Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Bedroom in Progress

grlwprls
10 years ago

I am finding that it is really difficult to redo a small room! It seems like there is hardly enough room to turn around and the close quarters makes painting a challenge.

All my elements are here now. My linens and my new to me Chinese Chippendale/Bali Hai furniture pieces. I do need to spray paint all the furniture, but right now it is boiling hot here in Arkansas *and* my neighbors are digging a FIRE PIT (but that's another thread!).

Im looking for a little feed back on the lacquer color. I'm using Amy Howard Home's Easton Green lacquer (and spraying the hardware to look more brassy than gold).

Bedside Tables:

Linens:

With basket sprayed with Easton Green lacquer:

And lacquered basket against SW Naval accent wall:

I still need to come up with something for the floor - need an 8x8 square with an all over (no central) design. Maybe just a custom wool sisal remnant.

I do really like the Chiang Mai with the trellis and scallop patterned duvets. But honestly, I could go in almost any direction with my lacquer. Orange, teal, even yellow. The other walls in bedroom are SW Creamy.

Comments (44)

• User
    10 years ago

Love the green and navy and if I could kidnap those bed tables I would.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 10:40

• User
    10 years ago

Another Duplicate Sorry I don't know why this happens

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 10:41

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I think CL has made it clear that you better guard the tables.

I vote for the green.

I painted my stuff yesterday! It's a peacock blue, more than navy. I remember thinking if I went too dark, all the details would get lost.

Go Green!

We will have bedrooms that will look great together!

(I"m still waiting on the duvets)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Love it.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Absolutely perfect!!! LOVE that fabric!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay! I'll stick with the green. Now, to wait out the weather.

I love the Chiang Mai pattern too. I wanted to wallpaper my powder room in it, but it's just too dear, and with all the crazy angled wall there would be a lot of waste. So, I settled on having two 18x18 pillows sewn locally here in Little Rock.

My budget for this room is $2500. Probably a little high considering the square footage, but we have nothing other than the mattress.

I am really looking forward to the big reveal. Hopefully, in a week or so.

• jstrohmanvel
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful! Love all the colors.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

What color are the walls? One dark navy wall?

Sorry to disagree with everyone, but although i usually like the combination of blue and green, I think green chests with those lovely fabrics will end up campy and not sophisticated, though maybe you aren't headed in that direction for your room. The room may look smaller with the strong contrasting colors.

The spray green lacquer will flatten all those lovely details in the chests & make them look a bit plastic in appearance IMO. I would have 'antiqued' the chests in a dark charcoal grey & blackened the hardware or painted the chests in a blue from the fabrics and then antique washed them in a dark glaze like the last picture. Just my musings.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Am I not supposed to like the first image? :-) That is the feeling I am going for! I really am looking for a young, fresh, vibrant scheme to blind me (and anyone else who wanders by) to the incredibly awkward and ridiculously cramped second floor space plan. I wouldn't call it campy, but maybe others would. I'm okay with that.

And the room *is* small. It's not even 10x10. If the walls weren't so broken up I would have painted them *all* navy, but ultimately, I went with the one wall so as to draw attention to the bed. Although since the queen sized bed is the only thing that fits in there, it would be hard to miss it!

Bee, when will we be seeing these peacock blue pieces?

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I love trying new products.
    I will have to put Amy's lacquer on my list .

Can't wait to hear how the paint worked for you.

And Bee~ Did I miss the peacock blue pc. as well ?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

grlwprls,

If you like the first image, then you're on the right track for that Dorothy Draper look.

I'd still consider leaving the pulls just as they are. The sprayed brass/gold might make it look a bit sad like these top three cabinets.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forboystoo,

I am definitely going to try some practice pieces because I don't think I am getting very lacquer-ish look. Or maybe I need to adjust my expectations on glossy shine.

Then again, I did spray it on a basket. It doesn't really have much surface area to shine, if you know what I mean. But as of right now, I'm not more impressed than I am with typical spray paint + high gloss finishing spray.

I am going to dig around for one of my left over cabinet doors and see what shine level I get with that.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

They were being painted outside, and I was in a time crunch as my dh was leaving town, and as soon as they dried we dragged the pieces into the badly lit basement. So, I have no pics, yet.

