Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnatemp

lamp shade help, please

johnatemp
15 years ago

Hi!

Gosh, I am sick of posting this room so I am sure yall are sick of seeing it!!

I could truly use some help with the accessorizing & lamps in here.

New(old) lamp on buffet got yesterday at antique store. You should have seen the shade they had on it - musta been 3ft tall!! Left it with them. Any ideas on a shade for that lamp? Or if you think it works - no loss - it was only $37

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The lamp on the brass tray table was an old one I had...I got out my black & bronze paint. I can't stand the shade that is on there.

{{!gwi}}

Also I don't like the fringe on the shade between the two chairs.????

{{!gwi}}

Got the chandelier hung but it seems too small -

{{!gwi}}

I am not keeping the rug - it is okay but just b/c it was cheap I thought I liked it. I think I can do better....

Here is a pic of the rug..

{{!gwi}}

So, any direction or guidance you may have, please, please share:)

Smiles:)

PS. Anyone know how to keep ivy alive inside???? Little plant is struggling but I don't want fake!!

Comments (14)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I think a shade style similar to the lamp you have on the rectangular chest, (minus the fringe), would be attractive on this lamp. I love the colors of this room, and it's the first time I've seen it, so don't think you've posted it too much!! If you're going to change out the rug, I would suggest one that was larger so the furniture legs were underneath, at least the fronts, anyway. Lovely wall color, do you recall what color it is?

Here is a link that might be useful: shade like this?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Wondering what the four thingies along the perimeter are and if the lamp can be wired as a candelabra (no shades), with dripping waxed candle sleeves : ) Although, with a chandy and another candelabra style in there, maybe not for this room!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Just saw this shade today. I think its style is really pretty on there and it reminds me of your room. Here's a red that's nice, too, but that would maybe make the lamp too focal? Linked is a closeup of the shade details, which you could replicate yourself. Shade Details

• User
    15 years ago

I was just on the Lampsplus site and they have a really great selection of shades, many of which would go fabulously with that lamp. Wish I knew photoshop well enough to zap some pics together but I don't..sorry. :c(

I love that lamp though and think it's perfect for the space.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nanny, thanks, I like that one & will cruise the site more. paint is BM Wilmington Tan. Yes, I agree about the rug touching the furniture - I think that is what is really bugging me!!

Squirrel - you are so awesome. What you do for everyone here.....I think you and Les need to go into an online decorating business!! You already have a portfolio:)

I like that one, too. Oh, and I am moving the goldish 4 arm lamps to the bedroom. So it is just all the darker lamps in there now.

I am in the mood with my house right now where I hate everything. Look at things and say "what the ##*&( was I thinking?" It seems I do better when someone gives me something & I want to make it work rather than trying to find something that works - does that make any sense??? I will get in spurts and hit antique stores & doubt my choices about most of my house. I think looking at house magazines mess me up, too. I look at these gorgeous homes & don't have the ability to pick out why it works so well in the photograph.

Blah, blah, blah.

I am wondering if I am bringing in too many black elements in here?? I could paint all the lamps cream & glaze them with brown & gold???? or silver??

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Hm, I adjusted my monitor last night and now the lampshade looks pink! It was a deep earthy red, like in your pillows.

Not sure if there's too much black without the big picture and being in there, but my eye is immediately drawn to the black shades of the chandy and kind of sticks there. Maybe it's just the high contrast of the black & white of the photo.

That room and your whole house is just beautiful!

You're welcome : ) and thanks for your nice words.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I am so not good with lamps and shades-- I never get it right... buuuuuuuuut..

my first thought was that the new lamp is too dark against the art and lovely buffet. As I read further, I see that you aren't afraid of paint-- I would definitely add some paint to soften it up. Just some highlights-- I think you do still need some "dark" over there.

I like the chandelier but I also think it is a bit too small. It looks ok but I would keep my eye out for one that is a little larger (larger circumference).

Just love your room and all the little details-- everything is interesting. All that you do now will just enhance the existing beauty. Don't sweat the small stuff.. and definitely stop beating yourself for the little things that aren't "perfect". It all works.. it really does!

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

Johnatemp - I LOVE your house!! I know what you mean about when you purpose to buy something particular, I usually never find what I'm looking for.

I like the new lamp but also think it looks maybe too dark for on your pretty buffet. Try the paint.

I love the chandy too but it may be a little too small.

Where did you get those oval pictures beside your mirror? They're really neat.

Still really like the rug you have but one that went under the furniture would look nice too. To bad it's not larger.

• nanmeade
    15 years ago

Johnatemp, I really love your room. I love the paint too. That was one of the choices I had during my last decision in my living room. The Powell Buff is really close to Wilmington Tan.

I was wondering since you are putting a tall lamp there, maybe it should be thinner and maybe two? Here's a photo I just found.

{{!gwi}}

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Love the lamp, don't think it's too dark, and I hope that you get more suggestions for a shade because I recently bought one similar in that it has what looks to be candle holder spots but it can't be wired up to look like candles. I fell in love with the shape, so got it anyway. I have no idea what to do for a shade, so I hope to see some ideas that you get :O)

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I LOVE your room AND the lamp! The lamp is so ornate,and IMO, shouldn't use a scalloped shade to compete with it~simple would look better, again, IMO. I like the shade with the beaded fringe, but it looks to small to be used with your lamp. I don't see the lamp as too dark either. ;o)

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi!
    I just wanted yall to know I wasn't fishing for compliments or anything.....the more I look at professional interiors the more insecure I feel about my abilities to create a beautiful & comfy space. This room has ended up being "left overs" from a bigger house & I am really having a hard time pulling it together. I don't know if I am going for soft, neutral & serene or more dressy classic & a little bold?????

So, it seems it is mixed about light/dark on the lamps?? Chandelier is too small but I am willing to live with it. I have never had crystals hanging & I love the way they look lit up. Change the shades????

Red, I will take a pic of 2 skinny buffet lamps I have in my DR tomorrow & see what yall think. Musical lamps at my house right now!! Yes, PB is very simliar to WT - I used PB on all my trim in my previous house & foyer & hall. Lovely color and your den looks gorgeous. You have so many beautiful pieces of furniture. Oh, and I saw your post about which picture & agree about the darling portrait of your daughter - esp. since your mother did it. It does not get any more special than that:)

Shee, the 2 bird plaques I got at an antique shop. Your entry is really pulling together. I like very much your new lamps & bunny planter. Good job, girl:)

Valzone, I would love to see your lamp. I really should have taken a pic of the shade they had on this one - it was HUMONGOUS(spel??)) I think I am going to look at Aidan Gray lamps to get some ideas, too.

I have moved so much stuff around in here - you should see all the holes in the walls!! Until I found this forum - I didn't really think as much about my home decor. Good & bad.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

The white shade that you don't like on the brass table -- you can buy fabric paint at Michaels and paint it. I think it would look nice painted bronze. I also think the chandelier shades would look better painted bronze with painted gold inside. I had white shades (too stark)on mine then I did them black (too stark)and didn't like them, then I did them bronze and did the insides gold and now I love them.(I wish I could get up the courage to paint my chandelier.)
    Also,I don't think the chandelier is too small, I just think the shades are too black. Your room is very pretty BTW.
    Joann

• valzone5
    15 years ago

I'll have to take a picture of mine. I saw a picture of a similar lamp today in the August Country Home and it had a black shade - very short but wide - and had candles put in the candle holding thingies. I couldn't believe I saw another lamp like that - that makes only 3 this style that I have ever seen. It's weird, but imo in a good way, LOL!