Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Can you help this dining room?

Need:

chairs to go around dining table (not the kind of chairs all covered with fabric, which is what the C&B (PB?) lady suggested)
new paint color for walls
new window treatments (maybe...privacy is not an issue, just hate the sun beating down on everything in there in the morning)

we plan to put a built-in cabinet in the alcove--what is there is temporary

The light over the table is too high up?

Maybe the dining table doesn't go with the rest, but--it's there now.

Two of the chairs there now are from the garden--really need to put them back in the garden. The others are from the dining nook in the kitchen and need to go back there.

For reference, the dining room is connected to this living room, really all one sort of "L" shaped space.

Looking into dining room from living room

If you sit at the end of the dining table, you see the stairs going up. The far wall on the left is the entry way wall. The pig on the table is fun because when you come down the stairs there's this pig looking up at you. Always makes me smile.

I also wish I could do something with that big empty entryway wall, but that's a story for a different thread. This is the view from the living room couch. The yellow paint was done by the builder when we moved in. I really don't like yellow--it is not a bad yellow, I'm just not a yellow person--but there it was and we decided not to change it until it needed painting again, and it's getting to be that time.

Thanks for any ideas you may have, I appreciate them all. I'm so clueless at this stuff.

Comments (32)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

OMG is that a towel pig?? You could sell that guy for a lotta money to the gals over on the kitchen forum.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I really, really like the yellow. I also really like what you have in the dining room alcove. I wouldn't do a builtin. So many great options for window covering or none at all. Not a fan of the white blinds but white panels would be lovely. Yellow and white are one of my favorite looks.

I have no furniture advise. I always revert to whatever I have on hand or can swipe from a family member. Makes me a total non-expert.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Hahaha robo! I thought the SAME THING! I think this little guy has wings, though.

I can't help you with chairs, right now. Need to look around a bit.

I would not try to fill up that space high on the wall unless you use architecture to accentuate the doorway. Like interesting wood carving around it.

I love yellow, so I'm not going to be much help there. I think it creates a lovely glow in your rooms and sets off your artwork very nicely. Do you care for blues or greens? Grays?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

chairs to go around dining table (not the kind of chairs all covered with fabric, which is what the C&B (PB?) lady suggested)
    Why do you not want upholstered chairs? Are you okay with upholstered seats?

new paint color for walls
    I like the yellow. To me, it is a neutral. It goes well with your living room.

The light over the table is too high up?
    Yes. The bottom of the fixture ought to be 30 -36 inches above your table. Yours appears to be about twice that.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I had the same thought as rgps: no builtin. Instead, find a really interesting cabinet/hutch at an antique store or somewhere, used, rusticâ¦

That seems like a really nice yellow, and I'm not fond of yellow walls. But photos can also distort color (my bedroom color comes out HORRIBLE in pics I put up here).

what if you painted the inside of the little alcove a couple of shades darker than the yellow (or whatever color you end up with for the walls?

Is that chandy staying?

Hard to advise on furniture/rugs, etc. without some guidance from you as to what you like.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

If you are tired of the yellow, how about a blue gray or gray green. You have some of those colors in your art work. That might look nice with your upholstery and cherry finishes. Are you trying to go more modern? For chairs in your dining room, pick a more contemporary wood chair with upholstered seat that matches your table base. I'm not sure the mission chandelier goes with the table and your gorgeous stair railing. It does look too high to me. I like what you have on the windows now, but if you want to see out and control light, wood blinds would work. Have someone from a blind design store come out to give you ideas. I don't know how you'd handle the upper windows If you need light control up there.
    I would not do anything on the big entry wall. It might compete with the eye catching doorway.
    If you need cabinet space in your dining a built in would be great. I think a taller server in that space would be even nicer and you get to take it with you if you ever move!
    I love your pig. I once had frog outside my front door that made me smile too. Unfortunately, unlike real frogs, he did not like the rain!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Krikee, I have been looking for a towel pig for eons. But I think the original T.P. was wingless.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Look up "Hunt Country" furniture and then the seating. I think there are some chairs that would go with you table.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read the towel pig tread, and yes, a True Towel Pig has no wings, so mine is Not Special. :(

No, I don't want to go modern. Maybe I need a different table. Oh well. We like more of a craftsman/mediterranean style--that may be "out" now, but I don't care about being "in".
    The chandy stays. I can get it lowered.

I guess what I need to know is do I need to match the wood on the table? Would a lighter wood chair work?? I do not want a lot of fabric because I don't want to clean fabric. All the upholstery in the house is leather because dog hair doesn't stick to leather. A leather seat would be fine.
    why no fabric
    {{gwi:274585}}

I was thinking more of a tan color for the walls. I've had yellow walls for 14 years and I'm tired of yellow walls.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks eandhl. Do you think something like this would work? The black would go with the black in the living room.

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

LOL! Dog hair (among other dog stuff) - exactly why I went to leather furniture and hardwood floors.

I'm also thinking that (if you don't want yellow anymore) you should go for a much lighter shade of brown that has the same tones of your the wood pieces in your dining niche or the arms of the white chair. It would mix a slight bit of red and brown into the base. I use this color in my house to keep warm tones but also to complement cool colors like blue or lavender. Originally, I bought the paint at Kmart and it was called "Beige Rosette." Happened to find a Behr paint color that is a little big lighter but good enough for touch-ups, called "Designer White." Something that has a little pinkish-peach tone that creates a warm sunset tone (but kept really light in hue) would look beautiful with your wood tones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those chairs are beautiful. Glad to see another all-wood-dining-chairs person! Lol.

I'm about to paint my LR BM Lenox Tan. It's creamy and airy enough during the day, and warm and rich and glowing at night. Very pretty.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Since the table is so very simple, I would select chairs that have an interesting back. Something with fretwork, or Chippendale or the Elkin chair in a lacquer to contrast with the dining room table. I would NOT do a built in in the niche, but find a unique sideboard that works with the chairs.

I really don't like the yellow paint. Doesn't seem a unique enough color to complement this charming, significant home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh, I like that window in the DR - and the view from it.
    I think you need to give some direction about what look you are going for. What is the exterior; is that a direction? Do you have a favorite something you want to use? Even a color? Any pinterest pins or somesuch.

chairs to go around dining table (not the kind of chairs all covered with fabric, which is what the C&B (PB?) lady suggested) - how comfy do you want them to be? what do you use your dr table for? how often

new paint color for walls - dark? light? all the walls? Are you still going craftsman? Would you do wallpaper or grasscloth?

new window treatments -- They are such pretty windows and such nice shapes, but, IMHO, hard to dress. I am not very pro WT anyway. If sunlight is causing fading, Id just get shades.

we plan to put a built-in cabinet in the alcove--what is there is temporary - in my experience built-ins typically maximize storage, but they minimize flexibility and they make a room less airy, not to mention they are costly. Do you need the storage?

The light over the table is too high up? Yes. Google it and it will give you the formual.

Maybe the dining table doesn't go with the rest, but--it's there now. _ I think its fine

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pressback chairs always look good, and a fun thing to do is to collect a set, each one having a different design, i.e.: collect antique pressback chairs (authentic) from CL, eBay,etc.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I like the vertical slat chairs that you have now, they seem to fit with the rest of the room.
    It looks like you could fit 6 chairs around the table.One captain chair on either end and matching dining chairs on the sides. The room seems to need some color, so how about introducing some chair pads , in a fabric that would work for you, that would compliment the wall color?
    I like your chandelier , but as you said, it is to high.
    Overall, I like the style of your dining room and it fits with your living room.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Looking at the picture it seems like the light fixture was hung to be centered in the top curved window and not really as a dining light. I think that is why it is a larger size, was it always specifically meant to be a dining room?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I lOVE your dining room! I usually am not a yellow fan but yours is gorgeous! I love your table and the alcove and what is in it. I would definitely loose the white blinds and add some white airy curtains or a bamboo roman shade or both. Yes, lower the chandy. As for chairs, here are a couple of ideas.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

With the straight lines of your table, I'd probably go with some more rounded shape for the chairs.

BTW, where did you get the table? Love it!

Love Thonet chairs, but they're probably not terribly comfortable.

Or IKEA:

Comes also in wood

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I'm really digging the chair on the right in aktillery's post.

That shape looks great with the table like yours in nosoccormom's 3rd pic. Also like the black rattan in the 7th pic.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I think many of the Hunt chairs would go. If it were my decision I would go with taller chairs. I did have a Hunt dining set many years ago & I can say the furniture is extremely sturdy. I imagine they will still custom, like one chair,mix wood or paint etc. Judging from your other furniture I am guessing you like plain & simple styles. Good luck.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I just had to say, I love your dogs! Samoyeds? We had one when I was little and he was the most wonderful dog :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me too. So many great suggestions, thank you to all. I will look at grey-blue, grey-green, and the Lenox Tan is beautiful also. That is my table in nosoccermom's 3rd picture. Those chairs look good also. Now I must start thinking about all the good suggestions, and see what I can do.

Yes, Samoyeds. We've always had Samoyeds. Dry-mopping twice a day is part of the lifestyle, but they are sweeties!

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I love the yellow . I cann,t imagine getting a color thats any better fit for your home but I totally understand being ready for change. My daughter painted her home a gringe that seems to be a lighter shade of the Lenox tan. It would look wonderful in your home as well.She is traveling for work out of state but when she calls tonight I will ask if she remembers the name.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I love your table. Could you share where you got it?

• rgps
    9 years ago

My sentiments exactly. But only if they are comfy.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love your table. Could you share where you got it?
    It was Crate & Barrel "Dakota" table

I am guessing you like plain & simple styles
    Easier to dust! ;^)

But only if they are comfy.
    Amen!!!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Maybe rattan or wicker chairs --- unless the dogs chew on them. Or leather?

Thanks for the info on the table.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Did anyone mention benches AND chairs? Here's the idea...............

Here is a link that might be useful: benches and chairs

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

"I'm really digging the chair on the right in aktillery's post.
    My sentiments exactly. But only if they are comfy."
    Me too, or three. :>).
    However, whenever I see wood seats for dining, my first thought is
    lack of comfort. Our company dinners, or family holiday meals, tend to go on for hours. Can't imagine that occurring seated on wood alone.
    Your home has a lovely serene appeal.
    I understand the need for shade. ***Woven wood would work nicely. I'm not a fan of cellular shades, but they do have the nice feature of almost disappearing . I'd choose them in a neutral...not white. ! ...To blend with your walls...if you go with a shade of tan.
    Love the darling pups !
    *** we are close, as you know. I do have a good local source for window coverings .( no curtains). Send me an email you need.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the chairs you have now, and think you could probably add to them with something very similar, if not identical, and upholster the seats in a very pale leather--- the color of which would depend upon your wall color choice.