Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

paint sheen, materials

vedazu
9 years ago

Just finished a visit to the paint store to seek out my usual BM Impervo oil base paint for woodwork, only to find that it is now out of stock permanently in NJ, unless you can find a dealer who may have a few quarts left on the shelves. For me, the difference between latex and oil is clear; maybe someone else doesn't see it the same way. What is the experience of our colleagues here about paint that comes closest to the sheen of Impervo? (Have to bite the bullet.....)

So, this leads me to my next question: I've always had a passion for strie walls, and the glamour that the glaze imparts to the room. (subtle stripes, nothing garish....)
and am curious if this is as dead as a dodo.....

Comments (5)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

oh wow, my friend is going to freak out when she hears this, if this becomes national. She still uses Ben Moore SI. (We are both decorative painters- I've made the jump to latex products)

A lot of companies now make oil modified products, which slmulate oil finishes but clean up with water. Some kind of hybrid technology which I can't understand. Anyway, Ben Moore's is called "Advance". Does it level out as beautifully as Oil Satin Impervo? No, not quite....but it's better than their latex Satin Impervo. I've used Advance on trim and been satisfied. One thing about it though- you must let the coats dry well between coats, and for me that means overnight. Even though it may feel dry to the touch in a few hours, putting a second coat on too soon makes it drag and not level out...basically makes it look like crappy latex. I had some painters base paint some trim for me and I could tell right away that they did the second coat too soon.

Well I hope glazes and decorative finishes arent dead. because that's what I do for a living. I've seen a lot of bad faux in my life but a well done, subtle glaze can still offer something else besides wallpaper and straight paint.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 15:43

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for that information--hadn't been paying attention to BM Advance. Hope springs eternal!

• selcier
    9 years ago

So... I've really got no idea about oils. Anyone care to share some pictures of 'glazes' and 'sheens?' I'm a life long learner. :)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Vedazu, I imagine that with the roll out of Advance, it was a matter of time before they discontinued Oil Satin Impervo....much to my friend's chagrin! I forgot to mention that I get Advance in the satin sheen- my friend would tell you that satin Advance is slightly shinier than oil Satin Impervo, but.....I don't see it. ;)

Selcier, a glaze is a transparent color applied over a base coat....manipulated in any number of ways.

Here is a glazed striped wall I did a few months ago. Adjoining walls were painted a flat cream. The wall was glazed a pale blue, with sheer taupe stripes overlaid onto that.I think the glaze gives a softer look than straight paint in this case...glazes have a bit of "movement" that flat paint doesn't have.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 22:15

• vedazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Selcier: I'm not a professional--but perhaps that's why I have always enjoyed painting with oil. It is more forgiving of "working" the paint. It stays wet longer and brushstrokes get leveled out more easily. Latex dries too fast, even if you use an additive. And, it wears much better.
    If you use a glaze on a base coat, you get a lovely, subtle light reflection that is very attractive.