Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

A dating game--a bedroom/guestroom

palimpsest
11 years ago

This is a bedroom/guest room in a client's house. The furniture is 1970s, the artwork is a mixed bag chosen for personal preference, and dates from the 1960s to the late 80s or early 90s (The Tutankhamen collectibles are dated 1989 on the bottom). The curtains and headboard are later. The chair that goes in the corner under the Tut stuff was being cleaned when the pictures were taken, I haven't seen the fabric on this since the mid 1990s.

I don't know that I would spend more money on this room in any significant amount. Ideally, the carpet would be replaced, and I don't like the silk curvy lampshades much. One is deteriorating, so that is an excuse for new ones.

I would like to move the mirror up onto the wall instead of on the dresser. (It's very heavy and the client was concerned about that)

I think it also needs some kind of towel rack /valet, since it is a guest room. Other than that I think money would be better spent elsewhere in the house. It's old fashioned but I don't know if that is a bad thing, necessarily. What is your opinion?

Comments (52)

• teacats
    11 years ago

On each of our guest rooms (one is also used as the home office) we hung a full-length mirror on the back on the main bedroom door. Turned out to be an excellent move so that guests could dress, do hair/makeup etc. and leave the bathroom (only two bathrooms in this house) free ....

Perhaps you could add a couple of double-hooks on OR near the closet door? And a full-length mirror on the back of the main door?

Would the client add more hooks to the back of the bathroom door? Just a thought!

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I think that the room probably functions well. I agree that the mirror needs to be raised. I think the Renoir print (I'm not a fan of reproductions of well known art.) needs to go as does the airplane print (It doesn't seem to fit.) I can't see any of the other art well enough to comment.

As long as guest rooms are generally pleasant and have the necessary furnishings, I can't get too worked up about them. I'd rather spend the money on rooms we use reguarly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a towel rack for a guest room. For towels? My guest towels are in the guest bath. Can you elaborate?

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Guest room to use: Leave alone. It is fine.

Guest room to sell: Paint.--NO REASON to spend more money than paint.

• deegw
    11 years ago

As my kids would say, the room looks a bit "grandma." There's nothing really wrong with it but is does look a bit stale.

How about changing out the reproduction brass pulls on the dresser and side table?

On my monitor, the plaid throw is a little jarring. It appears that the blues in the throw and the blues in the gingham fight a bit. A new throw would be in inexpensive change.

The wall color is begging for some white crown. Is there any crown in the rest of the house?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess the question then, is what would you guess the age of the homeowner to be? And then the typical guests? Does that have an influence on how "old" the room can look?

I agree that the throw doesn't work, but I am not sure it really "belongs" there. It's one of those fleece tie-togethers, and her daughter made a bunch of different ones. There is a zebra one somewhere, too -- I think the comforters or throws move around after they are used and washed and such, I've seen several in there.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I can see that it's clean, in good condition, and serves its purpose. So the room doesn't need to be changed. It isn't my taste, though, so if it were my house I would change things around.

Does the client have a fixed budget to update several areas, and you are deciding how much of it to spend here? If that's the case then I'd shampoo the carpet and apply this room's share of the money to other improvements in the home. It's not BAD or worn out, so it doesn't need fixing.

But if the client has said, "I think it might be time to update this room, what do you think?" then I would agree and tease out her likes and dislikes.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I would guess the homeowner to be 60-something. Her guests could be of her age or the age of her adult children or of the age of her grandchildren. I think any age would be comfortable enough in the room as it is not too fussy and has plenty of good lamps. I'd still remove some of the decorative items so that there's a place to put one's book, laptop and glass/cup. Also, I have a personal dislike of a mirror across from a bed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Totally acceptable as a guest room. I think the walls are fine, and fairly au courant. Bw/ gingham is timeless, and the both the drapes and headboard are fine. The lamp on the dresser is nice, and the the left side end table is very nice. Do you need two end tables? Id ditch one. Id also ditch all of the art except over the bed and the renoir print. The chair fabric is very 80's cheap country inn to me, that fabric has to go.

I would re do the chair, and get a few more pillows and a throw.

And is this all just an elaborate ruse to see if anyone will ask about the "elephant" in the room. Is it me, or my monitor, or is that a very odd artifact bedside?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's actually a Mid-century "Mother and Child". It doesn't photograph well, I see.

There is a story behind the art. None of it was chosen for this room and it comes from various sources --a couple things come from the owner's girlhood room, there is something from her mother's bedroom, something that was from her father's office.

I think if there is a backstory the art can "not go" together. There will probably be more disparate pieces added over time, really. This was one of the rooms that led to the "how much personal resonance" question. There are things in the rest of the house that look more correct for the furnishings but have no real history at all, and I think that is okay, too. But in a bedroom especially, the art can be very personal I think. If relatives use the room the art will have some meaning to them as well. I think art chosen simply for its looks in a bedroom can read kind of "hotel".
    The Renoir has some personal meaning, or I think it could read too pat if it were by itself, for example.

I guess another question is do you go for "spa-like comfort" in a guest room, as seems to be a current trend, or do you think, a little worn, a little off can be a bit more comfortable?

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

As long as the room is clean, the bed is comfortable, there's a good reading lamp, and a place to put my stuff, I don't much care what the room where I'm a guest looks like. Most of my friends couldn't care less about decor and their guest rooms usually contain whatever furniture they have that's too good to throw away. I have learned to bring my own pillows, though.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

That should have said, "whatever leftover furniture..."

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

If I were staying there, I'd like more room on the nightstand. Can the one on the right be replaced with a larger piece? I would also put a little tray there for guests to put their jewelry. (this is a big hit in our house!).

As long as it's clean and mattress isn't a cast off that was moved there when the homeowner got a new one after using this one for 20 years, it will be fine. I'd also put really nice linens on the bed. Nothing says "welcome" like really nice smooth sheets vs old pilly ones.

And I'd want to make sure it doesn't smell stale in there. That's it. I'm not sure I wouldn't really care what art was on the walls as long as they weren't clown paintings.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I think the room is overall very nice. I don't mind the mirror where it is. It would be nice to have a full length mirror somewhere though but it's not a necessity. I agree the lamp shades need to go. Personally I really dislike the chair fabric and the hardware on the dresser but that's just me. All I would add is some hooks on the inside door for a robe, a little wall mount TV, a little water jug on a tray and a pretty little trash receptacle.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

What is that long flesh colored thing on the table to the right?

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Here's my quick take on this room:

~three geometric fabrics are 1 or 2 too many - I'd rather see one a floral or other design

~I'd move the oblong pillow from the bed to the chair and maybe lose the other 2 tiny pillows

~night tables are different heights - I find this jarring especially with lamps the same height

~I'd prefer to see lampshades the same color, not one cream and 2 white

~mirror needs to be raised and hung on the wall - a tall person would not likely be able to see themselves without bending down

~yard long art might look better over the bed as I think those 2 vertical prints look a bit skimpy there

~too much 'stuff' on the night tables - a box of tissues and a lamp is all that's needed in a guest room. Photos could be on the dresser. When staying in someone else's home I don't want to have to worry about knocking something off a side table in the middle of the night. Of course I'm the guest who rearranges breakable objects!

~nitpicking I know, but I'd move that dresser lamp and the blue and white vase in at least a few inches. Looks as if they are right at the edges of the dresser and an accident waiting to happen.

I like the color scheme and don't find this room too old fashioned or dated, especially for a guest room.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I also like the room overall. Someone probably said it, but I'd like the lamps the same height on each side of the bed. As half of a reader pair, they definitely should stay there, though. (I have forgotten to put whatever lamp I've appropriated from somewhere else in a host's house back.)

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Am I the only one that wonders what that upright flesh colored thing is on the side table???

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I find the wall color depressing but as a guest I could live with it for a few nights. Otherwise it's fine.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's the mid-century "Mother and Child" sculpture. It's actually wood and I can see that it doesn't photograph in a very flattering way.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I am cracking up about the "upright flesh colored thing". I didn't even see it but now that I have ... WOW, that's quite an amenity for guests ;)

Okay, okay, so it's a sculpture. But ... Let this be a reminder to all of us to be sure our artwork photographs accurately :)

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Ok, I see it's not just me, mtnrdredux saw it too. For a minute there Pal I though you were being a bit pixie to see if anyone would see the joke.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I think the room is totally fine for a guest room, but darn it, with the fact that I am sleep deprived, and the name of the thread a dating game, and that "flesh colored thing" I am laughing so hard I woke the baby.

Sorry Pal, but omg too funny!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Jterri,
    That was exactly what I thought. This is all a ruse to see just how long it will take us to ask about, ahem, one of the guest room amenities!

Anyway, I agree that art doesnt have to "go", as long as it has meaning and is a collection. I think the room needs more art or it has to be grouped better to read as a collection. Now, to me, it looks as though it was hung wherever there happened to be a nail.

As for the spa comment, yes, I strongly prefer bedrooms in very soft, monochromatic color palates. But that would be a total redo of this room, and i kind of like the gingham.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. My poor husband is on the floor with the physical therapy back rolly thing and I'm laughing my head off at Engineerchics comment about "guest amenities". Lol, Pal I think the tall flesh colored thing should be removed or provide batteries "as an amenity". Mtnetredux I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Now that we know it is Madonna and Child, I supposed we are doomed for our juvenile antics.

Pal, sorry, excuse us 5th-graders, and carry on with your inquiry. : )

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh, yes, you are right Mtnrdredux! Sorry Pal, and sorry to the bad representation of mother and child. Although, I did not think such things as a fifth grader... so sorry for my 50er juvenile behavior. Please proceed!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I am guessing the homeowner is 60'ish and the room looks very comfortable and cozy. I think a guest room is a great place for a mix like you are using. I like the gingham drapes and headboard, but not the royal blue plaid throw - the blues are clashing. Exactly what color is the headboard and drapes - charcoal, navy, or black - I can't tell in the pictures. Not liking the fabric on the chair either, but sometimes you have to use what you have.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The homeowner is 56. This is not in a particularly urban area so there is still a lot of country-hokey decor to be found in other houses around the area, which still exerts an influence.

The chair is rather surprising because of the wallcolor. It looks completely different in the room because it sits against the dark blue grey.

There is a story behind the existing wallcolor.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I'm 57 and the only thing I like is the dark wood end table and the lamp on the dresser. Put that lamp on the end table and get rid of the kid furniture. Purchase a real headboard. Edit the accessories that were placed in there only because they had some blue in them.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i agree that the room would be fine as is for guests... if she has a limited budget, have her spend it where she would most enjoy it!

for guests, i would be most concerned with having comfortable PILLOWS!! ( i really need comfortable pillows when i sleep- doesn't look as if she has those??)

i agree that the mirror is way too low- i'm fairly tall and would really have to be bending over to do my hair or makeup...

looks like the shade is a blackout one- that would definitely be appreciated by guests! i also think a hook/s on the closet door for robe/towels would be enough if there isn't a private guest bathroom...

• camlan
    11 years ago

Could the mirror be rotated 90 degrees so that it stands on the short end? Right now, an average height adult couldn't see their face in it. I find non-functional things pretty frustrating.

The room itself has a lot of more or less timeless elements. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but it's clean, there's a coherent color scheme so that it doesn't look as if it is completely composed of all the reject furniture in the house, and it looks comfortable. It has bedside lamps--that's key for me. Nothing like stumbling to bed in the dark in an unfamiliar room because you have to turn all the lights off with a switch on the opposite side of the room. As long as all the drawers and closet aren't stuffed with the owner's clothes, it looks welcoming to me.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a "real" headboard, it's upholstered and actually more comfortable than a lot of more modern headboards for someone who reads in bed.
    There is no guest bathroom, which is why I think there should be something in the room.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking that I would see if the mirror could be hung lengthwise where the Renoir print is and put the Renoir over the dresser.

I could feel a couple of hooks on the back to hang it horizontally but I don't know if there are pre-installed hooks to hang it vertically. I could probably move them with the right tools. I was thinking of switching the mirror out for a non-matching one from somewhere else in the house, but the mirror looks bedroomy so it wouldn't go in a lot of other places in the house either.

The white dresser and nightstand was part of a master bedroom set. The woman who it belonged to was probably about 85 (there were pictures that had fallen behind the drawers when the homeowner bought it). If you look at this furniture in the vintage catalogs and ads that appear on eBay it was put in kid's rooms and in adult's rooms. It is a part of custom room plan and it's identical to the stuff I had (but in a stained finish) that I have in my bedroom--which I moved into when I was seven.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Aesthetically, it's fine. I wouldn't even call it dated, since it is not a monument to a particular era, unlike many current rooms that look like tear sheets from this season's PB or RH catalogs.

As far as "worn" goes: Well-loved is one thing, but worn out is another. Many guest rooms are just junk piles, and it's no fun sleeping in a junk pile. This room isn't that, but I wouldn't like to stay in a room where every single object clearly needs replacing.

One element that might bug me is the photograph display, depending on who is pictured, and who is visiting. Nothing says to a guest, "This is my home and not yours" like photos of somebody else's family. We change out the photos depending on which side of the family is visiting. Seeing your own relatives is very welcoming, but having strangers stare at you in your bedroom is not.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Raise the mirror, unify the art (framing & placement), simplify the drawer pulls, update & neutralize chair upholstry, and leave well enough alone. I like the wall color, bedding, drapery & don't mind the carpet. Crown molding isn't necessary. Laptop/cell phone charging space & towel/valet is a great idea.

And I don't think it looks THAT country-hokey :)

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

I agree with your suggestions. The first thing that caught my eye was the clashing fabric of the chair. I'd have it reupholstered. I'd also remove the throw from the bed as it doesn't coordinate well. Overall, it is a nice guest room.

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

* Pretty room color.
    * The pillow shams look too small in scale to my eye.
    * I'd like one larger (horizontal) print over the bed to replace the two. Another piece of art...maybe the print over the mirror, bulked up with a wider frame.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should comment about the art, in general, and in response to a couple of suggestions about reframing.

I agree that it needs to be juggled a bit and more added, but I wouldn't reframe anything or suggest buying "something" to fill in. The additional art will have to come from somewhere other than the framed art store.

Everything in the room, no matter it's age is in perfect condition (except for one area of the wing chair upholstery, which has a decent repair). The fabric on the chair such as it is, is high quality, and there isn't $400+ to reupholster it. The mattress is almost brand new.

The art is all very well framed. The sterling/copper/gold pieces over the bed are matted in double silk mats with non-mitered frames--the edges of the frames are radiused. Even the metal frames are well done. The only cheap frame is on the university print because it was bought that way but the rest is custom. One of the pieces has instructions on the back about how to disassemble the piece should it need to be reframed. It would cost $1000 to reframe it all to have related frames.

The art, and lamps (which are also really good quality) have ended up in here, because it all is a bit formal, and or scattered too far in subject to be put in the rest of the house. There are a lot of super cheap prints in cheap frames with things kinda stapled together in the rest of the house, and most of the lamps are those Target types with the shade that shoves on the plastic socket instead of a proper harp. I am not saying this to be critical, it's just how it is.

My comment about country-hokey was base on that I think there is a bit of that influence here not that it is all out country hokey. If you look at the real estate in this price point where the client lives, it is full of pictures of wallpaper, elaborate borders in painted rooms, and things like tiered curtains with ruffles or valances that come to a series of points--and lots of oak dining sets with chair pads. Very 1983-1993.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

There's so much blue that I want to add white. You mentioned not wanting to add crown molding, but it would make a big difference. We added it to our guest bedroom for little cost and effort.

She could bring in white with the curtains too. They're cute but they don't look great with the paint. White curtains would have been better, or a large scale blue and white check that coordinates with the tiny check of the headboard.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I'm still giggling over the flesh colored thing, but moving on, ahem. I'm over 60 and I do think it looks country, but not so hokey-ish. DH and I are tall and my first comment is to get that mirror higher and make sure the bed is comfortable for 2 people. It may be queen size but it looks small to me. I'd have to sit on the bed to use that mirror. I agree some crown molding would do wonders for that room. And solid white drapery would be better than the check curtains. I think there is too much plaid in there already and the pattern on the chair doesn't help. Not crazy about any of the art on the walls either but if it's some things the owner likes then it could stay. Someone else also mentioned the lack of space to put things on surfaces. The room does seem to lack that, especially on the end tables. Maybe they are just too cluttered, but the white table is very small.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually someone was using the room when I took the pictures, so the books on the small table are theirs and they moved the Kleenex there from the dresser. And their toiletries bag is that black watch thing on the dresser. They put the throw on the bed.

I am totally against crown molding in individual rooms. Either the entire house has it top to bottom (excepting the bathrooms maybe), or nothing has it. Crown molding is architecture and it should be consistent from room to room, not piecemeal. The first thing I do when I walk into a clients house and see trim that is different designs in different rooms is suppress a desire to get out a crow bar and start taking it down. Crown molding is an all or nothing proposition in my design handbook. I agree it will be appropriate in a house like this, but unless she ponies up enough to do the entire house, it stays naked.

