Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Show me your bedroom built-ins please

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

We will be putting some built-ins in our new bedroom as part of a renovation and have the opportunity to add some to the second bedroom as well. We had a great woodworker lined up to build them for us, but his strength is in the building, not the designing. Built-ins to me are one of those things that have infinite possibilities and there are so many clever things that can be done with them, so I don't want to miss an opportunity to incorporate something really great.

I'd love to see pictures of your built-ins (bedroom preferred, but really any built-ins can be a source of inspiration) and things you might have done differently or parts of them that you are very happy with.

Comments (11)

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

We don't exactly have a built in's, however, we have a bookshelf unit all around our bed that we built years ago.
    At one time there was a 'end table shelf' built out to represent end tables.
    We have since made end tables and re-constructed the bottom end table shelf's to just be a bookshelf.
    I do have pictures if that's something you're interested
    in. Joann

• crescent50
    13 years ago

Almost completed built-ins in our 3 year old's bedroom:

Here is a better quality picture that shows the details before the doors were installed:

The 2 window seats have piano hinges that I am hoping will be great for storing blankets/stuffed animals. According to my daughter though, they are beds for her dolls & perfect hiding spots for my 7 year old :)
    I intend to put a cushion on top.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are gorgeous and exactly the kind of thing I'm envisioning. Jay, I love the linen cupboard ... so much more character than a regular old closet door. And Crescent 50, I've been admiring those built-ins in your daughter's room. That will be so nice for storage!

Joann, I'd love to see yours too, if you have a picture handy.

Gosh I just love off-white painted built-ins ... I'm not sure what it is about them but I just go gaga for them!

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

Yikes, those built-ins are gorgeous.
    Mine is really a book shelf unit. It spans
    across the top as well (not visable in
    the photo) As I stated above, before we made
    the end tables, the bottom shelves were deeper
    and acted as end tables.

originally it was stained, when we painted the bedroom,
    we painted the unit with a semi-gloss paint a shade darker
    than the wall paint.

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

I have a sitting area in my master bedroom that has a gas fireplace and bookshelves. The open door hides the right side of the shelves, but you can get the idea. Previous owners had this done, and they had a small fridge in the left hand cabinet plus a coffeepot on the lower shelf.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Am I the only one who is nervous about children playing in the piano hinged built-ins?

• User
    13 years ago

Ellendi, I was thinking the same thing.
    Better to have some air holes in the front somewhere. Or a sort of lock to keep them out. Hiding in places such as old refrigerators seems to be one of the hazards of childhood.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i don't think enough air would be a problem...not like a sealed frig...but definitely want to make sure safety hinges are put on so that the top won't slam down on a little one's head. some piano bench hinges might be safety and need to be manually closed, but ours slams closed if we let it...

• marilyn234
    13 years ago

Jolsongoude, absolutely beautiful built-ins...Do you mind sharing your wall & trim color and manufacturer.

Annkathryn another beautiful home and love your paint color also, do you mind telling me the color of the walls...nice green
    Marilyn

• jolsongoude
    13 years ago

Thank you Marilyn,

This is a cut and paste from the "It's September..." thread on the "Building a Home" forum. (link below)

There are two sets of photos in that thread, each with a link to my website of photos of the project.

Paint colors are as follows:
    Exterior: SW Moderne White / Roof is Metal Sales Ash Gray
    Interior trim: SW Snowbound semi-gloss
    Ceilings, closets & workroom downstairs: SW Snowbound
    Link, laundry room & hallway to laundry room: SW Humble Gold
    Bathrooms: SW Grassland
    All other rooms: SW Ancient Marble

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: It's September- How is your build progressing? thread