Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with short, off-center windows -- HELP

Posted by lilyrowan (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 16:07

My bedroom wall is wide enough to accommodate a full size bed and two night stands (117 inches). The window on that wall is significantly off-center; the window frame is 38 inches from the wall on the left and 9.75 inches from the wall on the right. The window is short (30 inches tall) and set close to the ceiling (11.5 inches down). If I hang the curtains or drapes so that the window appears to be in the center of the wall, only about 24 inches of the window shows and I think that will look skimpy, right? I have read on this forum about putting long drapes on either side of short windows then using a woven shade over the window. It is a nice look, but I think in my case, the window opening is just too small. One solution is to make the drape go all the way across the wall. I was also thinking about using a sheer over the opening (instead of a woven shade). Would this make the opening look less skimpy? I guess I will have to line the drapes to prevent the light from shining through the part of the window that is covered. Bummer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with short, off-center windows -- HELP

Embrace the lopsidedness! Center the bed under the window, if at all possible, and place a tall piece of furniture to the left. Don't even try to make the window look centered.

o

Chibimimi, I love your solution, unfortunately the bed won't fit under the windows -- too close to one side of the wall. I considered moving the bed to the other wall but if I do that I can't get in the closet. Maybe I can try replacing one of the night stands with something taller??? That might balance it somewhat. It does look kind of funky the without anything on the windows, which I like, but I was trying to be grown up about my bedroom.

o

Can you post a picture?

o

Do you NEED the window/s ?
My friend had one bedroom window that looked out into the public hallway in her condo.
She had someone cover the window to get rid of any light coming in then she had a mirror made to fit right over it.
It really came out nice - and we that used that room, like the privacy and darkness to sleep!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here