Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jas52_gw

Step down and table

jas52
9 years ago

Hi! I have a step down from my kitchen to my dining room. I was wondering if it is possible to put a rectangular table over the step. We would have to have the table made for us and it would have to be very heavy so it would not move. Legs would be shorter on the kitchen side and longer on the side that it is in the dining room. There would be stools on that side and chairs on the other. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this or if it is even possible.
Thank you!

Comments (12)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I'm having a really hard time picturing that. Can you post a pic of the space?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Are you planning to completely block off the step down area? If so, wouldn't it be awkward to get to the other side (dining room side) since you would need to enter the dining room from another space? If not, I think it would make it very dangerous as the assumption by someone unfamiliar with your table/space would possibly (probably) assume it was a level floor without a step down.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't understand how you'd keep the chairs from falling off the step...sounds very unsafe to me.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I can picture what you want and don't see why anyone would think the chairs would fall off the edge if the table is there. I'm imagining it's a long expanse of step down and you want to put a table over just a part of it?

You can have someone build it, but it seems awkward visually to imagine. How will you light the area above the table?

Is this the kind of step down you mean? If you post pics of your room, maybe there is another solution for you?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I know it sounds simple: cut the legs down on one side and the table will be level. Your chair/stool solution might work, but why do it at all. Does the step-down pose a problem?

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

My knee-jerk reaction is the fall hazard when someone is walking around the table, perhaps to set the table or collect dishes to bring to the kitchen. How will you prevent people from tripping?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

If I understand what you mean, I think it is bad both functionally and aesthetically. Other than that it's fine. ; )

• User
    9 years ago

It will look bad and will be a safety hazard. If you don't mind losing the ceiling height why don't you build up the floor in the dining room?

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Of course it's possible but why do you want to do this in the first place? Do you not have enough room in either area for a table?

We have a step down from eat-in kitchen area to our family room. It never occurred to me to have a table straddle the step. Doesn't seem safe for a number of reasons.

Would love to see a picture of your space for reference.

• camlan
    9 years ago

It sounds to me as if you are trying to solve a specific problem with this table-over-the-step solution.

If you would be willing to post what the actual problem is, there are a lot of wise and talented people here who could give you solutions that might work a bit better.

• jas52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if it would be unsafe too. I guess building up the floor makes more sense - has anyone here done that?

Right now there is a half wall there and we want to remove the wall. It is a wide area and there would be no problem getting around the table, but you are all right, someone not familiar could fall. The dining room is not really big and it has a fireplace. We would like to have a little sitting area in front of fireplace and putting the table over the step would give us more room. I will try to post a picture.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Think about moving a seating area into the dining room by the fireplace and moving the dining area elsewhere if there is room...even on one end of the living room, if it would be convenient.