Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need urgent help with paint colors

Posted by tansunny (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 14:46

I am going to list my home as a rental. Currently two rooms have kinda wacky paint colors. Looking to go neutralish. Its a 1950's ranch.

1) 5x8 bathroom. Very simple..small window, toilet, bathtub, tiny vanity. Original 1950's turquoise/teal tile on the floor and halfway up the wall. Original vanity with a light grey counter.

Currently is painted with teal and blue vertical stripes. I don't think this helps it much. I was thinking of a "sand" color, but I think the counter top throws that off. Soo..like a dove grey??

2) kitchen. like 10 x 10. not a lot of natural light. One rather large wall. The "kitchen" is connected to the landing which has stairs and a TINY bathroom associated. They share the same flooring and for purposes of paint, I think it would be best to have the same color in the kitchen and down the stairs minimum....The floor is a light grey linoleuom. The counters are a light/medium grey Formica. The cabinets are oak (no time to paint these)....I am thinking that of a some sort of greyish beige or taupe??? I could do white, but honestly, one wall is already stark white and it feels like a hospital to me. (Some of the smaller walls are Easter egg blue which was a horrible experiment).

Any specific color suggestions? Looking at Benjamin Moore, Behr, & Sherwin Williams.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need urgent help with paint colors

Here's what I'd do.

Bright clean white trim, and on the walls, pale warm cream everywhere - gray will make the turquoise look garish, while the cream will work with both that, the gray counter, the gray linoleum, and the oak.

Tying the whole thing together with one pretty shade will make it seem larger, and more welcoming and fresh.

B. Moore's Decorator's White is hard to beat for a good trim white.

In Benjamin Moore paints, look at Linen White, Mayonnaise, and Windham Cream, for starters.

If you have access to Pratt & Lambert, try their Swiss Coffee, Seed Pearl, Puffball, and Downy Gray, which isn't gray at all.

Martin Senour has a very pretty Linen White as well, and from Sherwin Williams, there's Honied White (which drives me nuts, because it ought to be spelled "Honeyed!"), French Vanilla, and Dollop of Cream.

Is that enough to drive you right round the bend..?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here