Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Crazy to think this can be pulled off...

mommyto4boys
9 years ago

Here goes an attempt to keep this from getting too long & too confusing...thanks for bearing with me as I try to explain.

We moved out of our previous home 3 years ago. It was traditional, cherry stained floors. Fast forward to us building again....slow, process:( we actually moved into this current, "forever" home 1 1/2 years ago. We served as our own builder/GC. Along with now having 6 boys, DH has done all the work from drywall on. We moved in at that point & have been finishing it while living here. It has been stressful to say the least.

Our original plans were made for this home almost 4 years ago. Our custom cabinet maker started on our project well over 2 years ago. Now the problem being, current trends & such have changed my finished "look" I especially want in our family room. We have a much less open floor plan this time around and do love it. We are definitely going for a traditional, somewhat transitional feel. Definitely a casual, relaxed, light and bright eclectic look. I like mixing things up. I love my kitchen, even though it is very dated as to what is "in." I have raised panel cabinets, an overlay and (gasp) glazed finishes on both cream and cherry stained cabinets. I tend to just go with what I like and what makes us happy.

We originally wanted to basically reproduce our original family room (see pic) from our previous home. Fast forward to today and I just do not want that anymore. The problem is that the built ins have been ordered and made over a year ago. Actually, the doors for the builtins Mayor may not be finished.

Related to a water leak after we moved in, did I mention this has been daunting:). And also, myself falling in love with white, painted tongue and grove ceilings...I had DH apply this to our ceiling and change to white painted beams also. Our house gets a ton of light and I love and need that. DH really loves a stone fireplace. I don't want a rustic or too traditional look in this room. I will be replacing all furniture and would like to have more of a slipped cover look. (Potterybarnish). I love cream, but would probably have a camel or more caramel finish to the couches. Our new house has a lighter, heart pine, very knotty wood floor. A much more casual look & the family room does have the wood floor.

Is it even possible to make these stained built ins work in this room??? Then how would we finish the fireplace??? Almost every family room I see with stained builtins and a stone fireplace has big leather furniture and a more rustics feel. Some rustic mixed in is great, but just not what I want in this room. I feel sick over this. I can not cancel the built ins. I thought about biting the bullet and seeing if the cabinet maker would paint them now. I know not ideal over beautiful cherry wood that we used. Also, I love the stained cherry and we did the stairs and part of the kitchen in the same stain. Part of me feels that it would be more classic and stand the test of time to go with the stained built ins. I will have them most likely "forever." I hate to have them painted and ruin the good cherry wood and then regret it in 5 years when painted finishes are not the trend.

As I mentioned my kitchen has both painted and the cherry stained cabinets. I started adding my collection of white dishes into the stained cabinets that have glass doors. And I think it is looking very nice. Would it be possible to go that route with the built ins and make the room more like my inspiration. Sorry this is so long and confusing. I will try to more pics to help. I really appreciate the help and any direction offered.

Pic of previous home...

Comments (16)

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Notice how in the following pic they have the stained built ins and the white painted ceiling with beams and the stone fireplace. I'm thinking that this is what we could get closer too???

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a glimpse of part of the very unfinished kitchen...the counters are just temporary here, floor unfinished, etc.

This post was edited by mommyto4boys on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 18:07

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the stained cabinets... The color looks much darker in the original family room pic I shared. The light at time changes it quite a bit...

This post was edited by mommyto4boys on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 16:31

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a before and after pic from the blog "centsational girl." Not the greatest pic, but it does show her builtins after she took the plunge and painted. I'm showing this because I actually love her before pic too and love her decorating style. So, with that being said I wonder if this could be pulled off like in her before pic and does it work better because there is not the beefy, stone fireplace??? And yes, I love the after too. Just trying to find a way to love the stained finish. My first choice would be to have the stained finish work:)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I think your inspiration pic from 16:25 is beautiful, and just what you will have with your stained built-ins with the white ceiling and beams. Use the light upholstery you like and any of the stone fireplaces you've pictured. They all look good. Your cherry cabinets are beautiful!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I agree with junco above. Keep the stained built ins and just decorate everything else as you would like.
    I don't think one element defines the style. Those cabinets are beautiful and if you really cant make it work you can always paint them once they are installed.

