Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Your home, espclly bedrooms-- simlarly color theme or not?

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Are your bedrooms similarly colored or quite different from each other?

Doing new build, picking paint, intend house as navy white with some tan and/or black.

EXTERIOR ..... is grayish navy with white trim
DOWNSTAIRS. including master, will do navy white with tan.
UPSTAIRS ..... 1st bed /bath not navy but royal blue / white.
TV room, navy furniture

UNDECIDED - upstairs 2 more beds & hall bath (white tile),

Lots of very different styles in navy / white bedding.
Dislike SO many colors, probably most but a few exceptions also like which could use for undecided rooms or continue navy white theme.

Will feel better hearing what others have done

Comments (21)

• theclose
    9 years ago

I would go with what you like. If you like navy/white and want to use that throughout, then do so. I like so many colors I have a hard time choosing! The bedrooms are very different from one another (master: dark chocolate, nursery: pale pink, son's room: aqua). The downstairs rooms all vary but I think are complementary to one another (gray, pale pink, deep sagey green, sky-ish blue, deep tan).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Haha, it sounds like you don't have kids that are involved in decorating decisions.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

All my rooms are different. Some decorators I work for like colors to flow throughout a home.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I was going to say at least have each person pick out the colors for their own bedroom but as nosoccermom said you may not have kids in the house. I think unless the rooms are very connected each room can stand on their own.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

The master bedroom does follow the colour theme of the house but that's because it's colours that we like.

The kids chose their own colours - they do not follow the rest of the house. The walls had to match their ski jackets and that request was a new one for the designer. But she took their jackets with her and off she went. They were thrilled with the result.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I have only 3 wall colors in my entire house...SW Lattice in family room, kitchen, breakfast, hall, mudroom, master bed&bath & ds's bed&bath. It is a *very* soft, light grey. I have SW Grecian Ivory in dining room, foyer, study, powder, upstairs hall, playroom, guest room. It is a light taupe. I have SW Gratifying Green in dd's bed & bath, and in the connected vanity/sink that goes w/the guest room. It is a *very* light, soft green. I wanted the walls in our house to take a backseat to the furnishings and architectural details so I intentionally chose soft colors that played nicely together. :)

• roxanna
    9 years ago

son and his wife built a new house a year ago. the interior painters called it the "Crayola House" -- great room & kitchen = deep teal (cream cabs, very dark floor stain, black accessories), granddaughter's room = the shade of purple matching the flowers on this page, oldest grandson's = turquoise, and the little grandsons' shared room = french blue. kids' bath = bright lime. hall is neutral. this in a craftsman-influenced house...

somehow it all works!!

moral - go for what you love.

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

I like rooms that all work together color-wise---doesn't mean they all have to be in the same color family, though. I took into account what I could see of other rooms when in a particular room and tried to make that all work together. Like when I was in the master bedroom, I could see out into the hall and into another bedroom off the hall, so I picked colors that looked good from that view.

That was in my old house. Now I live in a little 3 room condo and I painted the LR, front entry, hall and bedroom the same pale gray because it seemed to make it flow better.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

The walls, broadloom, ceiling and trim are the same color in all of the bedrooms in this house, but the bedding, draperies and accents are different in each. I don't worry overmuch about color flow as my house is not on the market nor is it likely to be featured in a magazine spread.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Downstairs, stairwell, and hall there is flow. Most walls are SW napery or some color from the same color strip. All baseboards are the same color, although the small powder room is deep blue and the dining room has some deep red. These are more the public areas of the house and they are somewhat open to each other so flow is important.

Upstairs, since the bedrooms have doors, they have their own personalities. DD's room is being changed from peach to light turqouise, the boys bedroom is blue (that needs a refresh too). Their bathroom is split into 2 rooms so the sink area is lucent yellow and the bath area is dancing green.

My bedroom, being the place I go to recover/rejuvenate/calm down, is done in soothing colors and the master bath is a deep purple just because I love purple.

Basically, the rooms all reflect the way they are used. Downstairs has energy and is stimulating, the kids bathroom likewise is happy colors and the bedrooms reflect the needs of the people who use them.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I love homes with a cohesive color palette. However, I sacrifice (deeply- LOL) and let my kids select their room colors. I do try to steer them a little and have the value/intensity of color they choose suit the other color values in the house. Doesn't always work though. For years my daughters shared a room that looked like Barney exploded in there. :-)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Upstairs bedrooms can all be different....I think any bedrooms/baths on the first floor should blend in with the first floor color scheme.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's totally fine for each room to be its own theme. Personally, I really like a home where all of the rooms relate to one master palette or all share one common color with different accents.