I just put the first coat of poly on them this am. Hoping that makes them shiny. I'm not quite sure what part of high gloss I'm not getting with high gloss paint....

And as if this isn't enough insanity, I have a Free awesome dresser in the garage (White Furniture Co., I think) that just got it's 3rd coat of very dark gel stain. That is for a daughter's apartment.

No wonder my back hurts today.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, so I'm not the only one not getting the high gloss...could it be the heat or the humidity? It's both here.

It doesn't look like the heat is going to break for at least another week according to the long range forecast. So I guess we will live with all the bedroom furniture living in the dining room for a little longer.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Call me crazy, but I don't think the brass makes the chests look sad, LOL! Maybe I'm just tickled that brass isn't the pariah it once was.
    Seems to me that distressing the end tables will be going the wrong design direction.

So the spray lacquer doesn't really LOOK like lacquer? Maybe you should call that company and ask them about that.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I like the green paint; I like the fabric. But I'm having a hard time seeing them working together. You said in your original post you wanted feedback on the lacquer color. Since you already have the fabric, but haven't yet painted, maybe you could consider a different color that is still "young, fresh, vibrant, and blinding". Maybe the periwinkle in the fabric.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is sort of a vingette of the design elements. I do think, that until it's fully accessorized, it might feel a little "not quite right". But I feel confident that the Chiang Mai is almost a neutral, like blue and white Chinese pottery (I just think it looks fabulous in any space, really).

We'll see. I have a "spare" night stand (I had to buy a pair, but a matched pair won't fit flanking the bed) so I will paint it in the green, move it in, and reverse course if needed. The Chiang Mai pillows are just throw pillows - the rest of the bedding is white or navy, so I'm nervous about pulling out a color from that since they are the most transient element (even though I love them and they aren't going anywhere as expensive as they were!).

• roomplicity
    10 years ago

very nice :)

• jstrohmanvel
    10 years ago

Love it! Very fresh and happy!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Just here to report an update on my painting of the same furniture...

Since I went with water based enamel this time (the begonia desk was oil based paint) I decided to use a water based poly on the top. The reason I learned to use the poly came from searching how to get an even looking spray on the big flat surfaces. No matter how I sprayed, it just never looked perfect. So, the poly eliminates that issue. Anyway, last time I used and oil based poly for the oil based paint. Worked out great. This time thought I should go with water based poly. The guy at Lowe's reassured me that the lines from the foam brush were probably from the cheaper foam brush and not the water based poly. (Last time I used a Wooster foam brush and had no marks at all). So, I thought, ok, let me buy some of the "pricier" Wooster foam brushes and do another coat of water based poly.

Still had the marks. So, I sanded with the highest grit sandpaper I could find, and did a coat of oil based poly before bed last night. Stuff does dry quickly, so that's good. But, it must level out better. Because today, it looks like glass. I only have the Satin version in oil in the house. I might have to get the gloss version to try too.

So, my reason for letting you know this is just in case you need to even out the top and are going to use a poly, you should use the oil based version! I think the yellowing issue should not be too big a deal on the colored pieces vs white ones.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oil does level very nicely. I wonder if you used the Ben Moore Advance paint? My painters actually thought my cabinets were painted with oil, but nope! BM Advance.

I will definitely keep the oil based poly in mind. What I don't get is why I am *not* getting a high lacquer look from a paint billed as one step lacquer in a can! All the reviews are glowing...what am I doing wrong? This isn't my first paint rodeo.

It's supposed to be much cooler (84) and drier on Saturday. I just hope thee will be no fire pit building going on next door. I have *a lot* of painting to do!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I spent my day prepping, priming, and painting my drawers and hardware. Any schmutz is on my camera. But, there is a slight ding that since I'm going to have to sand lightly again, I am going to go afterthe divot again with filler.

Not as shiny as I'd like it to be, so I have a technical questions email in to the company. We'll see what they come up with as the issue. Maybe it is the heat. Although I am working in the shade. I am spraying away from me so I shouldn't be getting overspray issues. I hope a light sanding and another top coat will get me where I want to be tomorrow on this first bedside table.

And, because I can, gratuitous pet photo:

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

That looks like my dog!!! Are we leading parallel lives?

Love the green too.

