Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

Year and pattern of this "1847 Rogers Bros" silverware?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

I have recently acquired a set of "1847 Rogers Bros" silver plated flatware, though perhaps I should say "formerly" silver-plated since most of the silver has worn off. I would like to know what year it was actually produced. I am aware that just because 1847 is in the stamp does not mean that it was made in 1847. Many companies from centuries/decades past continue to stamp their products with the founding year of the company. On the other hand, I have also found numerous sites saying that in 1898 Rogers Bros joined the "International Silver" consortium and afterwards began stamping their products "1847 Rogers Bros IS" to reflect that affiliation.

Since mine lacks the "IS" that would seem to mean that it pre-dates 1847. (Again, I can cite sources to attest to this). Thus, one would THINK it would be easy to find a matching pattern and a subsequent date that this was produced, since I only have a window of 51 years to explore, right?

Wrong.

I have looked through hundreds of patterns and on every "1847 Rogers Bros" search that I can, and have come up empty on pattern and date -- which often go together, as many sites will list the pattern and the year it was produced.

I would be thrilled to know the pattern and the year my silverware was produced. HELP!

Comments (20)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close-up of the stamp. At the risk whining too much, I really have searched through more than a hundred different patterns and corresponding marks and have yet to find a precise match. I have also posted this info in the Garden Web Antiques and Collectibles forum. People have been helpful, but no precise match yet.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Looks like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rogers Bros. Plain

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very close, my friend, but not 100 percent there. The bottom of mine is less rounded, and when I found a similar item to your link, there was also a photo of the stamp on the back, which was different from mine -- a circle with a pattern of some sort in the middle, following Bros.

Not to seem ungrateful. Thank you for trying. I will keep checking this thread.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Have you called the woman in the link, Liz? The call seems to be free.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

Try sending your photograph to Replacements, Ltd. They have a huge collection of 1847 Rogers silver plate.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright then! I have just submitted requests (with photos) to Liz and to Replacements Ltd. After going over Liz's site, I found another close, though not perfect, match. Including a photo of that here. The major difference is that hers are embossed, whereas mine are not and the silver plating is mostly worn off mine. The ends of Liz's forks are only slightly more rounded than mine, but one has to look EXTREMELY close to see the difference in shape. Structurally though, hers are very close to mine. Interestingly, her beautifully embossed pieces date to 1882. Mine would seem to be the rough draft to those and the year makes sense. Perhaps mine would have looked still more like hers immediately after completion.

This post was edited by BradleyD on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 22:13

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried. But "hotel silver" is such a broad category (with so many different companies involved), it was a bit like searching for a 1937 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost by starting with the search phrase "old car."

Interesting though. Thanks for teaching me something. I was not aware that this genre existed.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got a response back from Liz at lizjewel.com. Good news/bad news time. Good news first: I would give Liz a perfect 5 stars out of 5 if I could rate her online. She was prompt, detailed and gentle with the bad news. Bad news is that my silverware is a much copied type that might have been done by anyone. Only its wear would give any indication of age, and that is nearly impossible to determine as it might have been used a lot in a short period of time, thus increasing its worn look. She delivered the news very gently. Here are her words:
    --------------------------
    "ROGERS can be quite complicated because not only were there many companies named Rogers, there were also many Rogers folks who were not necessarily related nor even named "Rogers" but piggy-backed their products on the popularity of the brand name since the early days. They still do it, in China. The Chinese use the name F.B. Rogers and have massive production in hollowware under that name. However, there was a F.B. Rogers manufacture in the U.S. at one time in the 19th century so the name has been purloined. Further, the so called plain patterns were ubiquitous. They were the most reasonably priced styles so production of these was determined by keeping cost as low as possible. A small design change as from a rounded handle to a straight cut ditto would often mean a few pennies saved in production, etc.
    Bradley, these styles did not have names. They may have had line and style/model NUMBERS but even they were internal and not mentioned except may be on the bills (invoices) presented to the retail stores that had ordered them. I called my styles Plain because that's what they are. I don't believe there ever was a style name by the Rogers manufacture for this model or its variations. But other silver sellers copied it and now it has a name: Plain. "
    --------------------------------
    Oh well. My pieces still have that "been around the block" look that I like.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She also added in a subsequent message that they do have the look of something around the 1920s, which I have heard from some local dealers too.

• rgps
    9 years ago

They could be from the teens also. We have forks almost identical to yours and they were my grandmothers who got married in 1911 and most likely were from then. I don't know what happened to the knives but I remember them. Funny though I don't remember there being any spoons. Probably lost in the sandbox making mud pies. At least that's what my kids thought my spoons were for.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting. This set (12 forks and 12 knives, which I got for $42) did not come with any spoons either. Even if the pattern is not valuable, I like them for being from a different time, and I now use them exclusively: same fork and same knife, and I keep re-washing.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Don't be disappointed; sometimes a bit of mystery adds to the charm. I'd love to see them paired with some rustic dinner plates.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/70/d4/09/70d409fbea837fcf84203aa4cb9a3483.jpg

• kswl2
    9 years ago

They are a lovely plain style that will go with just about anything. I like them very much! If you want to go to the trouble you can have them replated for a reasonable sum.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like rustic pates too. A bit of boasting. Here is my one-man dining set, with items moved closer together to get them all in one frame. All were culled in the past few months from my thrift-shop antique hunting adventures. The most expensive of them all was the silverware at $42 for 12 forks and knives.
    -- The plate is 13 inches across and is made of copper with silver plating peeling off. Judging by the concentric ridges, it looks like it was hand-turned. There are engravings around the lip. I am told it is probably from the arts and crafts era, 1875 to 1920s.
    -- The Rogers Bros. silverware rests atop a wooden box with metal accents. There is a mirror inside the lid, so maybe it was a make-up kit? Unsure of age. But I figured with the mini-treasure chest look I could justify it as a silverware holder.
    -- The pitcher/tankard holds 3 cups and is VERY heavy solid cast brass. Handle is welded on, not screwed or riveted. Unsure of a age but a local dealer told me it is probably at least 150 years old, maybe more.
    -- The trivet is also sold brass and from an estate (so the vendor tells me) of a family that had it for more than 100 years. I am told the pattern is still reproduced by Colonial Williamsburg.
    -- The tole is hand-painted metal. Unsure of age. But looks early to mid 20th century to me.

Any guesses on age of these items are welcome.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

What about that table? Can we see it?

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up of plate.

This post was edited by BradleyD on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 11:25

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since you asked...
    Got it on clearance for only $45. Liked the primitive look.

This post was edited by BradleyD on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 11:55

• HU-526365822
    2 years ago

I have the same forks, inside the dot it says ’Meriden R Co’

• Lori Klutts-Edmond
    2 years ago

I would love to have more information on this as well. I have 10 forks identical to yours.