Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsomeadvice

What are these called and how would you decorate with them?

needsomeadvice
9 years ago

Got these as a gift. These take only artificial plants, right? How would you set them up? Thanks

Comments (15)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

they are very feminine and very traditional so the first thing to determine is whether it reflects your taste and whether it goes with the rest of your stuff. IF not, maybe regift, discreetly.

they're just hanging pots. They likely have no holes so if you don't want to use artificial flowers, you can use them as very pretty plant rooting vessels,

You can also grow something like pothos Ivy which can grow permanently in water but you will have to ck the water from time to time and trim roots from time to time as pothos will outgrow the container. Another plus of growing something like pothos is than it can be hung in a less than sunny spot and it will live.

• needsomeadvice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, pothos would be a good option but I live in the tropics and shouldn't leave standing water because of incidence of dengue mosquito. Do you think I could put soil in there? Or since the pots have no drainage system it is not possible? Thanks

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

They're ceramic wall sconces. I agree that you should decide if they're your style before doing anything with them. They are quite small, so if you do want to use them, pair them up with a mirror or something else in a cozy room.

You can put silk flowers, dried flowers, candles, whatever you like in them. If it were me, I'd only put fresh flowers or plants in there with stems tied in a baggie of water.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

you don't have to put anything in them and could just use them decoratively. But if they are your taste, I might put dried lavender in them and hang them in a hallway or bathroom where the scent would linger. Not sure the availability of lavender in the tropics tho'.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

aka Wall Pocket. Might be vintage.

ML

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

My gosh, I think I have plates that match those. Are they stamped with Homer Loughlin?

• needsomeadvice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope i'm afraid they're a fake. But well, they'll serve their purpose. If any of you have any pictures of what these could look like hung on a wall, it would be great to see some...

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Here's an essay on "What Are China Wall Pockets and What To Do With Them".

How did we live before the internet?

Here is a link that might be useful: What Are Wall Pockets

• mclarke
    9 years ago

You could lose your mind entirely and become a rabid collector:

• needsomeadvice
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • coll_123
    9 years ago

"How did we live before the internet?"

I know, isn't it crazy! When I was kid we had encyclopedias and microfiche at the library. Kids today have no idea how good they have it!! And a huge shout out to the people that put tutorials on youtube- I've learned a lot there, lol

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I have a couple of similar "wall envelopes". In two of them, I keep those paper hand towels for guests in two of my bathrooms. The third, I have up on a bulletin board in my kitchen, and it holds menus of local restaurants for my tenants.

Yours look too small for those kinds f things. In yours, I'd put maybe pens and pencils, maybe cotton balls in one in a bathroom, makeup brushes...

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

For a guest bathroom ... place for new toothbrushes and paste. Or, on a wall by a TV, put the remote?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

If you live in the tropics you should be familiar with air plants they would work well in these. Or just put a pretty potpourri in them for a light scent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air plants

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have 4 "wall pocket" type pieces that I purchased from a local artist about 10 years ago. The artist called her pieces "flower slippers". I actually put real plants in them. They only hold a small amount of dirt but the plants have been growing in them for years. I believe I have only changed out the plants once. I am not really a plant person so I don't know the names of the plants but they are succulents.

You might be able to put dirt in you pieces and grow real plants in them as I have done.