Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

How do you feel about microfiber upholstery fabric?

wish2okc
9 years ago

I'm getting ready to reupholster a couple of chairs in my living room. Brought home a snippet of what appeared to be very, very fine wale corduroy but found out today that it's microfiber. I really like the color and brought home a larger sample to live with a few days. Now I'm wondering about it....afraid it may be a touch shiny. I want something attractive and classic that will last. Would a natural fiber be better? Or are all upholstery fabrics some kind of blend? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I've never been fond of it. It always seemed like an ultra cheap faux suede. That being said, I've never had anything upholstered in it, so I have no idea how it performs.

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, I know what you mean but this doesn't look like suede at all, more like corduroy. Thanks for your opinions. Thats what I'm wanting. More please!

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Is it 100% polyester? I've read that 100% polyester fabric is hot.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I have made hundreds of slipcovers with microfiber. It is a hard wearing fabric and most times pleasant to the touch and seats well.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I have never seen microfiber in a wale and certainly not shiny. Are you sure of what you have? I think, like anything else, there are varying shades of quality. I see microfiber furniture in stores all the time, but I'd never buy it. It's a magnet for dust, cat and dog hair.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Now that I think of it, I did use microfiber fabrics when sewing a Halloween costume. My six-year old was a Land Shark (ala 1974 SNL). The texture was perfect, and the fabric was easy to work with and very durable. That costume was worn several different years by various kids trick-or-treating and survived it all :)

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Repeating myself, but bear with me. When I ordered my couch, I hesitated about the microfiber. The salesperson said that it's "bulletproof".

Of course, a week after the couch arrived, my husband sat on it with a leaky ballpoint pen in his back pocket.

The stain dissolved like a dream.

Also, I think the aesthetic impact of microfiber depends a LOT on the color. Just my opinion, but I think that natural earthtone colors -- cocoa and coffee browns -- look better in microfiber than blues, greens and reds,

Maybe it's because microfiber has a texture that's sort of suede-ish, and true suede is brown.

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomatofreak, I haven't seen a label for the fabric. The owner told me it's microfiber. It isn't shiny exactly. There's just a slight sheen.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

Yes, I have couches with a wide wale corduroy looking microfiber. These are the best couches ever. First, mine were pretty cheap, but that has turned out to be a blessing. They don't have lining on the filling on the inside. Just a zipper. My dog sometimes attacks them and I end up with the image below. But, the great thing is the fabric never tears! The zipper just opens so I can stuff it all back in and close it up!

My dog doesn't shed but my yellow cats do. The hair does show. Mine is not shiny at all though. If I get something on it I can just scrub it clean. It's worked well for me!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I used microfiber to reupholster my CL chair and it is durable, soft, attractive and stands up to kitty hair. My GF is not a fan though as it's like suede and leaves butt prints. But to me it's just texture.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My DD has two microfiber couches and they are holding up well with one huge pooch and two active young boys. I don't personally care for most microfiber but I love corduroy. I think it will work out great for you!

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I spent a couple of hours sitting on my fabric sample this afternoon. So far no butt prints! kew2006, what a picture! We really love our pets, don't we? I'll continue my "sit testing" tomorrow and observe how the fabric looks in different lighting throughout the day. Meanwhile, all other observations are welcome!

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

We have a microfiber hide a bed, have had it for 9 years and it still looks new (does get the butt prints though, just need to sweep a hand over the fabric!).

And kew2006- love the dog!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

We have two microfiber sofas at our Cape house. This one is in the LR and is very comfortable, even now with the muggy weather. So easy to spot clean.

This post was edited by bonnieann925 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 8:39

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

This one is a sleep sofa in the den. Again, comfy and easy to spot clean.
    We went for durability and comfort and have been very pleased. Love the dog! Ours is allowed on both couches!

This post was edited by bonnieann925 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 8:41

• User
    9 years ago

Our DS has a futon with a microfiber- covered cushion, and it is still in good shape after years of college dorm life, and moves and people and dogs sleeping on it. It even survived life in a fraternity house!

And years ago I had a pair of navy slacks in a microfiber fabric that I used to take on trips. They were really and truly miracle pants. They didn't stretch, sag, stain, or go limp, and were actually wash and wear with no ironing needed----and I have EVERYTHING ironed, even my sheets, so that is saying a lot. If you can find something you like in microfiber, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

• smgrant
    5 years ago

I've had my microfibre sofa for 16 years and I finally feel I have to replace it. I have loved it! It's not shiny, I find it quite rich looking and it held up for a good 15 years. I have two dogs, and yes the dog hair shows, but at least that way you can easily brush it off before someone sits down and gets their clothes full of hair. Pet hairs stick to just about any fabric. I'm debating on another microfibre or a nice smooth leather for my next one. Good luck!

• nanasuesto10
    5 years ago

I'm seriously thinking of 2 white microfiber [not microsuede] sofas for our living room here in Florida. They will not be cheaply made...looking into nailhead trim and cushions wrapped with down over foam core. This will allow me the most versatile use of the room...I've got a bright colored rug and throw pillows plus bright leather chairs...will I be sorry? Is the fabric hot after sitting?