(What about a brush on clear Lacquer to put on top? I'm running to the basement to see the results of the last coat of poly--it is oil based, gloss.....cross your paws, I mean fingers.)

Update:

I'm back. Holy Schmoley! It looks wet. It ISN'T!!! I have found the Holy Grail !!!!!!! I can see my reflection in it!!!!

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 20:42

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I thought of you, GrlwPrls, when i saw this room. It is called the Jonathan Adler room .. it's at a hotel in Maine.

{{!gwi}}

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's the brand of this oil poly? I love the color, but I want crazy *shine*.

And I like that hotel room!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Minwax. Gloss. Get a good foam brush. Lowes has sheets of sandpaper that are 400, and sponge versions around 3hundred+. I used the finest one between the poly coats.

Here is a link that might be useful: This, in gloss

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too windy to spray today, so I'm back to organizing the junk room. Drat!

As to the "not lacquer-y" lacquer. The technical department says that it's because I am spraying outside. The environment causes overspray. Either that, or not applying enough product. Sadly, I don't have a place inside to spray (our basement is full of pilot lights) - so I think I'm going to use this for color and do a separate glossy topper. Disappointing.

Despite my efforts to limit (and/or contain) the effects of overspray, its almost impossible since my neighbors are so damn close. I cannot spray with wild abandon. So I have a little tri fold project board set up at the end of my workspace.

Where do most people spray paint?

• mdrive
    10 years ago

"where do most people spray"

i would love to hear suggestions on this as well....the only place i have other than outside on the drive would be my garage...

i've been thinking about using painters poly drop cloth to create a spray 'booth'...maybe taping or using push pins to attach to the ceiling and putting regular drop cloth on the floor...i'm thinking about spray painting my metal storm doors, so it be a lot of spraying!

sorry if this seems to be a thread hijack...i love the bedroom colors and really look forward to seeing the finished look!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

good news. The high gloss look I saw last night? Well, it was still there this am. I was afraid it would soak in and become less than wet-looking.

I just did all the sides and front again in the oil-based gloss because the water based gloss that they already had on them wasn't that glossy. And when I put the drawers back in, it would look odd.

OH, and here's a tip I found on a pro's website. In order to prevent overspraying on the drawers, if they are inset (which these are) leave them in during painting. Then you just have to touch up the top edge and side with a brush. Not sure how that works when you are using an aerosol can to spray. (unless it is available in a can too).

I did pull the drawers for the poly steps. The poly works so much better on horizontal surfaces.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desert,

I welcome the high jack. My travels today are taking me near ::cough:: WalMart and I am seriously considering going to buy a 10x10 shade structure and some zip in side panels. That was my plan originally, I hoped it wouldn't be necessary, but this product is proving to be a little fussier than all the compensated bloggers seem to suggest. They are all like "Spray! Done!" And I'm like "hmmm, I have one shiny corner and a big dull patch".

So makeshift spray booth and respirator mask are on deck for today.

That said, I used Bee's gold leaf spray and a little Martha Stewart guilding liquid in brass and I really like how it turned out.

I am glad I have a "spare" bedside table, but I am sad that I've already blown through an $18 can of spray paint with little more than a blotchy set of drawer fronts to show for it.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

awesome grl!

please take a pic and post the makeshift spray booth when you can....i think there is one in my future...i've found some pretty good instructions online, but most are more complicated than i care to endeavor....(yes i am lazy..lol)

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the first bedside table. I basically blew through *2* cans of spray paint already! At $18/can +9% sales tax. I bought five. I think I will need at least two more to finish.

But, here she is - the first "test" bedside table:

This paint is definitely not as easy to work with as the compensated bloggers would lead you to believe.

But, my husband loves the retro green!

• amykath
    10 years ago

Your side table looks fantastic! It looks like it came in that color. You did a fabulous job! Cannot wait to see the rest of the room come together.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really love the color. It hasn't been easy, doing this project, but I hope it will be worth it in the end.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a shot of my "spray booth".

It's a 10x10 Coleman instant canopy with sun walls. It has a vented top and there is a little air flow near the poles, but it really helps with the overspray issue.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Intrigued by your spray booth. I have only sprayed out on the driveway, sometimes under a covered space but the cars tend to be parked there .I once did a small, 2 drawer filing cabinet for my son's room. I thought it was going to be a quick job (day or two) using paint I already had on hand and it turned into one of the most involved projects before I got the look he wanted. I think it was more like a week or two, but it was still rewarding once done. Yours will be too. Your test piece is looking great.

