Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye30

How should I organize this living room?

buckeye30
9 years ago

We'll be moving into a new (to us) home in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking for advice on how we should set up the furniture/TV for the living room. As you can see from the pics, the room is fairly narrow with two sets of doors that open to the exterior and stairs opposite the exterior doors. Both are only single doors, however, so the spaces along the walls near the doors are still usable. The previous owners mounted a TV high on one of the side walls. I was inclined to make this a "no TV" room, but I've been overruled and need to figure out the best spot for a 50" TV.

My dilemma is that I'm not sure of the best way to make this setup work. How much furniture should we get (sofa/chair? sofa/loveseat? sofa/????)? Where should I have the TV to maximize sight lines from the seating?

Just looking for some ideas to maximize this space. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Like this:

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I love Tib's suggestion. The way it's now laid out, no one can watch tv and there's no conversation grouping.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I like Tibbrix's suggestion too.

Does anyone else have the urge to re-vacuum that floor?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix. I would have seating that is perpendicular to the fireplace and stairs. I would then mount the tv on the wall opposite the fireplace.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Lol Marti. I just want to grab some furniture from some other rooms to put in there. It's lacking.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix. Best layout for this room.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I would be inclined to float an L shaped sectional in this room, 4-5 feet off the staircase wall, with the longer part of the L facing the fireplace, with a flat screen TV on a console on the kitchen wall where the current TV is. You could also put another swivel chair in, angled at the fireplace left corner/window area. That way the chair could be turned one way for conversation, or the other for TV watching. Coffee table or large ottoman in the center.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first thing i would like to know.. is if sun shines in all those doors and windows..

it might be like staring into the Apocalypse trying to watch tv if it does.. especially with the lower declination of the sun in winter ...

and that is perhaps why.. the prior owner.. put the TV where it is now ...

and i dont understand bevs line drawing.. as it appears to me.. the TV is hanging from the stair railing ...

if you lost the battle of no tv ... i also dont understand.. all the couches.. not facing the TV ... i am suspecting some hardcore sports nuts.. who arent going to be sipping tea.. while discoursing on world events.. with the tv on low volume... lol ... or i am making a presumption ...

and i cant figure out.. if your TV will cover the heat registers up there ... and what sort of heck that might cause ...

good luck ...

ken

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Ken, imagine the tv on a low table/console where the couch is. it doesnt have to hang on the wall. If people are watching tv during the day and the sun is shining, I suspect they will use the window coverings to adjust the light.

I think it's a good arrangement, esp if the couches are back far enough that you can see the view out the windows, too. Probably not everyone is going to be watching tv at all times in that room.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't think the stair wall is big enough to hang a large tv and even if it were people would have to look sideways to view it with two sofas in front of the fireplace. I think nanny has the right idea........put your tv where current owner has theirs and float a sectional....though still not ideal. The only other option would be to essentially "close off" one of the French doors and have the tv angled in front of of one of them with a sofa where it is now...which of course would be practical but look odd. This is a very challenging space for tv viewing...if you have a formal LR it might have a better layout for watching and this room could become the LR.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm with Nanna2a in getting a sectional sofa. That was my first thought. With it you can make either the TV or the fireplace be the focal point. The TV would stay on the wall where it is, though I personally would lower it. Get room darkening WTs if you have to.

My reason for not wanting two facing sofas is, if you've ever had to twist your body or turn your head to watch TV for any length of time, you'll understand how uncomfortable that can be. Though the idea Tibbrix had looks great, it just doesn't work in real life.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Just get real bossy and tell the TV watchers to go get their own room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is that the only room available for watching TV? That room strikes me as not being a good TV room.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Though the idea Tibbrix had looks great, it just doesn't work in real life.

It does it you lay on the couch with your feet facing the TV, one guy per couch. Not that I am recommending that.

It would be a good idea to remember that layout when it comes time to sell the house. It would give you good photos.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I would keep the tv where it is, place one soft facing the tv perpendicular to the fireplace and have 2 swivel club chairs facing the sofa. That way everybody could comfortably watch or face each other for conversation.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Architect's must not watch TV. So often homes are not laid out for both TV and fireplace viewing. I think that's why so many started putting their TV's above the fireplace so there's only one focal point.
    Since you are forced to watch TV in this room, oaktonmom has a great idea suing two swivel chairs. I didn't even think of them, as they are very hard to find anymore. My folks, and early in my marriage, we always had at least one swivel chair in the living room.

• maddie260
    9 years ago

If you have another room for watching TV, can't you make this room off limits? I did in my house and no problem. I'd like to suggest if you go with the two sofa option that you look into wedge sofas; those straight sofas with a table in the middle look like lines of furniture to me. Wedges soften the area and make for a conversation area. I have a similar room to the one Tibbrix posted and the wedges were the solution to "manage" (for lack of a better word) it. Just my .02!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here is the layout for those who might have a hard time imagining 2 swivel chairs in place of a sofa.

It's hard to accurately depict this layout without actual dimensions, but I have my doubts that sectionals being sold today will be able to fit as described in some of the comments.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Beverly, I was actually suggesting that the tv stay on the current wall and flip the sofa and swivel chairs in your mock up. That way no one is having to turn their head to look at the television.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

OAKTONMOM is suggesting this layout.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I don't think swivel chairs are all that hard to find. The shop where I bought my sofa had the most comfortable swivel rocker that looked like an ordinary chair.

I know they carry Taylor King, so it may have been this chair

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The sectional layout Beverly posted is actually the exact layout we have (with the rectangle being our media cabinet and TV). It works great (swivel chair and all), however, our TV is low and our room is wider at 18' -- in a narrow room, it wouldn't work at all to have the TV above the fireplace. Oh, I just realized the flatscreen is on the far wall - that won't work because the swivel chair, and the person in the swivel chair, will block the view (generally just be in the way) of everyone else.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Actually, I wasn't suggesting a sectional. I'd have the sofa facing the tv on its current wall with 2 swivel chairs facing the sofa. I think the room is too narrow for a sectional.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think the room is too narrow for a sectional.

I think the room might be too narrow for a functionally-sized sofa facing the TV in its current location. There wouldn't be room to walk around it, and certainly no room for an end table. The hearth takes up a lot of the room's width, the stairs enter the room at one end, the TV is at the other end, and at the TV end, there are multiple doors leading other places, so there's got to be a path.