Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Please help with curtain selection

gardenwebber
15 years ago

I thought I had decided on my curtains for our FR (which we are entirely remodeling with new paint, new carpet) and I even posted a thread last week about picking a color to go with my curtain choices, but suddenly today I am doubting my choices. Here is a pic:

{{!gwi}}

The drapes are lined pinch pleats in "cranberry" and the lace panels are the color "linen" which is a step darker than ivory and a bit more tan. (I didn't know the colors last week and was describing them as burgandy/rust, but I actually found the names of the colors in my catalog this weekend. They are a bit irredescent and take on different shades depending on the light in the room).

Anyways, these are curtains I've had for awhile and tucked them away and switched to valances and blinds for a couple years, and now since we are remodeling I decided to bring them back into my space. I really like them, and will need to order another set of these to treat another window that is new to our FR space, so before I spend the money, I want to be sure this is the right choice.

So what is my question? I guess my question is, is the lace too much for the FR? Paired up with the irredescent pinch pleats, does it clash?

Will they function well? I plan on hanging the pinches on rings and then the lace panels on rods behind that so I can let in the light during the day, but keep a bit of privacy.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (4)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I've included a link to your previous post.

What you never mentioned (unless I missed it) was what your furniture is like. That would make a big difference.

Would your budget allow different window treatment?

When we see more of what you have to work with, we will be better able to answer your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: OP

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Parm! Our furniture is green, almost an olive color, but more green than olive. It has tan piping around it, round wooden feet. We have a couch/loveseat/chair to match.

Here is a pic of the chair (excuse the surrounding mess!)

{{!gwi}}

I am open to suggestions on different window treatments, but I would have to proceed with caution financially. The drapes were custom lengths, so they were a bit pricey. I have to buy another set of the drapes/panels anyways, so I could just put that money towards something else. I might even be able to use the lace panels in my DR. (a whole 'nother topic!)

Also, regarding the windows, for what its worth... There are three windows, all different styles/sizes. Here is a rough diagram I made to show the sizes/proportions:

{{!gwi}}

The casement style faces our backyard, the old single hung faces front of house. The double hung is on the side of our house and faces our neighbors.

I really appreciate everyones help. We are remodeling our whole downstairs and its hard to pull everything together. I am feeling overwhelmed. It all started with our kitchen renovation, and now everything else looks awful next to it (old, dated, etc)

I want to get this as close to "right" as I can so I exhale and relax after its done!

Thanks again.

• parma42
    15 years ago

OK, your drapes are custom so if you're on a budget, you wouldn't want to ditch those. Did you get custom because of the size? If so, wouldn't the sheers have to be custom if you replaced them? $$$

They do seem better suited to a dining room and you're furniture is casual, but you could use them.

Now that I've seen your furniture, it seems a bit "cool" also (I know you hate that word), lol. I don't think a gold would work in your area. I'd pick the carpet that goes the best when you have it next to the sofa, drapes and lace, then repost and ask for help with a neutral/cool paint color.

I'm of more help when it's warmer as that's what I do. The warmest I'd go, looking at the whole picture now, is the Powell Buff.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, my lace panels worked out fine lengthwise right "off the shelf." They had a 72" length available but my drapes only came in 63" then jumped to 84". I think I had them hemmed to 74".

So, no one thinks the lace and drapes clash - like, too much shimmer/texture type of thing?

Thanks for the added color advice - today, as a matter of fact, I was looking at my chip of powell buff and liking it with the lace/drapes/furniture. We already ordered the carpet and I tried to pick the most neutral one out of all of them. It seems to be right in the middle of cool/warm, so I am crossing my fingers that it will work.

One more curtain question: On my shorter window (the casement style) I would get the same length curtains as the other two, correct? The sill of that casement window is about 2' further from the floor than my other two windows.

I would take some more suggestions on "cool" colors for the walls, too. Perhaps something a little darker than the Powell Buff?

Parma - thank you SO SO much for all of your help! (just in case you don't weigh in anymore on my troubles, I wanted to make sure I thanked you for what you've said so far)