charming places in the same way when we travel to France. It is so much fun browsing available rentals, isn't it!?,

o

Very very sweet! Who wouldn't enjoy a holiday there? So do you already have your itinerary for the next trip, Jen?

o

Cliched or not, I still love the look. I think it would be especially charming for a vacation.

o

Oops! I forgot to say thank you for sharing.

o

Love the blue glass hallway light fixture. Would it be hard to find something like that? What should I search for?

o

Blue hobnail glass shade.

o

Very charming, I wouldn't want to come home.

o

Very sweet, but that music does not go with the cottage at all!

o

Did you notice how the tv fit right in sitting on a simple, yet pretty chest? For me, less is more money wise. And this charming cottage is the epitome of comfy. Thanks for sharing!

o

I'm so glad some of you enjoyed the pics ... I worried after I posted them that nobody but me would find a rental interesting, but apparently that's not the case. I absolutely love the sofa in the living room. And the kitchen is so sweet (although were it mine, I'd decorate it slightly differently ;-)).

Our next trip will take us to Lavenham, Suffolk (one of the best preserved medieval wool towns in England) and Rutland Water. We've never spent time in either of those areas, and we're very much looking forward to it. Here's a shot of the Lavenham high street:

o

Here also is an exterior pic of the cottage where we'll be staying in Cottesmore (Rutland Water). It's called "Sticky End Cottage", which has a Winnie the Pooh and the Honeypot connotation.

o

Adorable.

Have you spent any time in Chester, yet? It is one of my favorite English villages. I would love to rent a charming little cottage there, someday!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here