Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayb1

Leather or Upholstery sofa and allergies

rayb1
11 years ago

Which sofa is better for a seasonal allergy sufferer? Leather or upholstery? Thank you.

Comments (10)

• lolauren
    11 years ago

"Upholstery easily traps allergens and is much harder to clean."

Most allergists I've talked to recommend avoiding upholstery and carpet. There is a wealth of info on the topic if you google it.

• rayb1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. Designers are telling me that leather will limit the decorating choices.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I have no idea why they would say that it limits decorating choices. Leather sofas come in all colors and styles. I'd find a new decorator.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I don't think leather is any more limiting than upholstery. Both are available in neutral colors and styles ranging from modernist to traditional.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I have asthma like cat_mom's DH... and seasonal allergies. The asthma symptoms only started recently. Yes, you will be limited since you can't pick linen, cotton, etc.... but so what? :) I have only leather sofas and chairs because I want to minimize the situations where I can't breathe!

I would find a designer who understands the medical necessity of limiting allergens for you or the person with allergies. I don't know your specific situation, but making the home healthier for the allergy sufferer is more important than having some upholstered items. I do think this will challenge a designer..... ideally, rugs, curtains, carpets, etc. aren't ideal as they trap allergens.... yet those are the items that can warm up a space considerably.

• callie25
    11 years ago

Definitely go with the leather! My husband's allergies have worsened in the last few yrs & he says he can tell a definite difference when he comes into our Great Room. We not only have carpet, but also upholstered furniture. The leather can be wiped down periodically, but it's so difficult to eliminate the allergens in upholstered furniture.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

My youngest DD and I both have indoor and seasonal allergies. She unfortunately does asthma. We decided to go with leather after she kept having constant issues while sitting on our upholstered furniture. Even though I vacuumed the furniture several times a week and washed the parts I could she and I both suffered. The leather was an immediate improvement and I doubt we'll go back to having all upholstered furnishings (a chair here or there is ok). All the fancy decorating in the world won't matter a hill of beans if you and your family can't enjoy it.

We do have curtains and throw pillows too. I just vacuum the curtains regularly and pop them in the dryer for a few minutes on high to remove dust. Every so often I will wash or dry clean them. Throw pillows are best with a removable insert that you can replace every so often.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Of course leather only would be "limiting". Anytime you remove a choice you have limited yourself. Life is full of choices, everyone you make limits you!! Get a new decorator!! The FEEL you want your home to have with in your upholstery constraints is doable by a competent designer!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022