Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Does anyone use the flocked slimline hangers in the closet ?

I am considering updating our hangers to these. I saw 50 for 30$ at bed bath and beyond , I believe by the real simple mag line. I know it's kind of a trivial thing , they are just hangers after all . But I think they will look fresher and nicer than the mixed color plastic ones we own.
Yay or nay ? Do they shed the flocking at all or is it just a waste of money ?
Thanks ! :)

Comments (44)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I use them and like them a lot.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I bought some at BB&B. I found that the metal hanger part snapped off the flocked plastic part after a while. Too bad, because other than that would be good. I won't buy them again. Maybe another brand would be better, IDK. These were the only kind sold at BB&B and I don't recall the name.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I got something like that at home goods and don't love them. The good side is that the flocking holds clothes well and things don't slip off. The bad side is that the flocking makes it harder to get clothes on or off when you want to do that. But, with things that slip off hangers easily, they are useful.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have some and don't like them at all (for the reasons coll_123 stated). I like all my hangars to match, so I'm reverting to all white-plastic hangers (other than for slacks -- I have a preferred type of hanger for those - the Z shape with the rubbery part to hold the slacks in place)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have them, too. I have had a few where the hanger hook has broken, but I think that comes from SO trying to yank things off of them. His clothes are all on plastic hangers, now, while mine are mostly on flocked. I keep heavy coats on wood and slacks on the ones hockeyfan described.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I use them only for pants, they stay on really well and take up less room. I don't use them for anything else because they stay on really well lol!

The hanger hook does break off too easily, and it doesn't twist at all so if you ever hang things from the edge of a wire shelf, it'll break. But, now that we figured that out, and they aren't outrageously expensive, I like them just fine.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

There's huge differences between those various flocked hangers, they are definitely not all the same quality. Some are so flimsy a heavy shirt will Bend and break them. Some the metal hanger part breaks off easily. We did change over completely to them, I can't stand metal or the big round plastic ones. But we only buy them from Costco. I made the mistake of thinking they were all the same and ended up throwing several away that broke and putting the rest of the batch in the donate basket.
    So test them! Try flexing them if they flex easily don't buy them.
    We buy the big box of them at Costco and keep an extra box in the hall closet.
    We do like the good ones. They do hold clothes on good. It is more difficult to get clothes on them due to the clinging. They take up way less space in the closet over those horrible round plastic things.
    The only thing I wish they had is a spinning hanger hook I really like that on a hanger. I almost went with the clear heavy plastic hangers strictly because they have a spinning hanger.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I've never had a hook come off of any, but I can't recall where I bought mine. I know it wasn't BB&B, though. It's kind of a six of one, half dozen of another thing: Yes, they keep clothes from slipping off, but because of that, they make clothes a bit harder to take off. So you have to decide which bothers you more: clothes constantly slipping off of hangers, or maybe having to lift the hanger off the bar to take the item off. I definitely prefer the latter.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Maybe they are breaking because it's such a struggle to get the clothes off them! Like I said, they can be useful...so many ladies shirts now are made of slinky jersey etc. Its a wonder half the stuff in stores these days isn't laying on the ground. And I hate having to fish around for those strings to hold my shirts onto a hanger. I don't mind mismatched hangers, so use all kinds, except wire ones. No wire hangers EEEEEVER!!!

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

I bought some for myself and my 23 yr old daughter from HSN - Joy Mangino brand. I really like them. I had the white plastic hangars before and I am amazed at the space I saved with the new ones. Although I have a decent closet setup, the clothes were starting to get a little crammed and these hangars allow me to move the clothing around much easier as I look for what I want to wear that day. And the blouses do not slip as before. I have since purchased more - both purchases were made during sales.

My only complaint is with the clips for pants - thought those to be pricey. My main complaint with them is that the pants hang much lower than they did with the other pant hangars I had been using. Stumped now, because like others here, I like my hangars to match. I could refigure the closet, but that would leave me with about 6" X 36" of dead space at the top of the pants.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm thank you all for the quick responses !! I think I may see if there is a costco nearby , we were talking about getting a warehouse membership anyway . I don't want to waste money if they will just break ... Maybe I'll just get rid of the colored ones and stick with the white plastic if nothing else . My dh is definitely a pull off hanger type .
    Thankful for all your help !!

