Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turn a piece of glass into a mirror?

Posted by threedgrad (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 13:51

How would one turn a piece of glass into a mirror? Has anyone done this? Is it hard or expensive to do? Is it even worth doing?

Thanks

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turn a piece of glass into a mirror?

I recall reading about this on the paint forum (supposedly there is paint that claims it can do this). But the verdict was that it doesn't work well at all. Maybe search for mirror on that forum to see if you can find the post.

:-)

francy

o

have you thought of just putting a thin mirror behind the piece of glass you want to turn into a mirror?

o

Check Krylon.com, they have a spray paint that does this. I've heard it works quite well since a lady on an MSN board used it inside glass vases and ornaments and got the look of mercury glass.

o

Thank you Just.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krylon Mirror Paint

o

If you want a true mirror, you can't fake it with spray paint. It actually requires a chemical process. But if you want a reflective surface, the mirror paint is good. I made some gazing balls for my garden that way.

o

Not for a true mirror, but didn't Martha Stewart do something like that with silver leafing? Was more for an antiqued effect.

o

You are very welcomeThreegrad! Glad to have been of some help. Be sure to post pictures of your finished project.

Squirrelheaven, I've seen it done that way too. Probably on Martha's craft show. I love the look of it. More like art than a mirror, I think.

~Becky <><

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here