Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

New furniture arrived - Please help finish the room

amj0517
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Our new sofa and chairs arrived, but now I desperately need your help finishing the room. I need tables (coffee table, end tables and possibly a sofa table). Perhaps a rug under the coffee table too. I also need new lamps. I'm stumped on what to get so I would love suggestions from this group.

I am tired of the dark red accent color that is on the existing lamp shades, but I am open to just about any other color that will work with the walls (EK Citrine) and the accent chair in the corner. Here is a close up picture of that fabric (kamala plum):

Here are pictures of the room from various angles:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I am dying for one of those big floor lamps that you place behind a chair and it arches right over (or next to) the chair. I think it would be cool in your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Like one of these

• loribee
    11 years ago

How pretty!!!
    What about some cute, different sized pillows in yellowy-gold, sage, and cream. Add a cozy, cream throw and a chunky coffee table in a lighter shade- maybe an old trunk look or something a bit modern to shake things up??

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

What a wonderful room! Your new furniture looks super comfortable and inviting. You still have a lot of room to play with in there which is nice. I'm not a decorator but I can see adding a few things such as:

Remove all the little plants that are lost in there as well as the greenery on that ledge by the stairs. On the ledge put a collection of large baskets or large wooden birdcages to add some texture. Get a large plant or ficus about 5' high and put that in that right corner by the tv cabinet.

Add a low chest or end table with a lamp by the fabric chair. I can't tell if those black squares are tables or speakers? If you're using the black square by the chair for placing drinks, maybe you'd just want to do a floor lamp.

Add a rug with some color and pattern in front of the sofa.

Add a long rectangular coffee table in front of the sofa. Find another spot for the leather piece that's there now.

Remove the round skirted table and lamp. Replace with another table or a chest with drawers and a heftier lamp. I like drawers to keep pens and notepaper, coasters, etc.

Possibly add a long narrow table behind the sofa. Put another lamp on the left side of it near the gray chair. Maybe something lower than on the new lamp on the right but with a fat base.

It's a large room, with large furniture and very high ceilings. I think you need to think big so items don't looked dwarfed in there.

Your colors so far are pretty neutral so you can pick from a lot of colors for accents. I think it will depend on what you do for a rug if you choose to get one. You can also add those accent colors to your tv cabinet by switching the white bowls with something with a punch of color. Then of course there's pillows and throws, etc.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

'Forgot to add some more paintings to the room on the tv wall.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far. The storage cubes on each side of the entertainments center will go, as well as the the tables by the sofa and the chair, and the storage ottomon that is currently in place of a coffee table and the lamps.

I was actually thinking about putting baskets on top of the entertainment center since the top is unfinished and you can see it (and the wiring) as you come down the stairs. But maybe that would be better on the ledge. I also really like the idea of a bird cage on the ledge. So, if I do that on the ledge, are there any suggestions for what to do with the top of the entertainment center?

I went through my Grandin Road catalog and a lot of items jumped out at me. A rug will probably be the last thing to purchase, but I'd like to have an idea of what look I am working towards as I make other purchases. Tables are the first priority for the room.

What do you think of this set for the sofa area (coffee table, end table and sofa table)? Is it too heavy, visually, with all of the dark leather?

Another option:

What about something like these next to the chairs that are by the fireplace?

Also, as for art, I like all of these, but do you think they compete or clash with the painting that is above the fireplace? I want something that will work with that painting.
    Love the colors here:

Subtle, there are two variations of this available:

Pretty!:

One on each side of the entertainment center (after shifting the unit away from the fireplace wall a bit)?:

This is available in a few colors. I like it, but I'm not sure it will work in the room:

Please tell me if anything jumps out as "Yes! It would work really well" or "No! That would be awful in your room!".

Thanks so much.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I like the cylindrical iron tables a lot (not so much the other tables).

