Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Decorative shelves over tv?

Our tv and all the component parts (a computer, a Wii, Playstation, speakers..) all sit atop a red wicker dresser in the living room. My DH wants them out in the open to minimize overheating (guess he doesn't care that much about dust LOL). As much as I'd like to have them stored away etc, it's not happening :-(

Yesterday I was browsing through stores and found three red shelves -- decorative types that won't hold much of anything -- that I thought might look nice on the wall above the tv and kind of tie in with the dresser.

I'm on the fence about these shelves though. I see pictures online of how nice it can look to have shelves over the tv to tie in with the media cab/console/whatever. But would it work for our setup or would it just make the wall look busier?

Part of the issue, too, is we have a black piano right next to the dresser/tv. It can't go anywhere else except if we get rid of it. My DH doesn't want to rearrange anything due to how he has the computer/tv everything wired. I feel like adding the decorative shelves will help to set the two pieces apart from each other or move the eye around on the wall a little more. But maybe it's just more visual clutter.

I can't take a picture straight-on of that wall in the room or it won't show the whole wall, but the whole room is about 12 x 14 and has three sides; opposite the tv/piano is a sofa, and on the short wall a fireplace.

I tried a mock up to try and show them on the wall, do they work or should I take them back?

{{gwi:1813782}}

Shelf close-up -- two shelves are wider and the middle one a little shorter. The pictures have different lighting, but I think the reds are closer to a match IRL.

{{gwi:1813783}}

I'm thinking about taking down the stuff above the piano; it's a sticker chart for practicing and other piano practice stuff that could just go into a folder in the bench. I really like the red mirror on the short wall to the left of the piano, but I couldn't really figure out a better spot so it's there.

Here's another photo, trying to show the dresser/shelves with similar light. The living room is generally dark during most of the day. It has two tall narrow corner windows, one faces east and the other the shaded patio. I've been thinking about repainting the room, but no idea what color would be pretty in there. No idea at all.

{{gwi:1813785}}

I felt like maybe an additional perspective on the room would help...although now that i'm taking pics of it I can see maybe I should clean up instead of worrying about these darned shelves LOL!

Our decorating budget is miniscule, so if the shelves are a bad idea they need to go back to the store.

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 14:28

Comments (125)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll come up with a room layout and some dimensions of what we have. There is an Ikea about 20 minutes away, too, so definitely something DH and I can investigate.

The space between the fireplace and the corner is 34"

I really do like the idea of painting the room a darker color; why won't dark grey work? Does grey actually cause depression? We have a mid-ton grey in the master bathroom and I love it! Grey and cool colors are much nicer with my skin tone ;-)

The other rooms in our house are painted greyish-green (it's called Bayberry Smoke), icy sky blue (room faces west and always feels hot in summer), apple green (boys' room - they have navy blue beds), and the mid-tone grey. The main bath will be a medium blue called "Kaleidescope", I think it's Olympic (a friend gave me her leftover). We have never painted the hallway or master bedroom, couldn't decide on anything.

I'm sharing all this to show that the way the LR is, now, with the red and the ivory/cream walls...it doesn't really fit in w/the rest of the house color-wise. I like blue, grey, and bright green.

At any rate, I'm going to work on a to-scale layout plan and look very carefully at the options from Ikea (that is probably closer to our budget than the one from Scandinavian Designs).

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Melle, I was being a bit flippant when I said dark gray walls cause depression. Many have dark gray walls and remain happy and upbeat. I love the color gray, esp. charcoal. It's a shade I can wear with my hair and coloring. My house exterior is light gray with white trim. So, gray is a wonderful color.

But lots of gray on interior walls makes me feel closed in, anxious, and sad. I would be depressed. You may be fine.

My point was that I'm not sure dark gray walls will successfully hide or disguise the area with electronic component clutter.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking of only painting the media wall and the walls next to the fireplace the dark color. The wall above the fireplace either white or a fun color (apple green?) and then the wall behind the couch, and the entry area, a lighter grey. Maybe that's too many different colors...must do a mock up.

Linelle -- I have never been in a home with dark rooms, so I guess IDK how it would make me feel. I find our mid-grey bathroom soothing :-)

Just looking briefly at the Ikea stuff, most of the units aren't deep enough. I like the Orrberg, but it's not deep enough to hold the computer inside. DH would park it on top.

Am I stuck otherwise, if paint won't hide it and I can't move the piano? What other options may be available?

