Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Need suggestions for backspash

We've been in our "new" home almost four years now and I'm finally getting around to thinking about the kitchen back-splash and need suggestions. (Long story short, the reason we're just now getting around to backs-plash is that we wound up having to fire our builder and complete the home ourselves. Builder managed to steal so much money from us that we had to postpone some of the finishing touches.)

Anyway, I had a tile picked out four years ago that came very very very close to being a perfect match my main paint color but apparently it is no longer being made. And now I'm having a hard time finding anything that seems to go with the other elements in my kitchen.

Kitchen courtertops are Silestone: color Amarillo Palmira. Cabinets are clear-coated natural mahogany. Walls are painted with SW Frangipane (in real life, a soft warm peachy color although the pics below don't do it justice). The back side of the pony wall between kitchen and breakfast nook is SW Spicy Hue (which in real life varies between looking a deep rusty color and a very slightly orangy maroon depending on the light.) Floors are a beige tile that picks up the peachy tones of the frangipane wall. Appliances are black and I have ORB plumbing, lighting, and cabinet knobs. Here are a couple of pics of the kitchen to give the overall impression.

And, this is a closeup of the silestone countertop. Since the backsplash will be right up against this, the two simply cannot clash!

Between the natural grain patterns and color variations of my cabinets and the silestone, plus my paint, stained glass pendants, etc. I think I already have enough "busyness" going on here. So I'm thinking I need to go with something pretty simple for the backsplash tile...probably a solid color. Do y'all agree or disagree? Anyway, everything I can find seems to be either way too pink or way too yellow or has an underlying cool tone that clashes badly with the very warm tones of my kitchen.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions for backsplash tile would be most appreciated. (I want to at least tile the area directly behind the stove and the 6 inches or so above the countertop along the ponywall. The spot directly behind the sink is starting to look aweful! Not as sure about tiling all the way around. I really really like the frangipane paint and how it lightens up the kitchen. Would hate to completely cover it.

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love the orange of the island.

I'd go for something like pictured below for the backsplash and repaint the walls a navy blue or a deep brown.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 16:41

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Look at Daltile Natural Hues in "Spice" or "Birch" and Daltile Festiva in "Sienna".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If it helps at all, I went with caesarstone choc truffle which is fairly patterned. I went with a marble tile backsplash with metal accents...I also went with a still life behind the cooktop.

In the bar area, I made my own "tile" by sawing corks in half and applying them to the wall. You can see the pattern of the counter top better here.

• User
    9 years ago

I would go for something lighter, a cream or light beige that goes well with the countertop, and I might throw in random tiles in a brown or taupe that have flora or fauna as a bas relief design, like craftsman style tiles.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Pretty tones. How much area are you thinking of covering, e.g., just behind stove, up to ceiling, whole wall, etc.? Do you want to stay with a monochromatic/analogous color scheme, or do you want an accent color or contrast?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would consider just the travertine marble/stone backsplash. The material comes in a variety of sizes and hues and will work well with your kitchen finishes.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

This is Daltile Natural Hues Spice and Daltile Festiva Sienna, which look identical on my computer, with your granite:

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

How about one of "pearl" tiles from glasstilestore? I can't upload the pic right now but here is a link:

http://tilebar.com/serene-white-square-pearls-glass-pattern-tile.html

I think something a bit reflective will add some dimension without adding complexity.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ooooh, I really like KS_Chicago's tiles. The South Seas version, I think, would be perfect.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

What had you picked out before? I don't think you'll have much leeway in color choices, but it does read very beige and brown. I would pick a great arts and craft field tile that is a solid color but with some depth and variation. You could use pattern for interest, but otherwise I'd use 4 x 4" tiles. They are expensive, but you have very little area to tile. Sonoma Tilemakers and Fireclay are two with a a great selection of color. Sonoma has beautiful matte tiles.

I'll post a few ideas from Motawi Tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: sources for arts and craft tiles

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Pattern, which I think would be great. You can't wimp out with that hood. The tile has to stand up to it! I wouldn't use motif tile though.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Tile with texture. Love how this gives the two shapes in one tile.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Some version of honey onyx?

Here is a link that might be useful: [A few versions found here[(https://www.houzz.com/products/honey-polished-pinwheel-pattern-mesh-mounted-onyx-tile-black-dot-inserts-prvw-vr~8108056)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions. Am heading out to the various tile stores tomorrow morning to pick get as many samples as I can. Still not sure whether to go with a very simple solid color 4" or 6" tiles or incorporate more pattern. My original plan had been 4" bathroom tiles that basically matched the frangipane paint color for the area under the bar and then a 2" tile border of the same tiles around some sort of picture for behind the stove (similar to AnnieD's but horizontal b/c I don't have as much space between my stove and hood). Will let you know what I settle on.