Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

AS Chalk Paint...How's it holding up?

itltrot
11 years ago

I know there are at least a million threads out there about chalk paint. But I haven't found any that discuss how the paint is holding up to daily use.

I'm looking at using it on a dining table/chairs and maybe a media cabinet. But I'm concerned with longevity on a regularly used piece of furniture.

Do you have to be extra careful? Do you have to regularly wax/seal it? Do you have to use coasters to avoid water rings?

I'd love some feedback!

Comments (16)

• sas95
    11 years ago

I painted a dresser and nightstand a year ago. It's holding up fine. I haven't rewaxed or used any extra care. I do use coasters on the night stand, but I haven't tested it without coasters to know if you need them.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Chalk paint has it place.
    Media cabinet fine.
    Kitchen table not so much.
    Many people have had problems with areas of excessive grease.
    And of course many will disagree :)
    Also others have disagreed w/me using it on the inside of my 12 kitchen cabinet doors than putting a poly over it ..
    Took me a whole 30 min.
    I wasn't about to sand,prime and paint after spending 2 weeks doing the outside..As you can see I'm still not done..I added a shelf I need to paint and I'm thinking I'll paint the inside box as well.
    I don't know why the photo shows that mark on the corner there.

I recently found this site that gives a run down.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2012/09/using-paste-wax-vs-polyacrylic-sealers.html

• itltrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I should've been more clear on the table. I'm really just planning on using it on the base. But I'm worried about feet/shoes and chairs scuffing it.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

Are you going for an antiqued look with the chalk paint? If so, go for it without hesitation.

I have chalk paint on several items, but nothing that gets abused daily. One buffet table is painted on the sides and legs with some wax on top. It's surprisingly a solid finish once it had set. There are no dings or smudges in the finish thus far.

I think it would be fine for your application. It would be very easy to touch up if you ever need to.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I have been using ASCP for more than a year, and selling pieces I have painted with the chalk paint. It is my full time job and I have painted and sold 200 pieces plus. I have not had one complaint about the chalk paint holding up. I have used it on tables, chairs, beds, buffets- you name it. And as far as I know, no other vendor in the shop has had a complaint about the chalk paint.

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

I bought some ASCP pieces for our bedroom a few months ago - a small armoire/dresser and two nightstands painted in Coco. All three items have scratch marks where the finish has come off in places that were bumped but it mostly blends in with the distressing. Can't say I would call chalk paint and wax a "durable" finish, unfortunately.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure about a heavy distressed look but I'd be okay with some. But I guess with my cabinets being glazed a distressed kitchen table wouldn't look out of place? And just the base. The top I plan to stain and poly or whatever I need to to protect its finish from daily meals.

The media cabinet is also used as a end table. We already use coasters so it's not a big deal to continue using them.

Thanks for all the input

• vickishoemaker
    11 years ago

I think the fact that Annie has pieces in her home in England that were painted with Chalk Paint� over 20 years ago and they still are in daily use is a good testimonial. I have pieces that get moved constantly from show to show to show and if they get smudged or dropped from the truck I take a bit of clear wax and wipe one, wipe off...instant fix. Table tops are different. I still use and advise wax, but in a house with constant use, small children, etc, I would advise the Annie Sloan Lacquer which is different than poly. It soaks into the paint. I think it and roll it on for a great seal. But like ALL hand painted pieces, I treat them with care.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 Oaks Studio

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

If you really want durability I'd go for regular old milk paint instead - that stuff sinks in and holds on forEVER. :-)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm thinking of using the chalk paint with wax on my bathroom vanity. Is anyone using it with knobs and pulls that get used daily? What if it gets dirty around them?

The other thing I'm wondering is with paneled doors on cabinetry (solid wood). As the separate pieces expand and contract, how does the chalk paint react? Oil paint gets brittle and can crack (and does, I see it with the oil primer I had used). Latex is supposedly more flexible for this.

I am making my own chalk paint from acrylic paint, using 3:1 Plaster of Paris (or possibly calcium carbonate).

• karen.iz
    11 years ago

I painted my kitchen chairs and the pedestal of the table (left the top stained) with ASCP in Old Ochre. I love the way it looks. I did an experiment and only waxed the pedestal and one chair - left the others unwaxed (okay, so I got distracted and didn't get back to it!). It's been more than a year of heavy every day use (three teenagers). The waxed chair looks perfect, the unwaxed chairs are crying to be redone. I highly recommend waxing for durability!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

So you can wipe off greasy finger prints or food on the chairs? Not that anyone in your house is messy! lol

Anyone use it on shelving where you are sliding things around on the surface? I am hesitant to wax the interior of the cabinet. If it doesn't work out, it will be a bear or impossible to get the wax off in order to repaint, won't it?

I want the mellow waxed surface. I am concerned what happens when it needs to be redone down the road. Or grungy pull areas that I won't be able to clean off. On the other hand, spray painted cabinets wear around pulls and the finish can crack from wiping off. I might be able to repair the area with the chalk paint unlike a regular latex finish.

• legomom23
    11 years ago

Karen - could you post a picture of your chairs. I need to do something with my pine chairs and this is an option. I would love to see an example.

• karen.iz
    11 years ago

Sure, Legomom - here you go.

• legomom23
    11 years ago

Thank you Karen! Those look great. Was it easy to do? I am scared of ruining mine, so they go undone.

Karen or anyone talking about the chalk paint, why did you choose chalk paint over spray painting? I don't know anything about it.

• karen.iz
    11 years ago

Legomom, it was super easy to do. I sanded down the top first and refinished it (it was a mess) before I tackled the base and chairs.

With chalk paint, you don't need to sand the wood, which was a big factor in my choosing it. You just paint it on, it dries very smooth. I did two coats, but it really isn't necessary most of the time. When it was dry, I rubbed on clear wax, waited a while, and then used a little dark wax (all sold by Annie Sloan).

The chalk paint is expensive (as is the wax), but a little goes a long way.

There are several tutorials online - just google them. Watch them use it and go from there. Good luck!