Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grabembythegreenthumb

Paint for Blue Carpet in Living Room/Dining Room/Hallway/Stairs

I am just about to close on my first house. I got an amazing property for a great price, but it will need some work!

The living room, hallway, stairs, dining area and guest room are all carpeted in royal blue. I'm OK with the color (though not my first choice) because I LOVE color and hate beiges and whites, etc.

What would you suggest for paint colors (I have a whole lot of painting to do)? I would love to do a dramatic blue and red living room and perhaps a terracotta color in the dining area with the same carpet. I thought about doing 2-tone blue walls and red decor in the living room (although neutral sofa). Any suggestions? I've never been able to choose colors for a whole house before and I'm so nervous that my love of color will get out of hand!

Comments (36)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do you have any pictures? Even ones from the real estate listing? You may want to pick a good grey as a basis for the areas that connect the rooms together.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Not sure what you mean by two-tone blue walls. Perhaps a lighter blue for the wall?

If you want to try the bold, two shades of terracotta, one for each room, might work. I've linked a picture of a room with blue walls and wood floors which mimics the terracotta/blue combo. It looks really good!

Pictures of the existing would help a lot!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Blue walls with wood floor[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-houzz-an-eclectic-1920s-farmhouse-in-georgia-farmhouse-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~2535492)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Depending on the color of blue, I love using a golden color with it...whether this might work depends on the style of your home. Part of what works is the white woodwork; it wouldn't look so nice with 1980's oak colored trim. Not much is showing, but look at the wall color here.

Is this what you mean, two toned blue walls?

Gray couch looks great:

Look at all the great blues in this wallpaper -grasscloth maybe?

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the living room.

• User
    9 years ago

mama,
    First, I would paint whatever woodwork you do have white in the room.
    Its not really that big of a job, but it will really make the room look awesome!
    Dark blue rug and what is the color of the brick in the fireplace?
    You can get some paint samples cheap to see what color you like the most.
    Gold, any shade, would look good, aqua or blue green, NOT red, red I would go with accents, like on your furniture, lamps, ect.
    Personally, I think I would go with a light gold on the walls in the LR, only because it will go with anything as far as an accent color.
    Go get some samples, and see what you think, next to the fireplace to compare with brick color.
    Unless you want to paint the FP white, in which case any color will go that will go with blue.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I agree with Pal. Keep your background neutral. Use color as an accent.

Royal blue rug with Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter walls

Neutral walls and sofas with navy and red

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Santa Ana Interior Designers & Decorators Darci Goodman Design

This post was edited by bbstx on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 17:30

9 years ago

Olychick's first picture is perfect if you want a color with red accents.
    Perhaps look for an inspiration fabric similar to the one in the photo.
    There are many golds, so you can go as intense as you can handle.
    BM Goldfinch has a hint of the terracotta you originally mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Goldfinch

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the living room.

{{!gwi}}

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry but paint & labor is way too expensive these days to make color choices in rooms based on a carpet color that IMO is really limiting. I would sooner tear up the carpet and live on throw rugs then keep a carpet I wasn't wild about.

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually really love the color of the carpet. It's just limiting to what you can paint with it. I actually think the honey or gold is what I'm leaning towards. I would like to do an accent wall in a bolder color, perhaps.

My mother actually had this same color of carpet in the house I grew up in. I always loved it...but we had white walls everywhere, not a hint of color, except for the beige kitchen wallpaper...so I have a serious aversion to whites and beige.

But I did realize last night, the carpet lends brilliant color to the room already, so I need to restrain myself and go more neutral...and I really do love honey/gold tones, so it's a win-win. I also attached a photo of the dining area right off the living room.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I understand where you are coming from. My mother also doesn't like color. I've had many gold living rooms. I hope some of the more color-savvy GW'ers will address how the honey or gold colored walls will play with the color of the fireplace stone. I think they are going to fight unless the color is just right.

I don't see a lot of natural light from the photos you've posted. With the navy rug soaking up lots of the light, think about the feel you want your rooms to have.

Below are some additional ideas for colors with navy.

navy carpet with neutral walls and red accents

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Natick Carpet & Flooring Dover Rug & Home

navy, beige, and white with terra cotta accents

[Traditional Kids[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kids-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_24653~s_2107) by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Fina Designs

Navy with honey colored walls (info doesn't include paint color)

[Transitional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2112) by Linwood Interior Designers & Decorators CANDICE ADLER DESIGN LLC

more navy and white rooms

• Gracie
    9 years ago

How old is the carpet and is the pad the same age? Have you ever seen what lurks in old carpet pad? I'd pull up a corner and take a look. Do you love to vacuum? Everything that drops will show. I'd remove it from the dining room at least, which is very dark and the worst room to carpet.

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The carpet is in perfect shape and still very spongy and new feeling. I don't know how old it was. The house belonged to an elderly lady who went to a nursing home and who no doubt had very little traffic and loved blue and yellow. There is also a formal dining area off the kitchen, so I would probably utilize that more for eating, as it is not carpeted.

Tearing it out is NOT an option right now. I have a young child and I would rather keep what is in there and go through toddler terrors with the blue and as she grows up, I can start looking at something I'd like to keep for a long, long time.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it's going to be difficult to pick anything dark or saturated to go with the blue carpet that won't start to make the fireplace turn pink and yellow. In the LR I would pick something like a warm grey or beige and keep the color in the fabrics. In the DR, it looks like that's dark already but I don't think paint will lighten it up anyway (there's light paint in there now), so I don't think you have anything to lose by using a terracotta color in there:

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not a big fan of painting wordwork, but I must say, it looks sharp with the blue carpet. Not a fan of painting fireplace brick either, but I can't say I'm crazy about the color of brick on this one.

Also...with the wood banister on the stairway..would painting the rest of the woodwork look OK? Because I wouldn't want to paint that.

palimpsest, a bit too red with the blue (but I do looooooovvvveee reds), but I like the drama of the dark in that cove.

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I meant to also thank everyone for the suggestions; I'm so excited and nervous to decorate my first house, I've forgotten my manners!

Also, the outside is incredible, but VERY overgrown. My family loves outside projects and will be cutting down much overgrowth outside the windows, so it will be a bit lighter than it appears!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Usually the way to tie in a banister with painted woodwork is something like this:

With regard to the dining room red above: that's actually a darkish terracotta against white, but the blue carpet is so dark that it brightens the terracotta in comparison. You will have to take that into consideration if you use deep colors.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I would definitely paint the woodwork white. You can leave the stairs as is, as far as I'm concerned. Then pull a neutral color from the brick in the fireplace. You'll need to experiment with some large swatches -- get some pieces of poster board and samples jars of paint and see what looks best at different times of day, under different lighting conditions. I think either a pale gray/greige or a beige...always hard to tell from photos but I wonder if something like BM Monroe Bisque might work.

Then you can use more color in your furnishings.

Here is a link that might be useful: monroe bisque

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Take a look at this paint, BM golden wheat. It brightens up any room and is so warm and cozy. It's one of my favorites. Pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM golden wheat

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Several houses ago, I had stairs with a natural wood handrail and balusters similar to yours. One of my neighbors had the same set up. They painted the balusters white and the hand rail black. It made the set up look so much fresher and more up-to-date than my house! Short of that, I would definitely do as Pal shows and at least paint the balusters white.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Okay. I VOTE BOLD! If you want color and go neutral you won't be satisfied. I love this pairing with the blue carpet:

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm here for a reason...I've never considered myself much of a decorator and I'm a little overwhelmed. I've never had a house with so many large rooms with which to do whatever I please (long history of MANY rentals, most of which I didn't bother to paint)

I really like the honey and gold tones. I normally ABHOR of painting woodwork and brick, but I think white trim would love sharp with the blue. Banister...no paint, no way! But...I am thinking...I don't like the color of the fireplace rock. What if I painted that? And would you by chance go bold on that color?

And if you were going the pale gold for an all over room color, what would you use as an accent? And would you use the fireplace wall that extends in the dining room as the accent wall?

What if I quit asking questions now and allowed you to answer??? Just trying to conjure up any scenario that's a possibility!

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm here for a reason...I've never considered myself much of a decorator and I'm a little overwhelmed. I've never had a house with so many large rooms with which to do whatever I please (long history of MANY rentals, most of which I didn't bother to paint)

I really like the honey and gold tones. I normally ABHOR of painting woodwork and brick, but I think white trim would love sharp with the blue. Banister...no paint, no way! But...I am thinking...I don't like the color of the fireplace rock. What if I painted that? And would you by chance go bold on that color?

And if you were going the pale gold for an all over room color, what would you use as an accent? And would you use the fireplace wall that extends in the dining room as the accent wall?

What if I quit asking questions now and allowed you to answer??? Just trying to conjure up any scenario that's a possibility!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Over the last several years, I've painted several things. Below is a clip from igloochic that I've followed when I've painted. I painted a bathroom vanity using the SW Prep-Rite. All I did first was wipe the cabinet down with a damp microfiber cloth.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posted by: igloochic on 08.01.2008 at 01:01 pm in Kitchens Forum

OK DON'T use deglosser. Instead, use Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Interior Exterior Seals and Bonds, Latex primer (be sure you get exactly that one...it says BONDS on the label). It's made to cover shiny surfaces and bond tightly, and I've used it in several kitchens, and on all of my interior woodwork and it does BOND!! No sanding, just wipe down your cabinets with either a TSP and water mixture or a little vinager and water to get rid of grease.
    This stuff is wonderful. I've converted many naysayers to the primer because you really don't have to sand or use a deglosser, and even if they're thermafoil...it will BOND and you'll have a finish you can then paint on. :O) It's so much easier. I just love it (I just picked up another couple of gallons last night). And the finish will be tough as nails by the way. I personally also like to use a high quality sherwin williams paint.

THis is the base for a dark color:
    Sherwin Williams All Surface Glass Enamel
    Acrylic Latex HIGH GLOSS Ultradeep base 6403-25932

If you're painting white, just ask for the same thing in a white base.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy a good brush. I use Purdy. They are a little pricier, but it will be worth it in the long run. Allow the paint to dry well between coats.

9 years ago

I suggest bringing home some samples of gold/honey colors and trying them out on around the fireplace. The right color might change your mind about the stone color. If that doesn't work, consider applying a stain to the fireplace. There are many hits on this topic if you Google it and I have a friend who did this, amazing how it changed her stone!
    I love the idea of the red/rust/terracotta idea you mentioned in your first post--try those around the fireplace also. Selcier is right on--go for your bold!
    And I agree about painting the trim but leaving the stairs white.
    Good luck!

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked / answered, but what happened to the four corners of the fireplace?

• Jules
    9 years ago

kswl, I think those are fireplace vents. We had them on our first fireplace 20 years ago in a house built in the 50s, but IIRC we had only two squares located on the top of our surround.

mama, I like the idea of a neutral wall and really playing up the blue in the curtains and accessories such as pillows. There are so many great blue patterns to work with.

Google "navy blue curtains"

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

While I normally oppose painting any kind of masonry, I think in this case, it's a good idea.

I'd also get some trim wood and build up over the FP to the ceiling and paint that a whole other color than the wall. Beef up the mantel if you're able. See the link below on painting and adding wood trim to a FP.

I think I'd also paint the trim more of an off-white. White with navy is very marine looking, which I don't think would look right there.

Lousy rendition, but just to give you an idea. I can't do light colors over dark with this program.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY FP Fixup

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd probably paint the walls in a lightish gray (like the grout) or some light beige. It's hard to tell from the picture, but perhaps something like Manchester Tan.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Take a look at SW Restrained Gold and Blonde. Those are nice honey golds without being too brassy. Glidden Water Chestnut is also nice with blue. As for the stone, it may work with a new paint color, but if not go neutral with it and let that be the accent wall. You don't want to have competing focal points. The carpet is such a striking color that you may not need an accent wall though. Perhaps just a nice large piece of art or some really dynamic fabric.

I would definitely paint the woodwork and paint the adjoining dining area the same color. You can set a nice tablescape with colorful place settings for some pizzazz. And i would absolutely change the light fixture in there. There are lots of affordable options out there.

I attached some fabric swatch ideas using restrained gold and blonde. Enjoy decorating your new place.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Love the idea of navy/white curtains.

• mikehanson89
    9 years ago

well for dining area you can use this rugs. Its 8X10 feet 100%wool. Its Washable you can use this rugs long time. Its give your dining are beautiful scenario. this rugs design is persian. Its weight 27.3 kg and handtuffed. if you don;t like this rugs you can search more product according to your requirement in yanx.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Wholesale Carpets

• grabembythegreenthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions everyone, thank you. I really love the idea of building the fireplace up. You've given me lots of ideas to think about! I still have no idea what I will do (I'm usually not this indecisive when it comes to color!)

Also, I already have furniture. Champagne color couch and chair with a black herringbone pattern. Maybe that sways your opinions some. Or I could put the deep green set in there, but...eh...

Stay tuned...I have two yellow tiled bathrooms and a white kitchen, white dining room, and a sun porch with bead board ceilings and walls, an identical fireplace of the one in the living room...painted allllll white.

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks Jujubean, I've never seen that.

Yayagirl, the link you posted...,the very first picture is our library, about five years ago, it must have been cribbed from GW. The color is Benjamin Moore Golden Straw though, I guess that got jumbled in the internet ether, lol.

9 years ago

Mammashakesit--
    If you want to use your champagne sofa, you've got to include the black. Look for a color for the walls that will work with both the upholstery and the fireplace. What you find will help you decide whether or not to paint or stain the fireplace. Then look for a fabric with blue, black, a neutral and possibly a red for your accent wall. If you can't find such a fabric, then start looking for one to tie in your green furniture. Who knows, you might find the perfect color combo that makes it all fall together.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue, black and neutral plaid

9 years ago

Would this print work with your green furniture?

Here is a link that might be useful: