Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Help! Washed ORB accessories. Problems!

bbstx
11 years ago

I had a set of ORB bathroom accessories pushed to the back of the closet. DD wants to use them. I washed them in a sink of hot soapy water. Now they all appear to have a white coating on them. They were not expensive, just some things I picked up from TJ Maxx several years ago. Any ideas on a quick, cheap repair? (Right now they are sitting on the porch in the sun. If it is water under some sort of coating, maybe the sun will dry it out.)

Comments (11)

• pattyxlynn
    11 years ago

I don't know how to help you, but probably better that it was discovered this way than installed and then had the problem when coming in contact with hot water and soap. Good luck!

• les917
    11 years ago

I am wondering if they had some kind of sealer coat on them, and the moisture got under that when you put them in the hot water. Often with decorative accessories they warn not to immerse, but rather to wipe with a damp cloth to clean.

How long have they been drying? You might give them some time, and perhaps a boost with warm (not hot) air from a hair dryer, and see what happens.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, the longer they sit in the sun, the worse they look. I, too, am suspecting a sealer coat. It is probably 100 degrees on my west-facing porch.

A wipe down with a damp cloth would have been sufficient, but, no, I had to go the extra step and wash them.

If they were worth it, I'm sure I could strip the sealer coat off...but it would be cheaper and less frustration for me to just buy a new set.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I would paint them with ORB spray paint. I have used ORB spray paint on several things and it works great.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I would paint them with ORB spray paint. I have used ORB spray paint on several things and it works great.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of the coating is peeling off. I've washed one item with the scrubby side of a blue Scotch bright sponge and it appears to have removed the coating which is the white part. I may have a can of hammered bronze paint in the closet. If I can get all of the peeling stuff off, I'll give them a coat of paint.

What do y'all think would happen if I put them in the dishwasher? Do you think it would remove the coating? (I would not have anything else in the DW.)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

The dishwasher may take off some of it, but won't remove the coating well enough. And you would be left with specks of the paint in the dishwasher. Medium grade steel wool perhaps?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

What I did with door knobs once was boil them in a pot with salt.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried using a Mr. Eraser sponge on the bottom of the toothbrush holder. It left it dulled, so I think that medium grade steel wool may do the same.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Try vinegar in an tiny spot....