Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Bed in front of windows/curtains?

sunfeather
9 years ago

Would this work? The windows will have floor to ceiling linen curtains similar in color to the trim with oil rubbed bronze rods. The bed will be a king ORB iron.

Having the bed on this wall opens up so much space in the room.

Not sure if the bench will stay there. Sorry the bed isn't quite centered.

Comments (49)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, no.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

imo Yes--not with shutters, but with curtains. Maybe you need curtains/drape behind the headboard, then one panel per window, left and right. And the bed not flush against the wall.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

With shutters, no. With curtains yes. With an upholstered headboard that had fabric that went with the curtains, yes +.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would not, but I don't like sleeping with my head at a window.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Function first!

I see this all the time in catalogs, and I think it looks strange, but I think it would look okay in your room. Agree that curtains would help. Personally, I love laying my head down by a window that lets in a breeze.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 17:10

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The problem isn't with the curtains or the shutters. The problem is that the bed frame and even the bed go so far beyond the window trim.

Here is a thread on GW that addressed this very issue and has some good photos as examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Headboard size against windows thread.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Why not. If the room is square, does it matter which wall?

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would say no because the windows go down so low, and if you want night stands, they will cover much of the windows and make the bottom of the windows very awkward to clean. I have my bed between two windows, but it does not overlap the window frames, and the bottom of the windows is 32" from the floor, so that it is okay to put night stands in front of them.

Even if you remove the shutters, the windows will still be way too low.

Lars

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

It doesn't bother me at all. However, I think it will look better if the headboard is solid. If you use an iron bed, perhaps you could have a fabric covered piece of a shape to fit within the framework of the headboard made so the windows aren't visible through the frame of the headboard.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, good grief, why does this have to be so dang difficult. The opposite wall is the better choice but it really leaves me without good walls for furniture placement. With the curtains, there will be less wall space between the windows.

Window wall...

Opposite wall

A very bad drawing of the room layout...

Type of bed...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you can put a bed in front of curtains, surely you can put a small dresser in that space. It'll work better, though, since it wouldn't obstruct the windows.

If you put the bed on the obvious wall, utilize the corners. You can get a corner armoire, for example.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Corner dresser

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, my stars! I've never seen a corner dresser :-)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Another option is to use dressers for night tables on either side of the bed if you put it on the non-window wall.
    {{!gwi}}

• justretired
    9 years ago

Agree with Tib. Pretty bed and will be a nice room. Currently obsessed with colors, can you tell me what color you have painted your walls?

Love that corner dresser!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, I love your chandy/pendant light!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hmmm, the third pic noscoccermom put up makes me think it can be done. The curtains in the center make a huge difference, hiding the wall section.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's really a fault of architects and designers (and to some extent the consumers) who design bedrooms or want bedrooms with window placements that may leave One wall out of four, or maybe No wall a good place for bed and furniture placement in bedrooms. The sill heights are too low and when there is a single window on a wall it is often centered, and two windows on a wall are often too close together to allow the placement of a full bed + nightstands fully between the windows, let alone a queen sized bed-- which is more common-- between the windows.

With a sill height around 32" you can fit furniture under the window, but now, even upstairs sill heights are 18"-24" and it doesn't really allow that much more light or view in unless you crawl around on your hands and knees, it's just an "idea" that someone had. So in many bedrooms in new construction you are stuck putting something in front of the windows. In each of the three bedrooms in my sisters new house there is One wall you can place beds on and even then the end of the bed still laps over the window somewhat, unless it's a twin in the middle of the only blank wall. In the Master a queen does not fit between the two windows, and any nightstand is in front of and taller than the window sill.

The problem with corner storage is that the area toward the corners is almost useless. You can only utilize the middle fully.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Just make the curtains continuous behind the bed, keep gliders under the bed so it can be easily moved, and keep the bed about a foot away from the wall.

If you are in a cooler climate, you will be glad you did this in the wintertime, as it will help protect you from the cold outer wall.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of the effort you;ve put into posting - it is very much appreciated. Yes, great pics from nosoccer...It helps so much to see pictures.

Paint is Softer Tan by SW.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I say go with what works best for you.....you have to live with it on a daily basis and how many people see the bedroom anyway?........and even if they do they're not going gasp in horror at the bed in front of the windows. Agree drapes should be continuous behind bed....no wall showing, and panels on each side of the windows.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's another example where the bed is in front of the door leaving enough room for a walkway behind, using the tall headboard as the divider.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Jamie Herzlinger

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Actually...I take a bit back. In Nosoccermom's 2nd picture with the white 4 poster and the sunburst mirror above, because of the panels on the windows next to the bed, they disguise the fact that the bed may overlap in front of the windows. I think that looks nice as well as panels all the way across.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I think it will look fine.

