Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamashay

Help with window treatments

bamashay
11 years ago

I have lurked on this site for years and have enjoyed all the information I've gleaned from the experts here. So, today I decided to join the forum and see if I could get some of that expert advice for choosing window treatments in my bedroom and living room. We have just completed a semi-huge remodel with installation of natural hickory hardwoods and painting in most of the house. I'm leaning toward roman shades or cellular shades but can't decide on a color. I have replacement windows so the window boxes aren't very deep (1 inch) so my choices are pretty much limited to outside mounted blinds (or are they?). Any suggestions will be appreciated!

BTW, the wall color in the bedroom is BM Decatur Buff and the living room is SW Porpoise. Thanks so much for looking!

I'm finding that I'm only able to post one pic at a time so I will post bedroom pic in another post.

Comments (5)

• bamashay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. PIcture didn't post for some reason. I'm still figuring this out!

• bamashay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is the living room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm going to sound like a broken record, because I recommend this idea so often... but for your bedroom, I think the ideal solution would be a pair of curtain panels, hung at the ceiling and out to the sides of your windows so that the inside edge just covers the trim, with a pair of bamboo blinds in the tones of your gorgeous floor hung behind them, also from the ceiling, so that when they are raised, they cover the trim only, and don't reduce your light.

I'd rethink the positioning of that piece of furniture, so that the symmetry of that wall is maintained. Can you put it somewhere else in the room? Or perhaps you can position both the things we see in the photo along the wall opposite your bed, with a full-length mirror between them, centering the whole arrangement on that wall.

Then I'd put a soft comfortable chair angled across the corner, with a floor lamp to solve the dark corner there, and hang a pair of vertical things, or a set of four, two and two, one over the other, out to the sides of the curtain panels.

It would soften the room a little, and make the most of the pretty windows, so that the whole wall is a composition.

For your living room, how about a soft Roman shade at each window, hung at the ceiling, so that there as well, when they are raised, you don't lose light.

The principle to remember is that 80% of the natural light in your rooms comes from the top 20% of your windows.

• bamashay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, that is the only place for the chest in the room. The piece of furniture across from the bed is a chifforobe and the chest won't fit on the same wall.

The picture angle is not the best but I was trying to show what else was going on in the room. It really does look better than the picture!

So will roman shades alone, hung at the ceiling, look okay without panels? If so, would you still recommend bamboo or another color?

I could also move the chest down the wall a little to accomodate panels but would it be too crowded?

Also, what color do you recommend for the living room windows?

I know this is a lot of questions and I so appreciate your time in helping me. I'm so decorating challenged and just have such a hard time making a decision because wrong decisions are costly!

• bobtheblindguy
    11 years ago

One inch depth is still enough room for an inside mount. In your bedroom I would only do a cellular shade as a IM because when you draw it up it will almost dissapear and you won't lose sunlight. But if you go with a roman or woven wood I would suggest a outside mount and mount 6-7 inches above the frame so when you draw them up they will expose all your window for more light. In the living I would consider inside mount stained wood blinds. I could control the light and privacy. Don't think you have to mount above the windows in LR since they most likly wouldn't be drawn up as often as they will be tilted open and close.