Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdsso

living room update

15 years ago

Squirrelheaven and I have been e mailing each other regarding my living room and I want you to see what we have done so far. I could not have done this without her help. I replaced the furniture and with her help found a tapestry to hang on the wall. I am still looking for a new rug and I am undecided if I need anything else on my wall other than the tapestry. I love the stars and the window so may put those back up.

This is where we started:

This is where we are now:

The wall with the stars and a solid rug and my old furniture:

This is one of the rugs I like but could still use help maybe finding a rug.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=57088&CatID=57985&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=149ac9d&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=57088%7c57324%7c57985&CmCatId=57088%7C57324%7C57985

I also feel I am a little brown and tan and could use a pop of color so if you all see something you think I need feel free to suggest.

Again my deepest gratitude to squirrel.

Comments (29)

• 15 years ago

Incredible.........love it !!!!!! Everything blends well.

Kim

• 15 years ago

It looks beautiful. Personally, I don't think you need the window or stars, as the tapestry is so beautiful on its own.

• 15 years ago

I love it! It went from mishmash to really put together. I'm with wodka on leaving out the stars/window. I think adding them will send it back to mishmash - they just don't go with what you have going on now. Once again squirrel's efforts pay off grandly. She's helped me countless times as well. Yay squirrel!

• 15 years ago

With the changes it looks great. I'm in agreement with wodka and budge1 about the stars and window not being put back up. It looks elegant and well thought out this way, putting them back up would ruin the nice lines and texture that the room has in it's rebirth. Squirrel's suggestions have really transformed this room.

• 15 years ago

don't do the stars and window thing. It will be really cluttered.

Love the tapestry. Where did you find it??

• 15 years ago

Thanks, do I did more color anywhere like a bigger rug. pillows, accessories or should I leave well enough alone??

• 15 years ago

dgmarie, bought the tapestry on ebay. Here is one like it, I can't remember who I got mine from but did not pay much more than this. There are probably more on ebay i typed in provence tapestry and this was the first one that came up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Provence-Wall-Hanging-Tapestry-With-Free-Rod-Decor_W0QQitemZ380060827770QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380060827770&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• 15 years ago

That is one great collaboration! Nice looking room.

Red

• 15 years ago

Nope, I'd leave it. Usually I'm all for bigger rugs, but I think the one you have is just fine. The only thing I'd change is to move the vase of grasses behind the sofa to the right hand corner, but it looks like you may have a door there. If you don't use the door I'd put the grasses or something similar there.

• 15 years ago

I'd leave it, very nice result! :)

Susan

• 15 years ago

Wow! Until you added the tapestry, I never even saw the candles behind the sofa; I guess there was too much else going on back there. They look great in front of the tapestry. And I agree, don't add the window & stars back.

• 15 years ago

rdsso, the tapestry looks fantabulous! and I love your sofa selection and color. Things have taken quite the sophisticated turn, so I'd leave out the country things, also, and continue in the more elegant European feel you've got going now.

That tapestry someone posted for another person's room was a lucky roll comin' your way!

• 15 years ago

Excellent results and a very charming room!!!

-- and I add my vote to keep things elegant and simple -- no stars and window!

• 15 years ago

I wonder if you could get an uplight for behind your sofa, on the table, to highlight the tapestry and bring more of the reds, golds, and blues out.

• 15 years ago

I think you could get a different (bigger) rug for the room. One more vote for not rehanging the stars and window. It looks wonderfully elegant the way it is now.

• 15 years ago

One pot of greenery moved - not sure I like the pot it is in, and one up light in place. Now for the rug - Cind11 any suggestions? I am thinking new rug maybe too.

• 15 years ago

Ha! Not much of an uplight going on, lol. Well, we can see some more color on that spot : ) I wonder if there's one that kind of fans the light upward. What type of light is this one? Maybe there needs to be more distance from what's being illuminated, as in from the floor up. You definitely need some more lighting in there, other than the one small lamp.

I'd try pulling the rug out some, also. Away from the sofa so there's a bit of carpet between, and a bit over towards the rocker so it's more centered in front of the sofa. Maybe the one rocker leg would end up sitting on the rug.

• 15 years ago

So pretty! Nice work!

What's the wall color? I like it!

• 15 years ago

Walkin - the wall color is laura ashley khaki

Squirrel, I had the rug towards the rocking chair but I thought it looked off center. I think I need a bigger rug maybe. The uplight is one of those can type lights I had in my closet. Maybe we need another lamp??

• 15 years ago

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a new rug. But I do like the size of the rug in the photo shopped version. You say moving the rug towards the rocking chair made it look off center? Looking at the picture, the coffee table doesn't look centered on the rug. I do wonder if moving the rug out a bit might make it look bigger and not so "scrunched".

• 15 years ago

I think the coffee table does not look centered because my sectional curves out on the right side of the pic and it is hard to get the coffee table in the right spot, is there a right distance to put the coffee table from your sofa so you can easily walk around it but still be able to use it for drinks, etc? When the rug was moved to the left I thought it made the chaise look funny. I will try moving it out and over and take some pics and get opinions again. I will try and do that tonight when I get home from work.

• 15 years ago

I'm not sure if this would make that much difference, but what if you swapped places with the brown recliner and the rocker? As nice as it all looks, the recliner's size could be taking away some of the chaise's appeal, if that makes sense? Just a thought.

• 15 years ago

love it! I really like the candle holders behind the couch. The room looks so inviting and warm

• 15 years ago

Moved the rug out and move the recliner over like suggested, I think that looks too crowded that recliner is pretty big.

Does the rug look better moved out a ways?
    Any other suggestions?

The recliner over on the other side:

The rocker at the end of the chaise:

The room with the rug moved out and down like suggested

• 15 years ago

Small viewing window, but I like the rug moved out and a lighter, open chair on the right. The three upholstered pieces together, in pic 1, is just too much stuffing :) I find the large, dark recliner on the right to be heavy and oppressive, maybe because it's so close to the sofa and overlaps it a bit.

Is the coffee table close enough to the sofa for easy access with food and such?

• 15 years ago

squirrel: You've done it again, very nice result.

I agree with the others to keep out the stars and windows. I know it's hard sometimes to take things down that we like. I had to do it as well in my LR.

I like the version with the leather chair near the sofa as the colors all work well together. Try putting the small geometric pillow on the recliner.

I do like your rug. Have you tried running it the other direction? Can you use in the DR? It's so hard to pick a nice rug and if you have a pretty one like that, think 10 times before getting rid of it

• 15 years ago

squirrel, I agree - the brown recliner looks better where it was. All of the furniture is beautiful, but, just to me, perhaps, it seems like there's too much in there. It looks like it might be hard to walk around, but it could be just the angle of the camera. Still, a beautiful, warm room.

• 15 years ago

rdsso, btw, when I said 'lighter' I meant in weight not color : )

• 15 years ago

Well I like the lighter rocker over on the right hand side -- I do like the plant on the right-hand side -- but maybe in a darker container or pot?

REALLY wonderful cozy room! Well done! :)

Jan