We have more wall space, but do have the bed in front of the window curtains.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

i like this look. It might work

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• justretired
    9 years ago

Wondering, how would you open the windows if you placed the bed in between them and then put nightstands on either side? Or maybe you do not live in a climate where that is of importanceâ¦..

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I don't really think you can disguise it with curtains' because your windows are narrow and your curtains would have to almost totally cover the window opening if you wanted to have the frame of the bed stay within the curtained area....I agree with the poster that said a solid headboard would look better when overlapping windows ( like the third pic nosoccermom posted). That said, it really doesn't bother me if the bed overlaps, if that works best for the rest of the room.

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

You can't use the other wall even if you want to...air return! Your HVAC folks will tell you it will never ever work..and the noise besides from the return will drive you crazy as it tries to suck up behind the furniture. So you have to use the window wall. c

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I have a single window centered behind my bed. I always wish I had windows to the side of our bed instead.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Do you use these windows? We live in SC and bedroom windows are rarely used unless I'm cleaning them or airing it out occasionally. If I lived somewhere with a view or a cool breeze I'd want them unobstructed. Our current MB bed is just under the windows. All the curtains is a light stealer but that's just fine with my husband who gets too little sleep anyway. Make sure you can compensate for this if you need the light.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I think it would look fine in front of the windows! I see it done all the time in magazines and on Houzz. I do agree about not using the shutters and I like the idea of an iron bed there!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

You have been offered a lot of solutions here that will get you where you wanted to be. My question, why all the angst? You want movement room in you BEDROOM. No one will see it beyond your family. Even if it isn't "perfect" it is not like we are talking about a room half the world will be trouping through. It come down to does it bother YOU that the bed frame will over lap the window trim? Does it bother YOU that the windows will be jammed up with a bed in-front of them?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

TR, the noise besides from the return will drive you crazy...

Actually the returns are silent... the blowers are on the supply ducts and the returns are just vents that allow the air back to the unit. So long as air can get there they will work, so they can be behind a headboard or an end table, no problem. Just shouldn't be where they might be covered with fabric that would obstruct the vents.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think it looks lovely. If that is the best placement for the bed, then go for it. I have seen beds centered between to windows a million times in mags and websites. I think the curtains and then maybe a piece of art or roundish mirror would look great above the bed. Do what makes you happy and makes you comfortable in your bedroom.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I have a double bed in front of a single window. The draperies look fine behind it. I have thought about getting a curved drapery rod to give it a canopy look. I have another window that I can open.
    In your case, if you are going to put the bed in front of the windows, I would carry the drapery panels behind the bed, so the look isn't as chopped up.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I can see either sheers or drapes. Just don't skimp on the fabric.

Or maybe even a four poster bed

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Don't like blocking windows w/ furniture on inside or w/ shrubbery on outside. I'd use blank wall for bed and then if windows must be blocked w/ furniture, then do so. Chairs and tables less bulky than a bed.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I love the look of beds in front/between windows. In your room, the symmetry of the windows flanking the bed would be pleasing. I especially like Nosoccermom's second photo in her first post above (which I've copied here). I would not bring the drapery across the wall... in the photo, the sunburst provides a grounding element. You could achieve the same with an appropriate piece of art.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, you could have the curtain just overlap a bit on the bed side and have it all the way to the outside of the window on the other side.

See for images at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: bed between windows with overlap

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the pictures and helpful comments. When I get the curtains installed and have the bed, I'll give it a try to see how it looks.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree. I always need to see it in real life. The only question would be whether you need to install curtain rods all along the wall or just over the windows. Or are you going to hold the curtains up or temporarily attach them?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I can't give you any advice, but can you tell me why the wall looks rippled behind the bed in the first photo?

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Curtains are going to be on separate rods.

Linelle - the rippled look is caused by the light fixture.

• Jules
    9 years ago

I think the bed in front of the windows will look fantastic. Love the photo nosoccermom and peony posted.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

"Wondering, how would you open the windows if you placed the bed in between them and then put nightstands on either side? Or maybe you do not live in a climate where that is of importanceâ¦.."

Not sure if this question was directed at one of us, or just in general. If we needed to open our windows, we could easily get to the windows by moving the lamps. However, the other side of the room has French doors that we can open when fresh air is wanted. We can also open the double hung windows, easily. ;)

• mdln
    9 years ago

Think bed in front of windows is fine.

@ annie - thank you for floating bed pic; love it, am going to try it.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

In my opinion, yes, as long as you have a headboard. I wouldn't push the bed directly against the wall (squishing the curtains), but maybe 4" away from the wall at least. I actually think it will look nice with the bed you've selected.