Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Design Inspiration & Materials for His & Her Bath

sweeby
9 years ago

Hubby and I will be renovating our master suite and building separate His & Her bathrooms per the following floor plan.

I'm wanting the two bathrooms to look like they belong together, even though I want His to have a very masculine vibe, and hers to have a more feminine vibe. I'm thinking I'd like to use many of the same primary materials, or perhaps something like the same tile but in a different color.

Our house is kind of a 'Portland' look -- sort of Craftsman / Mountain / Asian / Rustic than can tilt either modern or old-fashioned. We both like natural materials and an 'earthy' feel.

What I'm looking for is design inspiration and perhaps a palette. Any great ideas?

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

What is remaining or given in the MBR or the house? What have you fallen in love with searching Houzz or Pinterest?

BTW I have a teak bench in my shower and love it!

Do i recall resale is a focus?

I love herringbone for Men's bathroom. My DH and I both have grey and white baths but quite different otherwise. I do think they should clearly have been done at the same time. You could do the same field tile in both but different accents.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mtnrdredux - I'm also a huge herringbone fan, and Hubby's a good enough tile man to lay it out perfectly. I was also thinking gray, in a medium taupey-dove color.

What have I fallen in love with this go 'round? Honestly, nothing is really floating my boat to the point where it's inspiring a vision. The closest I've come is a vision of brick paver floors in a herringbone pattern and craftsman style wooden block paneling on the walls. Then either the vanity or walls would be painted gray, the other stained. But my hesitation is that the baths are on the second floor, which I'm thinking would make the bricks seem less natural...

My earlier design idea had tile flooring inspired by this garden path - so grey large squares with flat pebble borders, Asian-inspired vanities (Kohler Westmore), vinyl grasscloth on the walls.

And yes, resale - but not to the point that I go bland. NEVER go bland ;-)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

- dup

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sweeby on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 10:08

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got a vision!

I saw some lovely colored subway tiles at our local tile store -- lots of great trims, beautiful colors in the taupe to grey range. Starting from there, add wood paneling to the walls (painted or stained?) a mosaic stone floor, and vanities to complement the walls. Soapstone vanity tops with high backsplashes and wall-mounted faucets.

Suggestions?

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Usually 'no comment' is GardenWeb code for "I don't like it, but don't want to be the first to say so..." Is that the case here? Too dark?

• selcier
    9 years ago

I like the taupe tile. And I like the stained paneling. Together though I don't think it goes. The tile is too cool toned. You had mentioned painted paneling: that would go with the tile. But it certainly wouldn't be as interesting - and you said you didn't do bland. The same thing with the floors. The white and black classic tile would look good with the stained or painted paneling but not with a taupe subway.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I really like the taupe subway tiles. And in the second row, the second photo, I was recently looking at a room with similar strips like that, and I like it.

The floor tiles look kind of too ordinary. Not wrong, but there isnt anything in your moodboard that is a driver or a star iykwim...

My problem is I need a jumping off point. I can't opine on a design without the context of the adjoining rooms and exterior.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If I was going through the effort and expense to have 2 baths instead of 1, I'd probably want hers to be really feminine and his to be really masculine with maybe a common color thread running through both so they tie together. I also prefer warm colors to cool colors in a bath in that I think they make you look better when you look in the mirror...no green that casts a sickly green glow on your skin...

So if it were my bath, I'd go with something relaxing and monochrome and feminine like this one.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers The Wiseman Group Interior Design, Inc

and for him, I'd keep it warm, but add more wood and/or metallics.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Milwaukee Kitchen & Bath Remodelers timothyj kitchen & bath, inc.

Here's an interesting bath where they kept the finishes the same but one side is decidedly more feminine than the other.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Riverside Architects & Building Designers Randall Architects

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback! --

So it seems that the taupe subway is pretty but problematic... Possibly good with painted paneling, but not much love on the painted paneling... Looks like I need to get some 'real live samples' and see how or if they play well with any medium-to-dark stained woods. Maybe the gray? (bottom row of subways, second from left.)

The flooring - Yeah, we'd need a bit more life. I'm liking the classic small tiles, but with a bit more color contrast I think, and maybe some borders.

Annie, your point about the cool tones is well taken. But I'm less worried about 'taupe against skin tones' because of the floor plan. (see top) The subways would be only in the showers, and the showers would not be visible in the vanity mirrors. I'll have to see how the real tile colors play out in our house lighting, which can be a bit off... All the trees tend to throw colors toward the green.

That last inspiration picture is lovely! Hmmm...

Edit: On second thought, the 'cool' tone of the taupe is exactly what the problem is! I really want these rooms to feel 'cozy' and warm tones is exactly what I need to do to make that happen. Warm tones it is then --

This post was edited by sweeby on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 10:23

• Mertha Maddox
    8 years ago

It has been a year since there was a post on this subject. We are looking to convert a garage to a Master bedroom about 520 square feet. Wanted to know did you finish the project with the his and her bathrooms. I am most interested. Would love to have separate spaces to get ready and especially separate toilet areas. Please share any final floor plans you may have made or any photos if you can.