Maybe balance it out on the other side of the TV with a similarly sized black shelf/storage unit?

Here is a link that might be useful: Orrberg tv unit

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 19:17

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Why not get some gray paper and see what you think. Put it on the wall and live with it a short time and see if you like it

The IKEA cabinet is fine but if hubbs was my son all the electronics would be on top of it. What about more of a sideboard style so his remote work through the glass, a fan could be installed to cool while not having the electronics exposed to room dust like they are

Here is a link that might be useful: idea

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I think you should look for a console with more open shelving...for cooling, since that is an issue with your husband. Yes, the components may still be visible, but they won't be all crammed right under the tv as they are now, which should help a lot. In one of nosoccermoms console pics, I noticed what looked like a computer tower next to the console..if you have a tower you may have to do that as well.

Original Author
    9 years ago

DH doesn't want glass as our children are likely to break it. At any rate, I like the streamlined "modern" style better anyway. That's a good idea about gray paper, I'll have to see what I can come up with! Maybe I'll buy a gray sample paint and put it onto a large piece of cardboard.

He said he's installing a fan inside if we do anything enclosed.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Ok, if he is up for the extra effort to install the fan, I think that is good. But, the doors have to be open if the some of the stuff is going to work....at least I THINK that's how the stuff works!! I can't stick our cable box in a drawer because then then the remote won't work. Unless there is some techy work around that im not familiar with, I think closing and opening doors would be a bit of a pain.

Original Author
    9 years ago

coll_123 you might be right about the doors. I'm trying to think what all is remote. He has a cordless keyboard, and a remote for the receiver. The tv has it's own remote (and it will be out on the wall anyway). The PlayStation is apparently not his, he bought it for his sister (HIS PlayStation is the one in our bedroom). We don't have cable or a cable box, just cable modem for internet.

I don't see a problem with opening a sliding door when using the stuff, and closing the door to put away. Mainly it's used on the weekends anyway; occasionally I watch something on Netflix while I fold laundry. The kids sometimes have time in the evening to watch a show or play a game.

Yeah, he is all over any computer/electronic projects -- loves that kind of stuff.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

You should get all that figured out before up go furniture shopping. We just have an xbox one, and a cable receiver, I think both need to be " exposed" to operate the remotes and controller. I can't remember how old your kids are, but if they are very young, I imagine you don't want doors swinging out into the room ...so I would avoid that if you can. And, there are lots of shades of gray. I've already said in another thread that I personally like gray....so it comes down to what YOU like. You have a white or off white wall now behind a black piano, a black tv, and black components. I think virtually ANY color you put behind there, in conjunction with replacing the red wicker dresser with a dedicated console for electronics, will go a long way for you.

This post was edited by coll_123 on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 20:38

• suero
    9 years ago

My DH is also adamant about not having closed anything for components, so we have open shelves for the TVs. That didn't stop an adventurous two year old from fiddling with the controls of one component and breaking it. But the glass shelves are not a breaking hazard. They are tempered glass and thick.
    As for needing the red dresser to hold remotes, etc, why not put them in the bookcase, in baskets, if necessary. It's not that long a walk from the bookcase to the TV area.
    Best Buy has many open shelf consoles for HDTVs. Since yours is wall mounted, you can use the shelves for all those components. I think the TV wall will look less crowded with an open shelf console.

Here is a link that might be useful: Open shelf console

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

What do you think about the Lack tv stand from Ikea in a dark color. Would it be big enough? It wouldn't be a huge investment and could solve the problem.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How much space do you need for the computer? Are you talking about the tower? Can't you put it upright?

Also, the Liatorp and Hemnes TV unit are both 19 1/4 " deep. Also, maybe the Liatorp side cabinet.

Or look into Besta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatorp

Original Author
    9 years ago

I liked the Lack unit but I'm not sure if it has enough shelves. The computer is not a tower, it's flat and wide like a component. In thie pic at the beginning of the thread it's atop the dresser on the far right.

If I went with something like the Lack, would I put another shelf to the right, something of similar size to the piano? To sort of visually balance the area?

