Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Need advice on living room rug- new hardwoods

akl_vdb
9 years ago

UPDATE BELOW WITH PIC!

My dog is going to hurt herself jumping on the couch with our hardwoods, we need a rug!

I'm thinking 9 by 12? What colours? The taped off area is about 11 across by 9 deep. The beige chair on the right I think we'll move to the other side of the fireplace (but our stove has been there now for over a month)

What do I need to look for? I've never bought a rug in my life. Thanks!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 15:55

Comments (56)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I read through the other thread -don't know how I missed it! Gorgeous persian rugs, so intimidating.
    newhomebuilder:
    I've heard about how only the front legs of the couch needs to be on the rug to anchor it, how does that work with the end tables? I know it's a stupid question, but won't they be crooked?

bbstx- I know, our house has no colour right now since we took everything down to paint, and removed the pink carpet and tile :) It's like a blank slate and I'm overwhelmed.

Tibbrix- I don't know what you mean about centred to the fireplace- like to the middle of the fireplace? Or pulled more out so it's past the fireplace to the kitchen so the fireplace is centred? Sorry I'm such a dummy about this! I do like the natural fibre thing too, but there's no colour, I don't know how to add colour, but realize I need to!

Holly-kay- gorgeous rug.
    I don't know if we could do 2 K for a rug. So counter intuitive to cover up the hardwood, but we do have to do it.
    Thank you for the guidance!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

aklvb, yes, I meant pull the rug out so that the fireplace is centered. And you only "need" color if you want it.

The sisal rugs are much more affordable than the Orientals and Persians, and they're nicer than knockoff Orientals and Persians.

There are a lot of ways to get color. I like the earthy natural tones in your room. You can always add pillows or wall art, plants..to bring color in. The rug in the link below would look great in your room, on that floor.

For color, you could put down an indoor-outdoor rug. Here is a braided indoor/outdoor rug. "They're" making them now in beautiful patterns, and they take a beating. Perfect if you had dogs and young children. And they're very affordable.

Here is a link that might be useful: sisal rugs

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe paint the walls a nice color?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix, we just painted like a month ago :0 :) No seriously, I appreciate the advice. We do like the earthy natural tones, but I feel drawn to teal lately, and mustard (again). But do love natural fabrics now and the whole organic texture thing.

We took our art work down and DH and I are hesitant to put it back up and have more holes in our walls until we're sure of what we want again. We've been here almost 10 years and are finally making it our own. The pink carpet did have a nice colour though!

I just find our house has been in such turmoil lately with our kitchen insurance reno that's taking almost a year and has snowballed that I'm taking things slow.

I was in no hurry to get a rug for our living room (I need one for the bedroom too now, sigh), but our puppy dog hurt her back, perhaps from jumping, I'm not sure, but I don't want to take that chance of her getting hurt on the hardwoods jumping.

According to the vet though, we need to carry her up and down stairs for the next 3 weeks, so she won't be jumping on anything for a while.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry, re: paint color on the wall.

You can always just get a runner to put in front of the sofa so the dog can jump up without her feet slipping. Don't get those dog stairs. I've yet to see a dog use them. They prefer to jump. If you do anything like that, get a platform that is about half way down from the sofa so that she has two jumps up to the sofa.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problem Tibbrix- re:paint, I know what you were getting at.

My dog is a jumper (which is why I was scared today when she wasn't jumping on anyone and took her to the vet).

A rug would be great, then my kid won't be relegated to his room with his hot wheels all the time.

I'll have to take a look at some local stores and see what's offered.

So does the rug go under the end tables as well? Or just under the sofa and coffee table? I tried to Houzz and google it, but it seems anything goes. What would go in my instance?

Thanks!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think in that room you want a rug that begins about 3 inches behind the front legs of the sofa and extends across the room so that the FP is in the center of the rug.
    That would be the depth of the rug.

for the length, you want the chair that is on the diagonal to be on the carpet, I would think, so in that case, yes, the end tables would not be ON the rug, per se, but the rug would fall in front of them. They're likely more than three inches from the end of the arm of the sofa, right? The rug is about three inches behind the legs of the sofa.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix, that makes it clearer. I probably will move that chair to the other side of the fireplace once the oven is out of the way.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

My non-matching end tables are not on the rug, but do butt up to the rug.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks newhomebuilder- I think we can kind of see it now?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, my iphoto and my photobucket are not cooperating right now!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Your floors are lovely! But I think a nice carpet would warm up the room. I hope your cute little pup recovers from her recent injury. I have experience with that, and it's a difficult thing. I picked up some doggy stairs at home goods and my current dogs do use them to access the guestroom bed, which is where we watch tv. We have two dogs- one uses them a hundred percent of the time, and the other about 75 percent. We got rid of our bed frame when our first dog was suffering what we thought was a slipped disc. I never want to go through that again. Usually they can recover with a long period of strict rest...the worst case scenario is surgery to the tune of 7- 8k , so I think it's worth trying to do something to prevent future incidents.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks coll_123-it's so sad when our little ones are in pain and can't tell us why or where :(

She did luck out and get some wet dog food from us as she didn't eat her dry dog food yesterday, which seems to be common from what I've been told- associating pain with their food. And she got some antiinflammatories, that she seems to be responding to.

I'm going to see what's available local to us in stores and go from there.

• User
    9 years ago

It is just so nice to see you concerned for your doggy's health. :)

This is coming from the weirdo who had to put small area rugs at the bottom of every stairs for the dog too. For some odd reason she feels the need to get a running start to go up stairs, and she was slipping badly at the bottom on the hardwood. So now I have random little 2X3 foot rugs at the bottom of the stairs.

I think a rug will really warm up your living room too - but I just had to comment to say thank you for caring about your dog. :)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks patriceny- we do love her, and nothing is worth compromising her safety! She's just over 9, and we got her right after we got back from our honeymoon and moved into our house (like the day after!).

She's so good with our son, and our son has learned so much about compassion and gentleness with having a dog around. She's our first baby :)

The things we do for our doggies, eh? Love the random rugs on the stairs you do for yours :)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went looking at rugs today, fell in love with wool ones. I wanted to buy all the wool ones. I love the softness, the feel, everything. Here are a couple I was contemplating, probably not too seriously, but I did kind of find what I liked.

And probably based on this thread, I was drawn to the traditional rugs!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More contemporary, a little dull, but I liked it if it was maybe a bit different colours.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

The first is a good match for your room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Really like that first one. And wool is so nice.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

i love that first one too- very pretty pattern and colors.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I think I'll take the husband this week (we went to another store, no luck at all!) and see what he likes.

I think it would actually be better to take it home and see (they allow that, I just don't know how to get this huge rug in my car!).

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Check overstock.com they have some beautiful rugs and very good prices.
    I bought one of my large rugs at Lowe's and I love it, is holding up great. It's called Paisley Park. Go with what you like you have to live with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugs

• amykath
    9 years ago

I can vouch for this rug from Overstock. I have it in my living room and it is lovely! It is richer than the photo shows. It is mostly teal with bits of red and orange, blues, creams, greens and browns. Just thought it might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Link

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the photoshop aktillery! That does look awesome. I did look at the rug on overstock, but would be scared to order as I haven't seen it. I think there was something quite similar at the rug store I was looking at. Plus I'm in Canada, so shipping and duties were an extra $300 +!

I think we'll head to Home Depot today too to see what they have.

Thanks all!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Good luck!! I am sure you will find something you love! Keep us posted!

• msrose
    9 years ago

I actually like the placement of the rug in your original picture. I can't imagine putting down those nice hardwoods and having the rug cover so much of it. I also added a rug for my dogs to have a little cushion to jump down on :) I started with a brown room (it's still pretty brown). I had light carpet at the time and I was looking for art that I loved. When I found something, I took the main color from it (green) and that became my accent color. I would do the same with the rugs. Look for one to fall in love with and you will have your accent color.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks msrose- I know, covering up so much, but I think I'll have to actually get one and see how it looks to make a decision on placement. I'm glad that I have another opinion about it!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Another thing about rugs is that they absorb sound and keep the room warmer on a cold day. ;)

Don't worry about getting a large rug in your car. The rug people will fold the rug into a tiny square to fit in any vehicle. Amazing! Easier to carry, also. My wool 12x15 dining room rug was folded into a 4x4 square.

• rachil
    9 years ago

We have an extensive range of rugs from cheap budget rugs to thick shaggy rugs, including wool or polypropylene shaggy rugs to contemporary styled rugs including modern contemporary rugs. Most of the shaggy rugs come in a variety of sizes which can give the impression of it being bespoke for your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: therugshopuk.com

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the first rug you posted, it's gorgeous and would looks so pretty in your room.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

What kind of rug pads do you guys use between a wool rug and hardwoods? We have those kind of rubbery waffle weave things and I worry that they are messing up the wood floors. They also don't cushion much.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

The pad that our rug place sold us is a thick wool like pad like the one I have linked to. What a pain trying to cut that thing to size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Pad

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! And for the advice on rug pads, I was only familiar on the rubbery waffle things.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I have the same kind as Newhomebuilder under my bedroom and LR rugs. They're great.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:
    Ok, I got one. I did not get a fancy wool one, we relooked at the nice blueish one that I posted upstream but it was so dull and greenish too. So off to Costco we went, spent under $300 and just got one to help the doggy. We love it, as does she. It's cozy, simple, and I will accessorize the living room someday :)

It is centred, just doesn't look like it in the pic.

Thanks for all your help!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And they moved the stove, yay!

And the rug is 95" by 124", so 7'11" by 10'4".

We did decide to put it right under the couch for now so as to not cover up all the hardwoods! We just did this at 9 pm last night, so we'll see how we like it in the light/function of day.

The rug is 2 tones, white and cream. It's so soft! Makes me want to put 2 inch shag everywhere in the house :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's perfect for your room! Really goes with your furniture style, and it looks so soft and comfortable. Gives the room a nice softness.

Congrats.

I would pull it out, though. Rugs compliment hardwood floors. They also protect them!
    It'll look better. No one really stares at floors. Lol.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbix! I stare at my hardwood floors :)

We'll see how it goes re: moving the rug. It's just that it comes out so much!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the rug! After my new floors are done, I want some area rugs this time also as I have a little dog and I want her to be comfortable. I just want plenty of my beautiful hardwood floors still showing. The Rug really brightens up the room!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We moved the rug over so only the couch is on it, the end tables are not. Pup likes it.

What do you think of positioning compared to above pic?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Much better!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bbstx!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

New position for rug is soooooooooooo much better. Really balances the room. I love the shag! Selected a shag rug this past year for a client who wanted it, and I was hesitant, but it turned out great.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks beveryly27! I'm surprised how much we like it. I do want to accessorize with teal, and perhaps mustard? But in due time. Loving the softness of the rug for now.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I like the new position of the rug better as it balances better with the Fireplace. Thanks for posting the pictures and giving us all ideas.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I like the new position of the rug a lot! And I really like the color. I wouldn't have thought that an all white/cream-ish rug would look so fantastic in that space, as it seemed to need a color, but it really looks great! And your dog seems so happy too :-)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Waaaaaay better. Way, way, way better. It looks fantastic. Be careful you don't step on the dog now. She pretty much disappears in that rug! Lol. If the rug squeals at you, you just stepped on the dog.

And remember to turn the beaters off when you vacuum the rug!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 18:34

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, and Tibbrix, I hope I remember re: beaters! I know, the dog blends into so much around here.

Malabacat- I thought it could use colour too, but the brightening up seems to help. I have a teal/cream throw I'm going to toss somewhere in the living room. That should spice things up :)

thanks lynn2006-I do see how it balances better. I just hate covering up the hardwoods. DH was opposed as well, but he's already been seen cuddling with the dog and the kid on the rug a couple times today :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The rug looks wonderful in your room and the new position is perfect. It still lets your hardwood beauty shine but the room looks so much more balanced with it pulled away from the wall.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks holly-kay!