Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Well it only took 3 years, but I finally finished the great room

pps7
10 years ago

3 years ago, I joined this board when we moved into our new home. The biggest challenge has been decorating my great room since it's all one big open space. I've linked the original thread below.

My sitter asked me what style would I call my home and I said "eclectic" which seems like a cop out to me so if you have a more precise definition, I'd love to hear it.

Here's the update:

I finally listened to magnaverde's advice and installed window treatments:

View from front foyer:

This end wall remains a challenge, but I think I'm going to do a gallery wall. I just need to find the right pieces of art which will take some time to accumulate.

The dining room and kitchen have been done for a while and I've posted pics before:

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with before pictures

Comments (26)

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Really gorgeous! Love the kathakali face art and the throws on the ladder. The colors somehow work really well together - that fab royal blue wing chair and the beige of the sofa and the oranges in the lamp shade, the woods all work really well. Nicely curated eclectic look :)

• alex9179
    10 years ago

There you go! Your style is "curated".

Really nice. I keep looking around because there is always something interesting to note. Nice job showcasing your art and textiles. I'd hang out in there all day!

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Oh! I just love it! It's *done*, but it has room to grow - or not - and still be lovely.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

You have done a very nice job. Love the room.
    Diane

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nicely done. So glad you added the drapes...I really like the fabric on them, and the blue chair.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

That looks so pretty! I do love your window treatments and that beautiful blue chair!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

What a beautiful and interesting, comfortable home you have. I love that it is very personalized and not overly "decorated", nor does any of it look like a catalog room. The empty frame above the fabric (saris?) ladder is a great touch. That wall will look wonderful with your gallery, but it's still nice as is.

And that chair! The room could be empty of other interesting things and I'd never tire of looking at it.

• magnaverde
    10 years ago

Don't worry about it, PPS7. All that extra time allowed you to come up with just the right design for your room. Haste makes waste, as all the people who (after watching a certain TV network a decade ago) were in such a hurry to glue paper bags to their Sheetrock walls that they didn't take the time to seal the surface first will now tell you. Decorate in haste, repent at leisure. You didn't do that. You took your sweet time and you did good. Congratulations.

The visual weight of the curtains' pattern works much better with the texture & color of the fireplace stone than a solid fabric would have, and I like the way you've echoed the fabric's design in the rug across the way.

As far as the part about thinking you need a label for your room goes, don't bother. When there were only a dozen or so decorating styles in common use, labels were useful--especially in the days before we could share photos as easily as we can today, and when people had to rely on words if they wanted to describe things.

Today, it's different. A hundred years ago, the word 'eclectic' (when applied to a room's decor) conjured up a look that was just as clear as the terms Louis XVI or Gothic, but after a century of use & misuse, "eclectic"'s usefulness as a term to describe a specific style is long past: these days, it's the decorating equivalent of "None of the above": that is, It doesn't really say anything useful. So don't sweat it if there isn't really a label to describe your room. All that matters is whether a room functions well & looks good. And, most of all, whether it makes its owner happy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It looks like it took forever.

And by that I mean my highest compliments !
    It looks truly collected, that holy grail of decor. Brava

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

It looks "finished" but not too done, if that makes sense! And, echoing some of the other posters, you can add to it, or not, and it will remain a lovely room!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Love it. All of it.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

It looks like a home. I really like how all the patterns work together. Mostly I super covet your blue chair. Great job!

Beth P.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

PPS, what a stunning room. I love the character and charm you imparted to your space. The beautiful royal blue chair is smashing!

You have helped me immeasureably with your post. My living room furniture is getting rather shabby and I am planning to redecorate. Your post has made me realize why I haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger on new furniture. Because of you I am going to move my library furniture into my living room so I can take my time selecting pieces I love instead of buying just to replace. Everything just seemed too contrived to me so I am going to take it a piece at a time starting with my sofa.Ty, ty, ty for making me see where I was going wrong.

• User
    10 years ago

Have loved all of your home since your first post. Very nicely and comfortably "done" .c

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Nice! Looks like a home; lived in, comfortable and not contrived-as if you added things you loved as they happened along. Love the curtains!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Let me be the next to echo what everybody else is saying.

I could hang out in that room, I could laugh with friends over glass of wine in that room, I could curl up with my husband and watch a movie in that room. I don't have a son, but if I did, I could watch him play guitar in that room. You have put together a nice comfortable room which is lovely.
    I love lots of the things, but I covet that royal blue chair and am now searching for similar drapes for my own house.

Very nice! I am sure you are enjoying your lovely space

• loribee
    10 years ago

Absolutely LOVE it--- esp. the drapes!
    Enjoy!!

• User
    10 years ago

A question about the drapes. Did you have them custom made ? How long are they ? If you purchased them already made can you tell me where ? Oh and what colors are they ? TIA....c

• User
    10 years ago

A question about the drapes. Did you have them custom made ? How long are they ? If you purchased them already made can you tell me where ? Oh and what colors are they ? TIA....c

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love how your drapes echo the pattern in your rug!

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

I'm drooling. Love your style!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I love everything you've done! Beautiful, it all appeals to me very much. I absolutely love the stone color of the fireplace, mixed with your other colors.

Thank you for sharing, and thank you for getting Magnaverde to post! I was just thinking how much I miss your posts around the decor boards, Mr. Mags, what a treat to see you here.

Well done, both of you!

This post was edited by Miz_M on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:57

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

It's really, really well done. You have a great eye and patience, which is so critical in the creation of a beautiful room. The blue velvet chair - fabulous!

• pps7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words. No space is ever truly done but I'm going to try to enjoy it for a while before adding a few finishing touches. Magnaverde, what a pleasant surprise. I'm so happy you stopped by to see the pictures.

Trailrunner, the drapes are custom. They were true budget killers LOL! I was proud of myself bc the room was done with mostly moderately priced items with some budget pieces mixed in but that all ended with the drapes. They are the most expensive thing in the room. I had never done custom drapes and boy did I have sticker shock.

The fabric is really pretty. It's a Schumacher, mendhi. Here is a close up. It has slate blues, green, ochre. And the really large repeat sealed the deal. They are 116" tall.

When I joined the board, someone introduced me to Sarah Richardson. That completely changed my approach to decorating. I had never incorporated vintage pieces into my décor before. Plus, she mixes fabrics and patterns so well. I didn't have the guts to be as bold, but I tried!

Here are a few of the vintage pieces that really makes it feel homey to me. Plus these items are inexpensive and therefore budget savers.

empty frame, apple picking ladder

Pair of mahoghany side tables with marbe tops.

Brass candlesticks found on etsy ($10!)

mtnrdredux, the rug is from overstock. I love Madeleine Weinrib rugs-maybe someday!

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you for the great close up of your details ! I love the pieces you have put together..those little tables are wonderful...really.

I did custom drapes at our other home on standard size windows....they were gorgeous still when we moved and that was 11 yrs ago and they were older then...they were really really expensive back then...I can only imagine what they would be now LOL ! And I too would need 10 ft tall as I have 12 ft ceilings with 6 ft tall windows...never ever going to happen....I shall just save your pictures :) Lovely lovely home. c

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Great job! Beautiful rooms! Lovely home!