Tomorrow I'll have time to make a room layout and maybe a mock-up. I'm thrilled with everything that we've talked about in this thread, maybe the room and the component set-up can be re-done in a way that is more pleasing to me (and acceptable to DH). I was not expecting it to get further than yes/no on the red shelves. But even though I'm returning them, it's been so great to re-think the space.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

We picked the same unit NoSoccerMom

I do not know for sure about the Ikea cabinet, but I would bet it is safety glass. My old entertainment center had glass doors, not only has it survived 30 years (the ex has it not me) but so have the doors and that is after 3 boys.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I bought a media console very similar to this from costco.
    The back of all the shelves have holes for letting air out.
    I love this piece of furniture and find it holds everything very well.
    The tv sits on top and is the perfect heights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lyban - that's a nice piece, too! i see it comes in black

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Melle, my son and his family are living here while their house is being built next door (should be finished next month.) They moved in last year with their 2 and 4 year old toddlers. We have a big console with two glass shelves, while the bottom shelf is wood.

The kids haven't even come close to breaking it. I just told them not to play on the shelving. Tell your DH that the kids grow fast and know the word "No." lol

I know you really want to paint, but wait until you get the TV/piano wall figured out first. Your color scheme may change after that.

There is definitely room for the piano in the DR. Have the kids sit across the table from it.

Look at it this way. Would you rather have a semi-cramped DR, or a fully cramped and cluttered LR?

• roarah
    9 years ago

I would keep piano and the tv where they are, take out the dresser and move the book case away from the fp walll paint it black and place it where the floor lamp is to house the components. You can either drill holes in the back and into the garage wall thru to the tv or tack the lines neatly with cable ties and tacs.I have my dh's electronics in a book case to the side of our tv in our den and it has freed up so much visual clutter.

I am shamefully posting a picture of our town apart den, it is my latest project(putting in new floors this week) so all that is presently in the room is tv and its stuff. Right now all the components are stacked on one shelf but usually they each have their own space, they are just out of harms way during construction:). We keep a stack of big floor pillows under the tv for kids to lay on while watching movies.

This post was edited by roarah on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 9:44

• roarah
    9 years ago

I have a charcoal color living room and I adore it. I did it years ago and have not sunk into a terrible depression.I am not sure if it helps hide my promenantly displayed tv in its tabu location, over the FP, but it didn't make it look any worse:) here is a shot of the black tv v against charcoal.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Really should not do these posts on my tab with a toddler and cat on lap sorry for tripple posts:(

{{gwi:1813774}}

This post was edited by roarah on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 10:29

• roarah
    9 years ago

Deleted

{{gwi:1813775}}

This post was edited by roarah on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 10:30

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I love your living room, roarah. I'm sure your TV would stand out a lot more on a white wall than it does now.

Original Author
    9 years ago

oakleyok - my boys have broken the glass from a few picture frames, so DH isn't risking anything more substantial. They are 5 and 9; when we got the dresser, they were nb and 4 1/2 so I do think it would be safer to have glass doors now.

roarah -- love those rooms! I don't want to paint the shelf. I painted it white, and the paint hasn't stayed in place well - it flakes off and I just didn't do it right. It's a lot more work than I want to deal with to sand it all down and do it correctly this time. I'll just use it somewhere else, as is.

I love all the ideas/discussion that have come out of this thread, but it's almost topped out with posts!

DH said that he'll work with me on a new set-up, but first he wants me to finish up the other projects on my list. Fair enough. I'll just have this one in the back of my mind ;-)

When we've made more decisions and are ready to do the LR, I'll post again with a room layout and some type of idea board.

Melanie

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Can you raise the tv a little and then place the piano under it. Then flank each side of the piano with a tall media tower to hold the components.

It is a small space, but this way you would have better balance and multi use. I'm assuming you don't play the piano and watch TV at the same time.

Alternatively move some of the Billy bookcases in and move the piano to the office.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Cute doggie!

How about putting the piano under the TV with a media cabinet next to it?

• pokyhoky
    9 years ago

Here's my charcoal living room..... I had it green for 5 years and it didn't seem right. Painted it a year ago and I love it. It's pretty dark at night without all the natural light, but I'm good with that. The wood stove used to pop out, now it's a little less awkward. If I get bored, I'll change the accents to something fun like peacock blue. Love your lime green idea!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Tempt DH with the option of a second TV. :-)

Seriously, I painted accent wall very dark grey with a hint of blue (so dark the painter said, ''it's almost black''). It looks great. Was so afraid to go that dark, but so glad I did. Figured, if I did not like it, repainting a small area would be easy. Look at pictures on google images & Houzz; that is what gave me the courage.

Original Author
    9 years ago

You know what, prior to getting the dresser we DID have the tv ON the piano. I forgot about that. What I didn't like was DH also had his components sitting on the piano too. I didn't like the piano as a shelf.

We do not watch the tv AND play the piano at the same time, so maybe that is a better set up after all, given the space constraints and my reticence to having the piano so close the the kitchen table.

Since the vintage seating awaiting our decision is both a sofa and a loveseat, putting the piano and the tv together in one spot would allow for both to possibly fit into the room...which would be nice (but still crowded)!

Thank you so much for the extra pictures! I do like the charcoal walls. Hokypoky I love that color in your room, it really makes a difference w/that stove. I've seen rooms where those kind of stoves totally stand out and I find it a eye-sore, but in your room it looks lovely!

mdln -- thank you for the pictures, those rooms look about the size of ours but not nearly as cramped/crowded feeling.

Maybe I can't go black-dark, but I could see a mid-tone grey really helping out the busy wall w/so many dark things, and helping to highlight the fireplace (which I do think is one of the nicer features of the room).

I was even thinking about just painting a dark square on the wall, behind all the black things, and then a lighter color around it and on the other walls (like a charcoal square and then a lighter, warm greige). Would need to mock that up and see what I thought of it first.

I think my tastes have changed over the years of living here, which is why I like the other rooms (done later) and not so thrilled w/the LR. Yet I've kept trying to work with it as-is, never considering a complete re-do.

And thanks to all the fab ideas, I think a re-do this time will turn out very nice! :-) Thanks everyone, this is wonderful.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Here's a crappy play with your photo on putting the TV over the piano with a media tower next to it.

Maybe somebody else can change the wall color.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think it would be nice if you could find 2 towers (one on each side of the piano) and redistribute the components to the lower shelves and use decorative accessories on the upper shelves. It would balance the wall. Remove the shelving to the left of the fireplace.
    Paint the wall a blue gray and add fun green accessories to the top shelves. It would draw your eyes away from the components.

• mdln
    9 years ago

my thoughts

• christine40
    9 years ago

oh---I really like the last picture mdln posted. could be a real clean look!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so touched that you guys have taken time to put together mock-ups for me! I really like the way it looks w/tv over the piano, and shelves flanking both sides.

lyfia -- it is such an improvement to have the dresser off that wall!

mdln -- I wouldn't have considered wood-tone shelves but they really look nice there, don't they :-) The plant would totally die, unfortunately, it's a very dark corner. But I love the grey wall, really liking that color.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Except, you better not want to play the piano when your DH gets a hankering for one of his games. Who will win that tug of war?

I'm sorry, I think it's a terrible mix of things.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Geez Linelle....what is the OP supposed to do...she has a small house With a tricky space and is trying to find something that works that will make herself and her family happy.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

There is something about the TV over the piano that seems odd to me. I would rather see it over the fireplace.

Or do what I did at one house with an unused fireplace: we removed the mantel (easy to do) and placed a big honking TV unit in front of it. We built a simple platform for it to sit on since we had a raised hearth like yours.

Just went back a read that you like the fireplace. Disregard the above.

Gray isn't the only color to use to lessen the contrast of the wall with the video stuff. How about brown?

The idea of painting only a portion of the wall - I don't think so.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I think the tv over the piano is the best option. Is it perfect? No, but it's a good compromise that meets all needs. I'd stick with black towers however.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I did not think I would like the tv over the piano but those examples posted of finished rooms changed my mind. except I might be afraid of the tv falling on me, sitting at the piano! Not that that would realistically happen, but I might have that "feeling" I don't like pictures hanging over the bed for that reason either! definitely no electronics on top of the piano- gah!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I would put the tv over the piano, paint the walls, and go with the two open towers/shelving on each side of the piano. I would use the lowest shelves to hold the electronics, and the upper ones to thoughtfully display some opjects/pics/books whatever. And lose the white bookcase in the corner and push the doggy's crate into that nook ( I have two dog crates in my dining room, btw, because I also have a small, challenging house and no where to put them - horrifying, I'm sure, but it is what it is)

• mdln
    9 years ago

@ coll_123 - LOL, I used to be that way about ceiling fans over the bed. Probably because I grew up with a healthy respect for airplane propellers (dad was a pilot). Lived in an apartment that had a ceiling fan and never used it. Thankfully, got over it and just had one put up in my rebuild.

@ melle - all my plants/flowers are silk/faux.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Well, coll_123, there have been a number of alternative locations suggested that seem a lot better suited to the disparate activities of TV/games and playing the piano. For most of those suggestions, Melle has stated that her DH has shot them down for various reasons. It's clear he likes this setup in the living room.

I can imagine him playing his games and someone playing the piano in the dining area, maybe with the use of headphones. However, I can see some territorial issues arising if someone is playing the piano right under the TV and he wants to play a game or watch the tube.

I just think a more balanced solution could be found, but it involves compromise by both parties.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Linelle, I thought the OP said there wasn't room anywhere else for the piano. Except possibly the dining room. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on whether that was a more appropriate location for a piano than the family/living room.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

My children usually practiced piano right after school and I always enjoyed listening to them while I made dinner. The evening was devoted to schoolwork and television or games, No competition between piano and TV.
    For some people, televisions over the fireplace work, but I don't think it would work in this house. The TV would be too high. Since the piano is on the lower side, the TV would just be a little higher than it is now. I'm not sure if the piano lamp will still work? (but that is a minor consideration)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I agree that the tv over the piano with shelving on either side solves the problem. All other suggestions about moving the piano to another area were not acceptable to the OP or her husband. I agree with the poster who said that children usually practice piano after school and I assume husband is still at work. If the OP and her husband think it's workable regarding conflicting game playing and piano playing, then I think the tv over the piano is the best, inexpensive option. It will certainly make the room more spacious.

Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle -- I do understand where you're coming from, but for how we live etc, it's better to not bring the piano next to the kitchen table. If we were all adults, I think it would be a good choice. But my kids are 5 and 9, and they have little friends etc. It's our only kitchen/dining table and the farthest I could move it away is 2 feet from the piano...the piano juts out more than the buffet; it's a shallow buffet, 17" deep, and the back is finished, but the piano is 24" deep. So in pictures I do think it would look better, but in practice it would put the dining table right in the middle of the doorway into the kitchen, which would probably not be a good choice. As far as conflict over who uses what and when, that's never been a problem. DH may be stubborn in some ways, but he's a considerate person to live with.

graywings -- over the fireplace would mean looking up to watch tv. I like your idea of in front of the fireplace, I am going to run that one by DH. As much as we do like the fp, most days where we live you aren't allowed to burn anything anyway. I can't remember the last time we had a real fire, I have candles in there that I light -- creates a nice mood. You're probably right about keeping just one color on the wall.

coll_123 -- I like the ladder shelf idea too. When I get closer to being able to re-do the room I'll look for something like that. My DH said that he really wants a product that is meant to hold components though, so that may be a hard sell.

Karenseb -- yes the tv would be too high if over the fp -- the mantle is over 5' tall. Really don't want to mess with changing that, especially if we may move in a few years.

k9Arlene -- thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

I hope I responded to everyone, I've really appreciated all the ideas and thoughts, especially the critical eyes -- it's challenging to think outside the constraints after living here 13 years. Our home is small and modestly sized, it's not in a hot neighborhood where people do awesome (ie expensive) custom things to make the small spaces work (and if they do, it's often at a loss if/when they sell).

I have other outstanding home projects to complete, but DH agreed that once they were finished we could look into re-doing the living room -- like paint and the shelving/layout, everything. It might not be until after Christmas, but I'm feeling so blessed to have such a great start from all of you.

Melanie

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Melle, you sound like a wonderful wife and mother. Your family is blessed. The decor will work itself out. Best of luck to you.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I vote for a unit to hold the tv and the electronics, in black, like the piano. The TV over the piano means you have to crane your neck, it should be lower. If you put two bookcases on either side its overkill because you don't need that much storage space for the components. Two bookcases probably take about the same amount of space that a tv unit would take. Just my 2 cents, I know you have enough to digest already. Good luck!

• selcier
    9 years ago

I just can't wait to see what the finished arrangement looks like! There has been so much great advice. Come back and post once you move everything around. :)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

melle: "I, too, think his reason for not wanting to build out the wall is kind of...I mean, if the door needs to open that wide we could take it off temporarily, and we never bring large things through that door, anyway.

I'd actually like to feel more privacy when I'm in the living room. I don't enjoy having everything open. I don't like that when people come to the front door they can see into our whole main living area.

Maybe if we talk more about the privacy concerns, he'll understand. But to say 'lets build a wall for the piano' -- not convincing him from that angle ;-)"

Time to build the wall and move the piano. It's a win-win for you and everyone in the house. Taking a door off hinges once in a blue moon in nothing compared to the stretches you're trying to make just so ONE person can have HIS way.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, so much to take in with this thread :-)
    We moved the vintage sofa and loveseat out and i added an update to my old thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage blue set

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022