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks junco, I appreciate your comments. We have been at this for so long it is so hard to keep form questioning things and changing things that have already been started. My gut instinct is telling me that we would (in the future) regret trying to have the built ins painted.

Tying it all together, if we keep the stained built ins, the med-light floors and the painted trim/ceiling....then I'm thinking that we should have a stone mantle & hearth??? And they seem to be so expensive, from what i have priced out this far:(

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with the other two. You paid for the cherry and I wouldn't paint it - not now anyhow. You can always change you mind later. I really like your inspiration pic from 16:25 as well. Very nice house! It will eventually all be done. Keep your chin up!

I like the stone in your inspiration pic.

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missy & Shee, thanks too for your thoughts. I'm feeling so much better & I'm happy to know DH will be happy too.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Step away from the paint brush.

• User
    9 years ago

The built ins will work better with unpainted beams. That keeps elements of wood throughout the space as a consistent feature. There is NOTHING worse than trying to strip paint from good quality wood. The trend away from painted and towards stained wood is already swiging back as a popular choice, and a lot of people will regret jumping on the paint bandwagon. So many pieces won 't be able to be salvaged, unfortunately. Don't be among those that has to buy stock in Citristrip to rescue the wood from under the paint.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful cabinets....I happen to love painted finishes, but not to the exclusion of quality wood finishes. Painting pine is one thing, but not cherry--

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I think the picture at 16:25 is a great look. I also like the beams painted white as the 16:25 beams are, compared to the dark beams in your original post. The dark beams draw my eye to the ceiling which is not what I would want. Also love the stone in 16:25 and in your last home. I think keeping the stone to the lighter colors, as in those two pics, keeps it from looking too rustic.

Sounds like it's been a long haul, but you'll get there! and all this with 6 boys--I can't even imagine!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Mommyto4boys,
    You made the following statement:
    "I tend to just go with what I like and what makes us happy."

But then you made the following statements:

"Now the problem being, current trends & such have changed my finished "look" I especially want in our family room."
    " I hate to have them painted and ruin the good cherry wood and then regret it in 5 years when painted finishes are not the trend."

So the question is, do you really do what you like? Or are you allowing yourself to be bossed around by current tends? Are you thinking about painting the built-ins because you REALLY like that look or because that is what everyone else is doing? If you really like the painted look, then you really won't care and it won't matter what the next trend is 5 years from now.

You have some thinking to do! :-)

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help.

I feel very confident in keeping the stained builtins. I definitely do what I like with decorating. With that being said I will completely agree that trends can have an influence as to where I get some ideas. As well, I believe my style keeps evolving and making updates will always be a factor too.

I have many choices in our new home that do not follow the trends in new homes today and I'm sure many would raise an eyebrow as to why?! I prefer and chose ORB door handles and some bath fixtures as well as black in the house we built 7 years ago as well as this new one. I didn't jump on the all white kitchen, the gray trend, etc etc. I stuck with my warm yellows and golds with pops of red, because I like it:)

However, i have always had the desire & need for lots of natural light. And I really yearn for more casual spaces in this home. With that being said I definitely have been drawn to the "trend" of lighter, brighter sunny rooms that seem to be "trendy" currently. Our other home wasn't dark, dark as we had good lighting. However, we had a darker red dining room and the family room was one of the darker colors on the SW strip,with blonde and ivorie. So, be it trendy or just want I'm drawn to now. I really like rooms like the inspiration picture I shared. And it just seems they often "come with" painted, white finishes.

I truly love rich, stained wood and also like painted finish. That being why we have had both in our last 2 homes. Both kitchens have had both finishes too. I'm thrilled that others agree I can have the built ins stained and also pull off the lighter, brighter look I am after. I also feel I will love them forever and would probably regret if I had them painted. In 10 years I may want a different look just to update, have a change or follow a trend. Hopefully, I will be able to pull that off if I desire by changing out wall color and room decor.