Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_mcguire

Woo-Hoo!! The Country Living Fair is here!

Kathleen McGuire
15 years ago

Not even the rain could stop me from going to the Country Living Fair! Tent after tent chock full of inspiration! Tents decorated with dried corn stalks, berries and flowers, both real and dried, arranged into beautiful displays! They were willy nilly tucked into the tents keeping company with rustic twig furniture and a basket full of vintage glass door knobs! Rustic wood dough bowls piled with artichokes, pomegranites, kale and mini white pumpkins! A galvanized bucket brimmimg with kale white roses and green curly willow popping up through the middle! My friend and I were in orange poncho's, toting our red Radio Flyer wagon full of new inspiration! We stopped in at one vendor's tent, only to find these beautigul gilded pumpkins and gourds! It didn't take us long to whip out our wallets and purchase the gilding kit, giddy with excitment as we made our plans to create our own beautiful fall displays! What a beautiful day! Even if I do have mud between my toes! Happy Friday!

Here is the gilded gourds and pumpkins inspiration:

Comments (10)

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

That sounds perfectly charming & like so much fun. The pic you included is adorable. That little b&w cat is so cute standing next to those gilded pumpkins.

Where on earth was this? Were things for sale? Did you get anything? Have any more pics?

The rustic wood bowls brimming w/seasonal produce sound gorgeous. Personally, I can get very excited about beautiful produce!

Thanks for sharing your exciting day!

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here ya go! It surely put me in the mood for fall!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fair

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Ah, the Ohio Historical Center in Colombus. The setting looks perfect for the event. Lucky you, to live near enough to make a day of it!

Your link, btw, also advertises a "win $250,000 to pay off your mortgage sweepstakes!" I think I may enter!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I wish I lived nearby! I saw that in the Country living magazine. Have fun gilding gourds! Is that much different than gilding the lily? LOL can we see your project when you are finished?

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By all means cooper, I can't wait to get started!

• susan209
    15 years ago

The new Country Living Oct. Mag. I just received had the directions on how to do the gilded/gold leaf gourds...some beautiful pictures for sure. I too would love to live near Columbus to go to the show, I am swooning thinking about it.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Oh dear, kmcg85, just realized that birthday wishes were in order for you YESTERDAY! Please accept them today...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Sounds like you DID have a very nice one!

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stinky-gardener, thankyou! Yes, it was a nice day, despite the rain and we really did have fun at the fair! Today, I am finally back online! Columbus got hit hard with the high winds Sunday. A lot of people are still without power. We were lucky and only lost ours for 12 hours. Lots of tree damage. In any case, I did start my funkin and gourd purchases for my gilding project.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Oh kmcg I thought that was your door, I had to copy it. Is that the most elegant entrance ever?

I bet you had loads of fun. I love doing that kind of stuff, nothing like a country fair in the fall.

We have a fall festival here in my little town and while it is sweet and cute. It couldn't compare to a Country Living fair, lucky dog YOU.

Now I am all jazzed up over fall, thank you.

Happy Birthday....Jane

Is gilding hard and time consuming?

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No! The gilding process is fairly straight forward and we were told, easy! We'll see. The pumpkins and gourds used for display were 'Funkins' from Michaels. You could also use real ones. I bought the chocolate paint as the base paint. Next is a sticky ,glue like substance that gets painted on top of the base. THEN you place your sheets of gold ,copper or silver leaf onto the sticky surface, brush off the excess. Once the surface is covered, a toner, much like a glaze is painted on and wiped off to achieve the aged look. The finished product really is gorgeous! I bought the three different metal finishes as that is what they had done and it looked so nice! The possibilities are endless. It can be used on just about any surface, wood, plastic, metal, sheetrock, molding etc.