Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Your lever style door knob ----

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Im choosing door levers, have had them prior but sure ive used them before (dont remember) and Ive a concern..

If you are right-handed, facing a lever on a doors right side, how exactly do you grasp handle / turn it counterclockwise?

Is it overhanded, palm DOWN & then turn hand counter clockwise or underhanded, palm UP from beneath and 'pull' lever down counter clockwise?

Seems natural to grab overhand but then awkward turning wrist counterclockwise. Underhand doesnt seem as natural but then turning wrist clockwise seems better. Since every door has lever on the right on one of the sides, concerned whether this will ever seem natural using them.

ALSO.....

Did you need to get used to using levers?
I open a door, not conscious Im turning doorknob - so automated, wondering if will ever be as comfortable with levers.

ALSO
Do any of these seem particularly comfortable or uncomfortable? I prefer look of levers, especially curvy ones. Maybe yours looks likes one of these?

Comments (29)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Levers make it much easier to open doors. We have the Flair style installed throughout the house. I put my hand with the palm on the lever part, and my fingers bent over the back (similar to how you would open a car door). I push down with the palm, move my arm back a bit, and the door swings opens--all in one action. No twisting/or switching of hand positions necessary. In fact, if my hands are full, I often push down and open them by just using an elbow. I love 'em.

edit to change style--they look closer to Flair, rather than Accent. We have Accent on our outdoor gates.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 17:10

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I never really paid attention to how I open our level door handles. I'll try to make a note of it and post back.

One thing I did want to mention, is that levers make it very simple for pets to enter closed off rooms. Something you might want to think about :)

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

We have the accent style. I never thought about how I open them! Overthinking much ;) And I do much like Gyr_Falcon, palm down, turn down and push.

Levers are easy though, so much so that when my DS was tiny, I was thinking of putting the round balls up again! I got over that and it's all good.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 17:23

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have all levers and I had to see how I open them because I never noticed it being awkward. I discovered that if the lever is on the left side of the door, I use my right hand to open it by pushing down. If the the lever is on the right side of the door, I use my left hand with the same motion of pushing down on the handle. My right hand is my dominant hand, but it seems natural to use the left one when the lever is on the right.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Mine are shaped like this, although this is not what I have

Notice the "tail" points up, not down. That means that I pull up on it, instead of pushing down like most folks do. If the "tail" pointed down, and I pushed down instead of pulled up, it would be easier. I thought the tail pointing up looked "happier." That is a really goofy reason for choosing a particular piece of hardware!

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG

I will match your "I dont remember" replies and raise you an "I asked question not remembering a lever IS our inside front door!!!... AND ...its on right side too! (Buying levers for new build, all doors).

Yet, couldnt answer my own question staring, reaching for it without leaving, doing a hurry go answer the door firedrilll and --like Fun2be, palm down LEFT hand opening it.

and I was concerned if would be weird using levers when not even conscious several times a weekly I already do.

• allieboop
    9 years ago

I use both hands also depending on the direction of the door handle. We have the Avanti style in satin nickel. I live them still and would never go back to knobs.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I like Champagne and Jazz - together!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I have the Merano in polished chrome and have gotten compliments on them. From the type of people who notice door hardware (so not that many people).

Overhand and push down...and yes we had a cat who learned how to operate levers in our last home! Our cats now are too dumb.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I have flare through out my house. If I'm carrying something like laundry, I like that I can just use my elbow and push down to release the door. With my hand, I just push down lightly, barely gripping the handle to pull the door open.

I'm so glad I put lever handles through the house instead of knobs- they really are easier to use. And yes, my cats quickly learned to open the doors so I had to learn new tricks to contain them when necessary.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I used these Schlage levers (F40 FLA 609) on two bathroom doors because they were very comfortable to grip, looked nice, had a high-quality feel, and yet were relatively inexpensive stock items from Home Depot:

Both of them are on the right side when inside the room, and though I'm right-handed I still use my left hand on these since that's what's closer and less awkward. It can still be pushed upward if need be, or you can use your elbows if your hands are full (ironically given the above posts, the contractor installed them upside down with the squiggle at the end jutting upward, and I made him "fix" it). I went with levers because hands are sometimes damp when leaving a bathroom which can make using a round doorknob more difficult. Also, I don't know if other people are diligent about handwashing after using the bathroom, and so if I'm about to eat a meal (or snack food that doesn't involve utensils) I often push upward with the top of my hand rather than using my palm, so that way my hands and fingers will definitely be clean even if the doorknob isn't. I'm not a germophobe, but I do want clean hands when I'm about to eat. I don't like washing my hands and then grasping what may be an unclean doorknob to leave the bathroom.

Everywhere else inside the house I used Delaney EZ Set round knobs in a style they call Bala. These are even less expensive, but they too feel like a very high-quality piece, not unlike much pricier Baldwin hardware. They are almost perfectly spherical and feel substantial when used, but you definitely need a tighter grip than a lever would require and there's no way you're opening the door with your elbow or the top of your hand. The polished brass finish matches that used on the Schlage levers (not in the pictures, but in real life).

Anyway, I didn't find it took any time to get used to the levers - I've used levers frequently in other peoples' houses and hotels so was used to them already. I also used a lever handle on the new front entry door (a different style for exterior doors) for many of the same reasons. For the front entry door especially, it's useful to be able to open the door with your elbow (or the box I'm carrying) when my hands are full.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Installed them in a home because I thought they looked chic and then caught clothes pockets with the levers if I was too close to the doors, and tore numerous shorts and robes. I will stick with knobs.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I prefer knobs aesthetically, but current home has levers that were here when we bought. There are ergonomic advantages to levers, for sure, but they are easier for small children and pets to open, as has been noted. My previous dog figured them out quickly. (My current dog just whines at the door until someone opens it for her.)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Mine are like the accent. I usually just push down on the lever with my fingertips and if my hands are full, push down with whatever body part is handy and push against the door.

I did have to quit wearing jeans with slash pockets though after the handle slid into my pocket and as I stepped forward the door popped back and hit me in the face.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

You just push down. It's very logical and you don't have to think about it, or whether it's clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Cats can open inward-facing doors. :)

• camlan
    9 years ago

They have child safety devices for the levers, just as they do for knobs. Might work for pets, too.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Now my cats are more prone to closing doors. I have to door-stop wedge every single one open, including closets, or Zephyr will close the door with himself inside. It's a good thing I typically don't close any doors in my house.

• evenshade
    9 years ago

Levers are great...I must prefer them to knobs. The nicest thing about them (we just have then on exterior doors) is that you can use your elbow when your hands are full. :)

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

would like recommendation for nice looking lever (brushed nickel) for front door.

the schlage series i have found don't look "substantial" enough to me for a front door.

thank you.

• amykath
    9 years ago

We went with this one from Emtek. You can get it in satin nickel which is the same as brushed. We went with the milano lever. They have tons of choices for levers or knobs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to door hardware

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

thank you, artillery

your choice is very handsome.

i am trying to find a device with levers on both exterior and interior.

Schlage makes a keyed entry lever, but it doesn't say much for a front door!

• robin44444
    9 years ago

As Errant said, pets can be a consideration. Also, if you live in bear country you'll want to lock your ground-level exterior doors from the inside. Not hard to do, of course, but it is an extra step.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

So I had to get up and go see how I actually opened my doors. I think it's the one thing that is consistent thru out the entire house (with the exception of the exterior doors). I too use right hand for left installs and left hand for right installs. I'm right handed and had absolutely no trouble or even a thought about reaching for the handle with my left hand. You can even open them with the underside of your forearm in your hands are full. And I thought I was an over analyzer (g)

We have an Emtek exterior handle (not lever) and a Schlage. The Emtek is by far a better quality handle.

• withoutanh
    9 years ago

We have lever handles throughout our house. Our Airedale can open all of them. This lead to putting deadbolts on some interior doors.....

Also, they grab clothing and the tubing for a medical device my DH uses. At my work there are more substantial, commercial-size handles where the lever curves in toward the door and is less apt to catch on things. I wish I had thought of that when I selected the ones we have.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Beverly 27....I always found with lever door handles, I caught my robe sleeve or pocket on them and tore many sleeves/pockets. I guess if you got used to levers, it would be okay. We have round knobs and even they are hard to open if you have gloves (our basement door) on. Guess it is whatever you are used to but I can see how pets would learn to open doors with levers.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Aside from pets, levers make it easy for Grandkids to come barging into the bedroom and then bathroom. Seriously, I think my Grandson can make it in the house, up the stairs, through my room and into my bath before I hear the front door slam :o

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I have flair style ones. I bought them backwards, so they are all facing UP instead of down. I heard down was how they are supposed to go. There's a way to tell if you need a RH or LH one... stand within the door frame with your back to the hinge-side of the jamb, with the door open. If the door is open on your left, you have a left-handed door. If the door is open on your right, it is a right-handed door. Now if I'd of read that first.... but the guy told me the levers were okay no matter what (he lied apparently because it was an Ebay purchase). So now I have "up" facing levers unless I want to get all new ones. So far, nobody's noticed though? Does it really matter in the scheme of life? I'm letting this one slide! Oh and I have kwikset locks; you can push up or down on them. It doesn't matter. You will not need to think about it. You're brain will just do what is natural. An they are as comfortable as knobs. As for the person whose ripping pockets, I don't think anyone's had that problem here except for the robes on the back of the door. They will get caught on the levers. But the part about opening the doors easily with filled hands is true and the entire reason to get these types of knobs (other than aesthetics).

This post was edited by dahoov2 on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 1:40

• patriceny
    9 years ago

I've had both levers and round knobs. I far prefer the levers. They are so much easier to open when your hands are full.

I also never catch my pockets on them and I'm a world-class klutz. So after reading this thread I actually TRIED to catch my pockets on one, and found out it's almost not possible with my handles. The reason is the "tail" of the handle on mine points back toward the door. You have to be getting really groovy with the handle to catch your pockets on these things. :)