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Are we allowed to mention brand names? I have the original flocked hangers made by Joy Mangano, sold on the network that is Not qvc, and I love them!. Have been using them exclusively for about eight years and have never had any kind of problem. The color choices are beautiful, the flocking absolutely does not shed - and I hang clothes straight from the washer to line dry on them - and they do not break. Okay, one time one side of a hanger caught in the door jamb, I didn't notice, and when I closed the door firmly, the hanger snapped in two. Not a biggie.

My clothes line up beautifully and neatly, stay in place on the hanger, and I don't mind hsving to remove something a bit more slowly rather than just yanking it off. I would like the wire part to twist around (it doesn't), but again, that was a small adjustment to make. I will never buy any other kind of hanger. However, we are in a mild climate and I don't have any heavy shoulder-padded suit jackets or long wool coats, so don't know how those would work out.

You can find Joy on hsn. She does a very hard sell (I give her a lot of credit; she is a self-made woman); I find her entertaining. Every so often I think about changing my hangers from all camel-colored to a light aqua. Everyone should have such a problem.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I use the Costco ones and love them. Have never had one break, and I can't even imagine them bending. They are very solid.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I bought mine at Costco probably 4-5 years ago, and the odd one has broken, but the flocking has not come off and we love them! It made a world of difference to the look and organization of our closet.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I tried the flocked and hated them because of the difficulty getting non-silky things on and off them...too much of a pain for me.

I have very roomy walk-in closets so, switched entirely to all black wooden hangers with metal swivel heads. For items that tend to slip off too easily I insert ball-head tacks at the shoulder points on the hanger to keep those few items from falling off. They do take up a bit more room if you're tight on space, but It also keeps things from getting wrinkled from being jammed in.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, we use them only for pants but not the hangers with clips. We just hang them over the normal hangers.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Sounds like I need to go shopping at Costco

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

This will sound kind of strange. We bought them at bed bath and beyond ....I think they were the real simple brand. There's nothing wrong with them per se but I don't like the way they make my closet look ...the clothes are too close together, if that's a strange thing to say⦠I ended up getting sort of an oatmeal linen type padded hanger, also from bed Bath and beyond, and I really like the spacing that it creates between my clothes and I think it keeps them from getting wrinkled.

• newgardener_in_zone4
    9 years ago

I think they are $10 for 30 or 50 hangers at Costco so much cheaper. I love them and use them for all my clothes. My husband doesn't care for them because he doesn't like the extra "effort".

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I bought the Costco hangers and they are okay, no shedding, but I really don't like that you can't swivel the hook. I would say maybe 5 or 6 of mine have lost the hook, too, and it was not from yanking or twisting. I decided to not buy them again and switched to wood. I found this great company that makes cedar hangers in the USA...if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Made in usa hangers

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

We have limited space, so the narrow profile is important in our situation. I can appreciate that there are nicer choices without that constraint.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Who would have thought there would be so much to learn of hangers ? :) but I'm glad I asked . I get the feeling I wouldn't love them , aside from looks . I think I slide and pull the clothes off more than I realize I do .
    Maybe the money spent on the hangers can be put toward a new iron . Mine has been getting a build up like rust , but it's a rowenta so I don't think it's rust . Anyway , $100 could buy a new iron and all white hangers ! :)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

An iron!? What is that! I'm just relived to hear that there are other people as lazy as I am about wrenching clothes off that flocking. I know, it adds like an extra half a second, but it feels like forever!

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

Re the HSN Joy Mangino hangers... I just bought mine but I have been able to swivel the hook. Don't know what would happen if I did that all the time, but for now as I am transferring over all my clothes periodically I have to swivel them - easy breezy. I do not see using these for heavy coats - for me, you really need the wooden hangers for New England winter coats IMHO.