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

In the house we just redid this summer, exterior trim went dark grey, interior living is medium-dark grey. 4 yo room is medium purple (pretty but not boldly vibrant) sons room is a grey blue-dark, master is dark navy (SW Peppercorn-highly recommend this color...get an actual sample...so luscious!...I have a crystal type light, not chandelier, and it is all perfect....would love this color on the exterior of a new build...so pretty, dark, navy, but colorful..)

My previous home was greyed down colors too. There is so much you can do with navy to give each room its own twist. Based on your color choices, I would suggest maybe a darker tan, kind of a medium-dark chocolate-brownish tan....Ralph Lauren style...maybe even the "paper bag" walls? Don't be afraid to go dark...lots of people would be scared of so much navy...I love darker colors...my mother and my DH always want me to go with a lighter color than my color card....then my mom asks to copy my color(she actually did steal my kitchen/dining color in her million $ home....haha!). I think the dark colors have a way of making such a cozy space...and my current rehab home only has about 6 windows, so even darker....I just love how dark colors make a Home feel. I do think that the perfect tan, not yellowish beige would fit with your likes...I would suggest Lambert & Pratt. Ralph Lauren, SW, Benjamin Moore....but don't be afraid of darker samples of tan(don't think you would!)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Every room is a different color, but I love the orange and yellow family so I have those throughout...except for the kids' rooms. They have, or will have, colors that they choose.

The light is very different in each room, as well. What works well in our living room would not be as nice in our bedroom because they face different directions. The exceptions are our small entry, living room, and the hall to the bedrooms. They are the same, or nearly the same to adjust for light.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Walls, carpet, yes, décor, fabrics no

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I like using a three color system. The primary color, secondary color and a highlight color or accent color. I prefer to use different accent colors in each room keeping the hues in the same family. Use accent colors in moderation.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

our house (moved in last weekend) is painted two colors sw antique white and sw windowpane (read cream and very pale blue) with white trim
    most of the rooms are painted antique white with windowpane ceilings
    some of the bedrooms are windowpane with windowpane ceilings and 1 is windowpane with antique white ceiling
    all other homes i've owned have been painted in the same color family

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was nice going thru all your houses :D, even looked up every color mentioned!

Yes no kids to assign room colors as this is is 2nd beach home. Heading in morning (2hrs away) which will include seeing some paint samples up but great help hearing your thoughts on this.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Intentional or not it would be most common for a given house to have all colors from one family of colors. Probably not coincidentally I am an "autumn" (remember back in the 80's when every one was having their season done for clothes shopping?) My house is done in autumn colors inside and out. No two rooms are the same exact color scheme--but they are all related. This was not intentional--it just is born from the colors I prefer! I have never been a slave to what is "in" color wise. In fact when I married and was having wedding showers I had to return A LOT of peach and powder green. UGH!! Pastels have never warmed my heart!! I would be uncomfortable living in a home with say Black and White. I think we feel "at home" when we are surrounded by things that reflect us. I am blessed DH's tastes are so similar to mine. Having said that I look around and see my walls "read" some shade of white. I prefer the decorating style of blank canvas (wall color) with the rest of what goes in a room carrying the color/style.

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

When we were house hunting, we walked into what is now our house and I fell for the feel of it. The entire house is neutrals, and I remember during the walk through seeing a couple of paint cards that were clearly used to select paint colors when going on the market. Colors range from an antique white to creams, mid-tone browns, squash (an orange-leaning tan) and a very, very dark brown, with wood floors and basic white tile. It really felt very cohesive to me, The house flowed well, both in floor plan and color.
    I knew I could move in and not have to do a thing for a good long while and that all of my furnishings could be dropped in and look put together quickly.
    The move went quickly, furnishing were placed and then I felt a huge sense of disappointment for the next few months. I felt it was just "blah" and started to get the itch to paint. But once I started to unpack art and accessories and add pops of color through those avenues and a little green in every room (matters to me so much! I don't know why). I think green=life...must be part of dealing with living in Western New York and having snow and slush and greyness for 6 months a year, it started to come to life. And everything I owned went up on the walls with no need to paint because neutrals are just that- neutrals! They go with pretty much everything.
    One caveat- my two girls who are 7 and 19 want their own colors desperately in their bedrooms. The youngest wants a soft pink or green that I will pull from her duvet cover and the 19 year old is looking for a plum or soft blue-grey. And as another person mentioned, there are doors on the bedrooms and they will get what they want! My love for interior design started when my parents let me pick my own paint color for my room when I was 7 or 8!