I'm not a bright green person, but I do like it as an accent in certain combination. I like the look you are going for. I also have a guest room that is small and has a lot of broken walls. Mine is T-shaped and only has a twin right now because it is a family heirloom that survived the Chicago Fire and I won't part with it. That allows me to have a craft table and a sewing table in there. Works for now - a challenge, but actually kind of fun to work with.

Have fun pulling your room together. I think it's going to look great and be a fun change.

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

Looks great so far. I know in a small space there generally is no architecture, just the 4 walls so the pizazz needs to come from the contents and wall color. Looking forward to the completed look.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My new to me headboard was damaged in shipping but the Etsy seller handled it like a real class act. But, in the interim, I ordered a replacement from another Etsy seller and I am holding my breath that the new new one will arrive in "normal vintage, with some wear" condition :-)

But, here's some progress shots (and a bonus of my "ladies office" that I carved out at the top of the stair landing)

As wide a shot as one can get in a tiny room (less than 10x10 with a wall of windows that get the morning light)

That's the PBteen Qunicy scallop bedding. I also have a trellis and a floral pattern. The duvet is really there to keep my dog from getting all his dog business on my white Peacock Alley coverlet and to add a little contrast.

I am waiting to see what I feel like I need above the bed after the headboard is the same Easton Green Amy Howard lacquer. Of course the current headboard blends right into the SW Naval wall.

Here's a tight shot of the bedding:

My dresser, which is in the "breezeway" between the bedroom pod and the sitting room trapped behind it:

I still need to change the lampshade and properly accessorize it. I have a mirror coming. My bird's nest fern is just there because there's no table in the sitting room and I don't want to forget to water it.

And a bonus shot of the office area:

It's a CB2 peek-a-boo acrylic console with a vintage Chinese Chippendale chair (with an IKEA sheepskin on it). It is small but it is mighty this office of mine. I love it. There's a great window to the left that overlooks my neighbor's pretty Rose of Sharon tree (but I can't see into his yard). The desk area still needs some accessorizing, hence the tight shot, but so far, I am so very happy with this house. The accent walls really energize me and I love all the color after years of being a slave to neutrals. The wall color is SW Begonia.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

This is so cool! I love the colors and bedding you've chosen. That PB Quincy bedding is fantastic. What a great space!

Are those IKEA sheep throws?

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, pipdog. And yep, they're IKEA sheepskins. My dad bought them in Orlando and shipped them to me.

This weekend I am working on getting the books that I moved out of the stair landing alcove where my desk lives now into the sitting room around the French doors. I am (surprise) painting an accent color behind the books - leaning toward SW Aleutian but the furniture that will be in the sitting room is a little midcentury modern in feel (tufted streamlined sofa, a midcentury dresser for my husband's smalls (and where the TV will sit) - so I don't know if I should look for something more punchy.

I want to get that project done - so I can shut the junk room doors - but I am really waffling on my accent color. I just want to pull in the colors of the sleeping room with accessories - not with any big commitment. Plus, I need to lay down a cowhide rug my dad bought me...so this room is going to be a little wacky.

• jockewing
    10 years ago

Wow grlwprls-- -i came across this post when searching "bird's nest fern" since i just bought a beautiful one at the nursery this weekend.

I love faux bamboo, chinoiserie, and that Dorothy Draper look. I love your room. Can I see a pic of the completely finished product? I actually think you should just paint the whole room the navy color.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Beautiful. It is very happy and cheerful. I have always loved the colors together and no matter how cold, how rainy, how bleak, it is a cheerful look.

I did my boys room in a Chinese blue Oriental/lime green look once when they shared a room. The furnishings were special ordered. They were Chinese blue, with the same pulls as your furniture and straight line (very Oriental) and very expensive. The wallpaper had a white background with blue/lime bamboo, closet doors (one in blue, one in white) with white bedspreads, white blinds, white furry rug atop their carpet, white corded bedspreads in cotton. It was really beautiful but yours is more so since you did the painting of the furniture yourself.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone