Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Do I paint the ceiling?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

I'm repainting my kitchen area. The prior owners painted the ceiling and walls the same color. As you can see, it is a drop ceiling. Do I keep the ceiling the same color as the walls or paint it another color (white)? I have this drop effect on both sides of the house. The vaulted ceiling area is stained pine wood. Lastly, do I paint the wall areas between the beams the ceiling color or wall color?

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint it the same white you have on the rest of the ceiling. It'll make it feel higher.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would paint the kitchen ceiling "Ceiling White". All paint manufacturers sell something like this ready mixed in cans you can take off the shelf. It is a flat finish, which I can see from your photo, that you do not currently have on the kitchen ceiling. TOO SHINEY!! I think you want as much light to bounce into your space, and Ceiling White will provide that for you.

The wall between the beans should be painted your wall color.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!!!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Cute house!

Yes, I'd do flat ceiling white on the ceilings. I'm not sure about the triangles between the beams, I think it would depend on what color you are using on the walls. Maybe start with the flat ceiling white and live with it a bit before deciding?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, here's a dilemma - Same color looks great on left side of wall, but looks way too dark on right side of wall (by stairs). We have a huge fireplace on the wall by the sliding glass doors and that wall needs the deeper color.

I'm using Accessible Beige SW 7036 and Balanced Beige SW 7037 (they are on the same card - one step from eachother). Would you split the room in two and do the darker color on the left and the lighter color one the right? Where would you make the break?

We get very little natural light so, of course, the paint looks darker/lighter in different areas because of our indoor lighting.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I don't understand why the huge fireplace wall by the sliding glass doors needs a deeper color.

Overall there's a lot going on visually in that space. I'd choose one color in a matte finish for everything, everywhere.

Even tho Accessible Beige and Balanced Beige are on the same strip/card, they are not one step from each other. They're not even the same color.

They are, however, very close when it comes to attributes: Hue / Value / Chroma and LRV.

7036 ACCESSIBLE BEIGE 2.81Y / 8.1 / 1.22 - LRV 58
    7037 BALANCED BEIGE 1.15Y / 7.3 / 1.57 - LRV 46

What this means is I seriously doubt you're going to be able to tell you used two different colors in that space.

And considering how the inherent, natural light varies in quality throughout the space one color is going to look different area to area anyway - so why bother with two colors when one will work.

I'd choose the lighter of the two, Accessible Beige for all walls and ceiling.

If you feel like you want to do *something* to mix it up, maybe do Accessible Beige flat finish for the ceiling and do the walls in matte or eggshell. But I honestly wouldn't even bother doing that - matte everywhere would be fine.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funcolors - do you think the color SW 7526 Maison Blanche would work in this house - not sure of the undertones and if it would work with gray? I like the idea of going all one color - makes sense, as we do have so much going on visually. We have a moss rock fireplace (grays; off whites; burnt oranges; greens); similar tile in kitchen flooring; natural cherry beams; woodwork; cabinetry.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Sure, it has potential. Might be a good way to thread all the different elements and colors together. It's from the yellow hue family. Same neighborhood as the other two colors and lighter:

7526 Maison Blanche 1.47Y / 8.5 / 1.4 - LRV 66

As far as working with gray, it depends on what hue family the gray(s) belong to whether or not 7526 will harmonize. You'll have to test it and see what it looks like.

The colors we often label as just "gray" actually belong to hue families too. True neutral gray paint colors are hard to come by. What you find in most color collections are achromatic grays; child colors organized by hue parent.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Makes sense - the yellow adds the warmth I am looking for, but not sure if I should be going for something with more red or yellow/red undertones. I can really see the undertones come out depending on the area they are in. I guess it's about what color I want coming out. I think the best way to find out at this point is to paint a whole wall in the color I'm considering. Right now I'm getting too many influences on the color swatches (lighting/shadows/other colors, etc.)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or Nantucket Dune

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022