As we read here all the time, art is personal, and what's right for you may be wrong for me. But I try to stay away from 95% of mass-produced art, and instead try to find inexpensive pieces on etsy, or local high school / college art sales, or art from second-hand stores.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think you have enough brown in the room and adding a "brown"coffee table, it wouldn't be a good idea. I think a round one would work better as you have so many angles. As an artist myself I can tell you all of the art pieces you chose will work together, lovely. I think the most urgent item is an area rug to enhance the coziness of your wonderful sofa and chair. I agree with Chicadee and her suggestions. Perhaps a rug with some very muted greens and gold would look great.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a few rugs that I was attracted to. I must add that the bolder patterns frighten me a bit though. I worry about how they'll look with the pattern on the chair. (See, this is why I always end up with plain stuff. I have no idea how to mix patterns).

Wentworth Rug:

Ibiza Rug:

Deerfield Rug:

Petal Pusher Rug:

Greensboro Rug:

Your thoughts on these?

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I think your first rug choice would work well - it has pattern and color, but it's subtle.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think the rugs so far are not a good fit so I looked a bit and here's one that mimics the organic look of your chair. It's neutral yet interesting and gives you the option to use other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: new rug

• mdrive
    11 years ago

i'm leaning more towards the direction yayagal is going too...here is a similar style in dark brown, if you decide to go with a contrast with your light beige carpeting

one other thing i noticed from your pictures that you should probably consider is that your sofa is aligned off center from your entertainment wall...so if you center it in front of the sofa, it will appear 'off' as it relates to the entertainment wall and vice versa...this may not bother you at all, but it is something to consider in your selection, assuming you plan to leave the furniture as depicted

Here is a link that might be useful: rug in a dark brown tone

• mjlb
    11 years ago

This one seems to pick up on the wall color, and mimic accent chair pattern -- but it's not a great contrast with your carpet...

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

I like desert solatares rug the most. I think that will make the room look really rich. Do you have a relationship with any business near you who will let you take a rug home without committing?

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but what you have to the right of the entertainment center isn't really adding to the room and is distracting, IMO. I think you might consider pulling them off the wall and do something more to the scale of the room with a little more pizazz. (not necessarily in the same spot).

I like your long drapes along your window wall.

I want one of the lamps sameboat linked!! I don't know which one, but I will have one of those lamps!! Also, with high ceilings that kind of lamp is suppose to make the room feel a little more cozy.

For what it is worth, I like the X tables. Maybe you could find a table in that style with a fabric or color instead.

You seemed to like a few rugs with pops of orange. I think that would be a really good accent color if you decide to add a little color. Neutrals are great too--so either way you have a beautiful room.

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

I like desert solatares rug the most. I think that will make the room look really rich. Do you have a relationship with any business near you who will let you take a rug home without committing?

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but what you have to the right of the entertainment center isn't really adding to the room and is distracting, IMO. I think you might consider pulling them off the wall and do something more to the scale of the room with a little more pizazz. (not necessarily in the same spot).

I like your long drapes along your window wall.

I want one of the lamps sameboat linked!! I don't know which one, but I will have one of those lamps!! Also, with high ceilings that kind of lamp is suppose to make the room feel a little more cozy.

For what it is worth, I like the X tables. Maybe you could find a table in that style with a fabric or color instead.

You seemed to like a few rugs with pops of orange. I think that would be a really good accent color if you decide to add a little color. Neutrals are great too--so either way you have a beautiful room.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I'm glad you like desertsolitaire's, it's definitely a keeper. Yes, remove the 4 wall items to the right of the t.v.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I tend to like an oriental rug with leather furniture because the combination looks rich and warms up the leather. The Wentworth rug is nice but the colors aren't right. I found this picture on houzz where one commenter mentioned how to mix patterns with an oriental rug. It might be of some help.
    I googled for oriental rugs with tan and plum (that's in your chair) and some things came up, but you might also include some other colors you'd like with them for a larger selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: patterns

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I like the way the furniture matches the dog. Nice touch.