Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbtexan

Making my own sofa table

Silvey Marshall
9 years ago

I've got a glass shelf that I might be able to use as the top of a sofa table to put behind my loveseat. I plan to place two lamps on it. Does someone have a suggestion for creating a table? If I use pedestals, where would be a good place to look?

By the way, I saw this glass-top sofa table on Houzz. Sorry I can't download the photo as Houzz does not permit that.
https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-areas-traditional-living-room-dallas-phvw-vp~1557828-Areas-traditional-living-room-dallas

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is the sofa in front of a wall? If so, you can use brackets to hold the glass shelf. Have to look into how to attach the glass shelf to the brackets.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

A local metal shop would be one source that could create a table for your glass to fit onto.

You could use fence posts or stair newel posts as legs if your glass is heavy enough to hold them steady. If not, a piece of plywood could be nailed to them if you planned to use a cover like in the picture you referenced. If you wanted it to remain uncovered, a local wood worker could create a base for you.

Look on CraigsList, in local thrift stores or at yard sales for a base that you could refinish (or not).

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Maybe it is "duh" for me to say this, but it appears that a table is jus slipcovered and a piece of glass was cut to fit on top of it. As Fun2BHere state, I recommend measuring your piece of glass and then try to find a table the correct height to put the glass on it. There are usually many sofa tables at thrift shops, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. Could try furniture consiognment shoops, too.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I agree with walnutcreek, you could use just about anything including boxes if you're just covering it with fabric. You just want the boxes to be no wider or longer than the glass, you can pack them with something and add a piece of fiberboard for extra sturdiness, then add tablecloth and glass. Other options are checking out Michaels or Hobby lobby for pedestal types of stands or even vases and pots.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Here is how to make the console table.

Here is an easy way to make a skirt for the console.

By adjusting the board used for the top, you can make it match your piece of glass.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the table in the photo is just one option showing a glass top. The more I look at it, though, the less sure I am about it.

I was leaning more toward the pedestals with the glass. I just returned from Lowe's and Michael's, but didn't see anything there.

There's about three feet between the wall and the sofa. The glass is 12" wide. I have four of them. I can get by using one. If I use two, I would have to put something in the middle (a table runner?) to hide the crack. Can't quite picture it in my mind.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If your glass is 12" wide, how long is it? Is it beveled? If not, I think I'd put a large bowl on the joint between the two pieces and ignore it otherwise.

To me, the glass topped pedestals look a little dated. Having said that, I'm sure the good members of GW can show me all sorts of au courant glass topped pedestals.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How thick and how long are they?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is another thought. You could place your glass on top.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Console table

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also,not sure if glass is a great idea for a console table because it collects and shows dust and fingerprints so easily, and with all the doodads on it, it makes it a real paint to have to constantly clean.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I see that my doubts about the glass top might be justified. It's not a nice thick beveled top, anyway, which is probably why I'm having trouble seeing it.

aktillery, that's a great idea for a DIY console table. It reminds me of my own DIY bath mirror frame. I think this calls for a new topic. I would love to get other simple ideas.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm concerned about the DIY table example as I don't see any support to keep it from racking...

I made me a DIY console table for my office that I then covered with a table skirt...I made it out of xerox boxes taped together....I knew it wasn't going to be used for anything other than light decorative display so it worked.

Instead of a table, we got a bookcase from IKEA and use that as a sofa table in our FR.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH