Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

"Pale Sea Mist" paint color--any "softer" alternatives?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi All,

We are still in the height of picking paint colors: our painters started today! I have a bunch of colors picked so far: "Greenmount Silk" for the hallways, "Sea Salt" by Sherwin Williams for the kitchen and family room, "Heavenly Blue" for the dining room, "Ocean Air" for the master bath, "Lavender Mist" for my daughter's room and "Yarmouth Blue" for one of my son's bedrooms.

I like colors in these soft and "fresh" tones. I would love to find a green for our living room and master bath, but it has been tricky to find a shade that isn't too bright or too drab. I like "Pale Sea Mist" in some lights, but in certain lights it looks a bit too bright and lime-ish for the rest of the palette. I have tried "Pale Avocado," "Sweet Caroline," "Soothing Aloe," "Dune Grass" and "Rainforest Dew," but none are quite right. I am thinking about "Celery" from Sherwin Williams, but I can't tell if it is more yellow than green. Have others tried this color?

I welcome any other suggestions. I am hoping for that soothing and "light and airy" feel that the other colors on our list seem to offer, but I would love to vary it up with some green too.

Thank you so much!

Sara

Comments (22)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love Yarmouth Blue. It's like being in the sea.

Check out the gorgeous BM Mount Saint Anne.

• newgardener_in_zone4
    9 years ago

I have a Valspar color color matched in my kitchen and living area called Lyndhurst Castle Sand. It doesn't look very green in photos but it is definitely a neutral green in my home. I have had it four years now and still love it. They have Valspar swatches at Lowes.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

Tibbrix, I chose Mount Saint Anne for the exterior of our previous house. LOVE that color! That one is somewhat similar to the blue-greens that I have already chosen: "Sea Salt," etc. In this case, I am looking for something that is much more in the green family but still "fresh" feeling. Any ideas? I always enjoy your input!

I will check out the other two colors in-person.

Please keep any additional ideas coming!

Thanks so much,

Sara

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about BM Woodland Hills or, for a bit more depth, Kiwi?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oops. Never mind. Those are too harsh.

How about Garland Green (BM)

Country Green

Veranda View

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I like "Pale Sea Mist" in some lights, but in certain lights it looks a bit too bright and lime-ish for the rest of the palette.

Grab a swatch of SW6414 Rice Paddy

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

When you said you had Greenmount Silk, my mind immediately went to Castleton Mist - but it's still pretty yellow.

Hancock Green could be a nice light clear green.

To me it seems more bath/bedroomy than living roomy. But I'll paint any room green (aka all rooms in my house are green).

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 8:35

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Iirc, the talented SueB swears by Soothing Aloe

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I really like SW Acanthus, it's in the Historic colors palette. I tried to find a place to use it in our house but couldn't.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Acanthus

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

OOOH! * waves hand furiously* Oooh! Me! Me! I know! I know! Teacher, call on me!!!

Just kidding, but I do have a good one. We had a room painted in an older Ace color (they can still make it) called "Olive Branch." You'll have to go look at it in person (ask for the old fan deck) because I can't find it online except for one swatch that doesn't look at all like it does in person.

It's just like the "Pale Sea Mist" but softer. I went all over town and scoured every green out there before landing on this one. It's the perfect balance- never goes too yellow or too blue depending on light changes and never slides into avocado or lime.
    Good luck!

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

This may be too pale, but Sherwin Williams opaline is a favorite soft green, in the photo. Matches many of the other colors you currently have in the home. Valspars winter in paris is also a soft green and goes great with sea salt.

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 12:14

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mtn, I appreciate your compliment! Just need to point out that the color is Healing Aloe, not Soothing Aloe....

If it's a green you want, though, I second Annie's recommendation for Soft Fern. Or how about Nantucket Breeze?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I used Restoration Hardware Silver Sage, mixed by Sherwin Williams, in my new house. I love it and have gotten many compliments on it. To my eye, it is a soft green with a slight blue undertone.

• lorishopaholic
    9 years ago

Try Tranquility by BM. I have it in my sunroom and it is such a soothing color. I had them pull out a few drops of the blue so it would read a bit gray. It depends on the lighting but it is bit green and blue without the green being overbearing if that makes sense. I just love it!

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Lorishopaholic,
    Can I bother you for a sunroom pic.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Sara, these colors all sound beautiful... I hope you show us the after pix!!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

OP, do a google search for Benjamin Moore Tranquility Tweaked. I think that's what lorishopaholic has in her sunroom. It's popular in the blogosphere and you'll find lots of nice pictures. It's really pretty and serene, although closer to grey than green.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore has Calming Aloe which is beautiful to me, and I usually don't care for green walls, but this one I would love to paint a room with.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas!! I looked at each and every color that was recommended and discovered so many beautiful colors along the wayI I came close to picking some of the suggested colors, but then a friend gave me her Farrow and Ball fan deck on loan. I came across "Green Ground," and it felt like a perfect match! We are using Safecoat paint, and they can match this color. One down...more to go! :-)

Many, many thanks again!

Sara

• fivefootzero
    9 years ago

We got Babbling Brook at Lowe's (not sure of their brand name) and everyone loves it. I used it in our living area and bathroom for our shore house. It is a color that just makes me happy. It's not entirely green or blue, but whatever it is, we get a load of compliments on it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sara, can you get just a sample of the Green Ground first? It looks very yellow to me.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Fairfax County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz