Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baby brother's first home...help

Posted by susan123_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 15:05

So he just bought his first home. Great deal but needs a lot of work, roof, electric, plumbing. Not a lot of money left for decorating.

I've put two coats of Killz on the LR/DR/Kit. House hadn't been painted in years and they were obviously smokers.

His furniture is typical young guy furniture: chair, loveseat, couch, all the same color: mushroom-ish. Dark brown carpet which is staying for now.

DR has good light; LR and Kit not so great. Any suggestions on paint colors? I have Kilim Beige in my basement and love it. Was thinking that might work as a "whole house" color, but it doesn't seem to be working with that "mushroom" color.
Suggestions, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baby brother's first home...help

To make a mushroomy color work, I like to use a good light, but not babyish, blue.

Look at Crystalline and Tranquillity (B. Moore Affinity group), which have a bit of gray-green in them.

Restoration Hardware's Atmosphere Blue is a cooler blue, and can look quite sophisticated with brown and mushroom.

If you like the blue idea, and if the kitchen cabinets aren't too dark, you might like to paint the kitchen a dark, rich blue, since it gets good light. Something with similar undertones can work in such a scheme... if you liked Atmosphere Blue, you could consider their Dusk, which is a rich marine blue. With the Affiinity shades, Providence Blue or Water's Edge could be a partner.

o

I would think about a light grey, I think that would add a little contrast to the room and grey is definitely a guy's guy kind of color!

o

Look at SW kerstal white.

Looks very light but actually has a lot of color in it. It looks good with both tans and grays.

o

Thanks for your all suggestions. I hadn't even thought about blue tones... I love blue and brown together. Don't know that I'd be able to sell my brother on it, though.
I'm off to the store to pick up paint samples this morning and some poster board so that I can try several paints in different areas to see how they react to the different light in the home.
And this is just the beginning!!

o

The color of the year, Whythe blue. He would love it. It's Benjamin Moore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here