I need my pants to hang straight down so I must use the hooks. I'll figure something out.

Sable... laughed when I read your post. I first bought the hangers for my daughter's (23rd) birthday. Wasn't sure which color she would like so I bought her two favorites - pink and emerald green, thinking I would keep the one she rejected. Well, I got the green, and did buy more sets as I mentioned. But when I look at her closet I get "pink envy," hmmm... should I??? Honestly that should be my only problem in life!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

good to hear those with hangers from hsn like them. I want to buy some myself. couldn't decide on the last sale what color...ha! maybe I'll catch a sale this yr.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Have them, like them, but have to be careful not to overload the rack due to the slim line. I use different hangars for pants and skirts and heavier jackets. Have not had a single one break but I'm careful with how I put on and take off items. I think I bought some at BB&B and somewhere else but can't remember where. Maybe Costco.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I have the type from Costco and like them a lot. Mine swivel.... Do the new ones not? I changed about five years ago, so maybe the new batch is different. I first bought them for a home with small closets so more clothing would fit.

I have broken some by being very rough when taking a shirt off; however, I can see someone with a softer touch never breaking one. For the record, I have probably broken just as many plastic hangers.

The flocking does not come off at all, I like how neat and tidy they look and I love that they hold on to my clothing. The negative about it being difficult to get clothes on to them is true, except I got used to that shortly and never notice it now.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I use them and love them. Sooooo much better than slick hangers which make the clothes fall off, in particular for tops. I've never had a problem with them breaking.

The clips are useless, though. I use regular hangers with metal clips for pants and skirts.

• pcweary
    9 years ago

I have the Joy Mangano hangers and they were purchased from BBY.
    It takes a couple of seconds longer to get clothes on the hanger and draping correctly but once on, the clothes stay. Hook swivels and I have had no problem with flocking, dye transfer or breaking. The space that you gain is great so I am a very happy camper with the JM hangers.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Thought of this thread as I was gathering hangers for the laundry this morning. This happened as I took it off the rod.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Two words: CAT HAIR!

• mary9915
    9 years ago

I don't care for the way the clothes cling to the hangers and I think they jam the clothes too tightly together.

When we finished our master closet we bought wooden hangers from Ikea for it. I like the way it looks and the way the wooden hangers separate the clothes. I think the hangers were $3 or $4 for 8 hangers? I'm slowly converting the rest of my closets to them.

• User
    9 years ago

I have bought flocked hangers from various stores and the hooks all seem prone to breaking, regardless of the brand. But they are cheap, so we toss the broken ones and pull a replacement out of the laundry room cupboard. Agree it is easy to visually overload your rods with clothing using these. No worries about the weight of all the extra stuff though, our "rods" are square and extremely sturdy.

Don't care for heavy wooden hangers, and hate both plastic and wire. I have a few nice padded hangers for special occasion clothing and would ideally like to replace all hangers with those, but there are no bottom crosspieces on which to hang trousers or clips for skirts or shorts.

Another very first world problem!

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I have changed all my hangers over to the HSN Joy Manganous hangers. I can fit so much more in my closets when I use them. I did purchase some from BBB and they were crap, like others they either snapped or the hook came off. It's worth the money to buy the JM ones, EBay sometimes has some goood deals on large lots of them

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I have read that they can stain clothing that is hanging on them for years. As, sadly, my weight can fluctuate, I tend to hold onto clothes for decades. I rarely throw out/donate things, particularity pants.I will cut them off and make garden shorts first...shirts become rags...

Anyway, I did use them for awhile and found a discolored line where they touched the pants so gave up on them years ago. I only use plastic now.
    If you regularly wear all clothes, I assume there would never be an issue.

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

Checked ebay. Most prices were higher than hsn's sale, which I believe happens 1 - 2 times a month. Plus there is a very limited selection of colors.

Mary, I would love to have your closet, but I don't and I need the space, so Joy M. you are my heroine. Bumblebeez, I also have fluctuating weight, but I am finally donating some of those clothes that have been in my storage "forever". Size 2 (4, 6, or 8 if I am truthful) is nowhere in my future!!!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

those who use the JM hangers -

which is better for shirts / lite jackets - the 'shirt' hangers or the 'suit' (with cross bar) hangers? I'd think the 'shirt' ones should be fine but then maybe those with the 'cross bar' would be sturdier?

I hang mostly flannel shirts, some cardigans and a few light wght jackets. (live in AZ). I often use the flannel shirts as a jacket/sweater over tshirts in the fall. A t shirt is fine during the day but come evening you need something more. that's when I grab a flannel shirt to slip on to walk the dog.

I do have a few good things (dress/2 piece outfits) that I hang in a back closet. those'd be my funeral type clothes (lol!) if I ever need to go to one again.

I think I might get a small pk of Joy's hangers and give 'em a try.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

how funny--I would never have guessed there are people who don't like them. I HATE having my clothes fall off other kinds of hangers, so I really do love these. Haven't had any problems with breaking or staining.

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

desertsteph, you know what they say about death and taxes, so I would keep those funeral suits!

I find the regular shirt ones to be just fine for shirts of all kinds and weights. I am still not so sure about hanging jackets, but as I mentioned, New England jackets are heavier than what you are hanging. I don't dislike the pants clips, which must be used with the cross bar hangars. My only complaint is that they make my pants hang down lower than those other "can I take the hangar" ones from Walmart LOL, but I think I am going to just raise my pant rod about four inches (I have one of those Home Depot closet systems). I keep checking for sales because I do need more.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"desertsteph, you know what they say about death and taxes, so I would keep those funeral suits! "

I know! that is why I keep of few of my 'old' things - tho they are banished to a back bdroom. I'd love to just get rid of them but then I'd be in a pickle if I needed them. keeping them is easier than even the thought of going shopping for decent 'public' wear. I live in sweats and shorts - very tacky for a funeral (or even a wedding!). I've also kept a pr or 2 of 'good' dress shoes in case needed. IRL I always wear birks slip ons.

thx for the info on weight of shirts etc. I don't have any suit jackets to worry about - just mostly my casual stuff. My stuff is mostly light weight. The flannel shirts being probably the heaviest of my normal wear. For the few heavier jackets I have I can continue to use the 'ol thick plastic hangers. They live in that back closet also - only needed a few times a yr - maybe.

I don't watch HSN much so I'll try to 'check in' on it thru out the day/evening until I see them on sale.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I got the ones from HSN and love them and when I needed more I bought some at BB&B and they pop off very easily, just from dropping (very cheaply made) and so did the ones my DIL got at TJMaxx. I have not had a problem with the ones I got at HSN so I went back to them to buy more so that all my closets would have them. Yes, it's difficult occasionally to remove the clothes but that is the beauty of them not falling off the hangers and they do allow for more clothes to be hung in a closer space and you can get all the same color when you reorder as you did originally. I don't have stock in them and have very few items from there (a scarf and a bracelet, otherwise) but these hangers are top of the line for me.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I bought two boxes from Costco and maybe a couple from BBB. Both have held up for me and I can't tell the difference in them. The ones from BBB were more expensive. I do find it a bit annoying that you have to be more careful taking things off the hanger but I think it just takes awhile to get used to. I'm happy with them but it didn't change my life or anything, lol. I really dislike the wire hangers and the plastic can sometimes snag if they have rough edges on them. I haven't so far had any issue with the black fading onto clothes but do admit I worry about that. I like to hang damp clothes on hangers out of the washer and I think it says not to do that but I do anyway : / So far so good, we'll see in the long run. I bought the cream colored ones for that reason but I haven't seen them lately so mostly have the black.

P.S. I noticed that you can buy the Joy Mangano hangers at Target and Amazon.

This post was edited by gr8day on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 6:30

• sunfeather
    5 years ago

I'm getting rid of all of mine. They shed and they break. I've had a couple break and send pieces flying - thankfully missed my eyes!