I find the comments about the art interesting because (again this thread stemmed from thoughts about this room) in the "How much personal resonance?" thread, the Vast Majority of people said that they buy art for it's meaning and that they do Not buy it just to GO with the room, and here most people are criticizing the art, because it is All pieces that have some personal connection to either the homeowner or the guests who frequent the room. So either a lot of people don't practice what they preach or it is a completely different subset of people who answered each thread.

Like I said, I think the art needs to be juggled around a bit and maybe more added but I wouldn't really ask someone to take something out that they had a connection to, whether it went with the scheme or not.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Now that I've lost half a glass of wine (through my nose) b/c of the "juvenile antics" above...I'll give my 2 cents.

I like the room. I'm in my mid 30's and I would be quite pleased to stay there. Looks like a room that one could be immediately comfortable in. Gingham makes me happy and I really like that the art has meaning. The airplane could be an especially important piece as the homeowner may have had a family member connected that particular aircraft. My FIL has photos and prints of the planes he worked on and I would love to have them one day in my home (preferably in a guest room or office). I agree that shifting the art around to better locations will improve their appearance.

The chair could use a slipcover as that fabric is not great.

I do like the plaid, even with the gingham. It looks totally unintentional, but cozy. I think some larger floral throw pillows would be interesting for the bed.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

It's not my taste, but I would enjoy staying in that room since it is maintained and cozy. The only thing I would definitely change is the plaid throw. I know you said it gets moved around . . .a solid throw in a soft color would improve it tremendously in my eyes. As mentioned above, a few new pillows wouldn't hurt, either.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Forgot to agree that a towel rack would be wonderful. I had a quilt rack in my last quest room for towels and it was perfect. Especially when we only had two bathrooms and the kid's/guest bath was very small.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I agree. I like the pattern on the headboard and drapes, but not the throw.

Overall, I like the room. It seems clean and not cluttered, which is important for a guest.

I like the idea of a mirror the back of the door.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Pal, from my perspective anyway, I think the art itself, without being in this particular room, just doesn't go together. You have the airplane picture in this room and it's ok, but with the Renoir print, the Madonna and Child and the lamps it muddies it up. Or put the Renoir and not the airplane. But the combination of prints just doesn't look right to me. That's what I meant anyway and probably said it badly. What I was trying to say with my comment about art 'going with a room' was that the art should at least reflect the personality of the room and owner without necessarily matching everything. We all have special pieces or keepsake items that we try to work in I think. It just takes a little work and effort to put it together in the right way.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Pal, from my perspective anyway, I think the art itself, without being in this particular room, just doesn't go together. You have the airplane picture in this room and it's ok, but with the Renoir print, the Madonna and Child and the lamps it muddies it up. Or put the Renoir and not the airplane. But the combination of prints just doesn't look right to me. That's what I meant anyway and probably said it badly. What I was trying to say with my comment about art 'going with a room' was that the art should at least reflect the personality of the room and owner without necessarily matching everything. We all have special pieces or keepsake items that we try to work in I think. It just takes a little work and effort to put it together in the right way.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do think the airplane print is the odd man out. The airplane print and the Renoir are both particular favorites of one of the room's main users though, and that is why they are both there right now. There is a large landing (room sized) outside this room that we are planning to outfit as a separate seating/TV area for guests (one in particular) and I think the airplane print could move out there when that area is done. There are other related airplane prints that could keep it company. The homeowner's father was a navigator in the service, so planes and celestial navigation figure in his visual interests --as well as the French Impressionists, and 18th and 19th century Japanese prints and other Japonisme... So you can see there is a complexity of interests that would never fully mesh in one or two rooms in a "decorator-y" way.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture with the lights off that has been cropped a bit, and you can see that it looks more like a statue.

It also gets rid of the distracting larger-plaid throw, which I think helps. There's a throw pillow missing...there is actually the "space" for it and it's not there. Hmm.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I like it a lot without the throw in view . . .would love a POP of color (ha, ha, ha . . .needed to sound HGTV there) with one or two more pillows.

Did someone already suggest placing the pictures a little further apart over the bed? I feel like they are a sort of huddled together. Or, one more would work, too!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County