Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would Wythe Blue look horrible in this room?

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 16:41

I have a good size den/office. It is about 18 by 20 feet.
But has only one small West facing window about 48 by 48 inches.
Here is the problem I have had dry sage on the walls in this room for about 10 years and even though I love this color by itself I have never liked it in this room because no matter how I decorate , the overall feeling is depressing. It just seems to suck the life out of me.
Now I have included photos of my carpet and love seats. The love seats are a bit more burgundy looking than they show and the carpet seems true to life. I think the dry sage goes well with these things now but I really would like to change this color. With all the talk on here about wythe blue I would like to use it but my inner voice is saying it does not go. What do you people think , also would a creamier color ivory be a better choice considering I want some lightness. Any suggestions are welcome.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dry Sage
Photobucket

Wythe Blue
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would Wythe Blue look horrible in this room?

I think a paler version of that kind of color would look lovely.

look at Woodlawn Blue, and Palladian Blue, which is are similar and still rich, but lighter.

o

I think so. From looking at the pictures I can see you have white trim. I think W.B is perfect when a room has white for trim.

I've seen a living room with W.B., dark leather sofa and little natural light. While on the darkish side, it was gorgeous! Especially adding lamps for ambience.

o

I think it will look wonderful, my niece has it with burgandy and it's great.

o

If it helps, I used palladian blue in my exercise room.

o

Bronwynsmon: Thanks for the suggestions. I just looked them up and think that you might be right with the Woodlawn Blue suggestion. Do you think that would be better than a creamy ivory.

Oakleyok & Yayagal : Thanks for your imput also.

Annie D: Wow, what a beautiful exercise room. That would inspire me to get moving.

So is everyone saying that I could keep with this family of pale green/blues or would anyone think the other idea of creamy ivory better.

I know I sound so undecided but I have never done rooms in pale colors before. I am always afraid of it looking like a childs room.

o

You might want to go to houzz.com and search on brown leather to find rooms that have brown leather furniture and see what colors are on the wall. For example,

or

o

Neither Palladian nor Woodlawn Blue will look like child's room - the complexity of the colors, and the slight leaning toward green, save them from that.

So do it!
What's the worst that can happen, after all...you don't like it, and you have to repaint? Horrors!

Those blues are both lovely behind wood furniture of practically any tone, and they make nice things hung on the wall, particularly in dull gold leaf or gold-and-silver leaf frames, or thin black frames, look fabulous.

o

OK Bronwynsmom, I think I will give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here