Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Have you seen this table and bench?

Boopadaboo
9 years ago

I have a small area in my kitchen for a table. Now that DH painted the kitchen I would like to find a better table for the spot.

This is the best picture of the spot I have....(the light, table and sofa are all gone now)

It is now a different color though (excuse the mess)....

I am debating keeping the cabinets, but I do like them and we use the one on the left for a lot of baby things,

I found this table and bench on ebay....

They ebay ad says they will customize it. BUT, when I look at their other pictures they really look a lot more rustic and I am thinking maybe they didnt really make the one I put above. What do you think? I linked the ad below. I think this picture is not theirs.

I thought if I kept to the farmhouse look that I could keep the corner cabinets.
The only other sets that seem to fit size wise are MCM sets. I do like them, but not so sure they go with my house overall....

I LOVE this table, and it is the right size but I think that it will take up too much space since the chairs dont fit under it well.

This one also seems the right size, but expensive...

Here is a link that might be useful: farm table on ebay

Comments (15)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like the last table and chair set that you said is expensive. It looks to be a good quality but I would use chair pads to keep the rush seats from getting soiled.

Also frequent high end consignment shops. Honestly if I were young and starting over again I would buy everything from shops that have high quality furniture that people are just tired of. DD and I were at one of the local shops today and I could have decorated a home nicely for a song with some of the lovely selections they had.

I also would keep the corner cabinets because they are useful. definitely go for function over form while the kiddos are young.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

My parents have the chairs in pic #5, Circa 1958. They have been reupholstered many many times. That is not the table that came with their set. I am thinking this is a mismatch because as you said they do not fit under the table. This table needs benches all around!!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Of course I like the last one as well because it's expensive. But, it just looks really comfortable and it looks the best suited for a variety of decorating styles..

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love trestle tables like the one in this link. It has extensions and you can easily get chairs around it or put a bench on one side if you like. When you're trying to arrange chairs around a table, it's not so easy if the legs come straight down from the corners. (I also don't like 'em because they're toe stubbers.)

Here is a link that might be useful: trestle table w/extensions

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Ana White has plans for a table like the one you linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: AnaWhiteFarmhouseTable

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the second table, on the blacktop, against the building, might be Michael Taylor for Baker.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Boop - it comes down to 2 things: the wood itself and how they stain it.

I've seen tables made at our shop out of the wood from the same barn that we took down and they've turned out completely different. And sometimes the raw wood can just be unpredictable in how it will accept the stain and we might really have to tweak the stain itself or use toners based on customer preference. We really work w/ the customer in person to accomplish that. I can't imagine how difficult it would be working w/o the client seeing it in person during the various stages.

Here is one table that we did that I was sure would show heavy graining even after the stain and finish was applied. DH got it to a really beautiful dark grained finish despite how heavily grained the wood was to begin w/.

I would be very hesitant to order a custom piece w/o seeing it during the various stages. We always have our clients come in after something is built or refinished and in it's bare wood stage for them to choose their satin and finish. People have definite ideas of what they want their wood to look like.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting. I am surprised so many like the last one I posted. it is from Domain Home, I did love them before they went OB. It does say best offer.

hollykay - I agree with function over form while the kids are young :) That is why I was leaning towards benches. WHen the cousins or friends are over we are able to squeeze in more kids when we had that green sofa in the kitchen. Chair pads are a good idea.

Arcy - that is really good feedback thank you. I think you are right and those chairs do not go originally with that table. I do love that table and they will sell it separately. I wonder how hard it would be to find chairs to match. Given how long I have been looking for things that might not be practical for me and maybe I should just put it out of my mind.

thank you for weighing in blfenton

You know tomotofreak - I do agree overall. I like the idea of trestle tables because you can put a bench or sofa up to it more easily too. I am really having a hard time finding a small table I like though that isnt too flimsy if that makes sense.

I do like that some of these can be extended as well. I do have more room in the kitchen if it was a party, but day to day in the summer we go to the pool through those doors and while my youngest is still in diapers we use the odd extra island thing that is between the eat in area of the kitchen and the family room as a changing station. It has been that way for over 5 years.

The MCM one that you liked Pal says it is American of Martinsville. I have never heard of that. it was discounted on Ebay yesterday but did not sell. I wonder if they would recane the chairs as well as reupholster. I do think I would like a bright print. Would that look ridiculous?

I do really like that the chair backs are not too high and the table is interesting. I think it would be a less cluttered look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martinsville set.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Have you ever stopped a bit to make a plan for the room, Boop? The tables and chairs you've posted have literally been all over the map in terms of size, shape, style, color, degree of formality and quality, etc. I think your money would be better spent deciding how you want the room to look finished and then choose the furniture based on your vision of that end result. I do love looking at the various things you find but no longer have any idea what you are looking for and can't offer any opinions (and you know how I love doing that, lol)!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thefoxespad - that is a really good point. I guess when I say rusting I didnt mean the stain color, more the finish, but I could see how that could turn out differently too. There is a place that is closer to me that does advertise that they make furniture. I suppose I could show them the picture I like too.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is what I am trying to figure out KSWL!

I feel like it is a race. If I could find a table I like or a couch (for the family room from that other thread) I like that is used and good quality it would probably set the tone for both rooms. I have to say I am leaning towards MCM vibe overall but then I found that farm table with the bench with the back and I really really like it.

They are not all over the place in size. They are all under 40x60 which is what I have now. (Or the one with the bench they will make in that size) I think Ideally I would want 36x55 and they are all pretty close to that.

It is a bitty room. the only thing that will go in there is this table set besides the corner cabinets that are mounted on the wall.

I would like to find something of decent quality that will look good. :)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

If you're leaning toward MCM, stay in that lane and you may find a perfect table. Danish tables often look small until you start adding (or pulling out) extensions. Then you'll have a table many times the unextended size. I don't have a lot of dining space, either, but once I add leaves to my Danish teak table, I can get 14 people around it. (I do have to pull it out into the living room to do that!)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Oh, funny! I went looking for examples and found my table. I love this design, so easy to get chairs around and no stubbing my toes. You could put a bench on one side and slide in without working your way around a leg.

Here is a link that might be useful: expandable teak table

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Try this link for many more examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: extendable tables

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

And have you seen these sofas???? Any of them will go with the tables in the links above.

Honestly, I do think if you just decide on a style, you'll find the pieces that go together. Right now, you're spinning. I made the same comment as kswl on your sofa thread. I think we all want to be helpful, but until you make a decision on the starting point, I doubt we can.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCM style sofas

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts