Silver plate or hotel silver fine. Key characteristics I'm looking for:

1. oval

2. pierced rim

3 large

Here is a link that might be useful: like this one

Comments (63)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

not sure this one was linked before. How much do you want to spend? I love spending your money, so I'm linking it anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Gallery Tray

• camlan
    11 years ago

I've found similar, but smaller ones at Goodwill. There always seems to be a small collection of silver plate at Goodwill. And I've picked up a few sterling trays and candy dishes there as well.

The selection is very varied, but for $1 - $2 apiece, the price is right.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakley,

I am looking for a tray because it is one of the elements I am copying from this pic, for my little stonehouse project:

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Reed and Barton makes an 18" x 12" oval tray with a 2-1/2" gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reed and Barton

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Personally, I would look for something in pewter or cast aluminum, silver tarnishes in no time and practically always needs polishing. I have an entire closet of it when I went through that phase and eevn though I have some gorgeous stuff, most inherited, I only drag it out for fancy entertaining.

Although I do have some nice, lacquered silver candlesticks that are tarnish free. They are aging beautifully.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Lacquered silver is not the same as the look you are trying to emulate. Silver won't need polishing but only about every 3 months...and it's easy with a polish like Warners or Wrights and a sponge and warm water.
    Not wanting silver because it has to be polished now and then is rather like saying you don't want wood furniture because it has to be dusted.

I love the look of a silver gallery tray holding bits of this and that...soap and perfume, mail and a vase, condiments on the breakfast table...or cocktails for 2. I just says gracious living to me.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I have a smaller (maybe 14") Sheffield tray on my bureau to hold my perfume bottles. Bought it in a thrift store! It looks so pretty, but I do have to polish it. Downstairs, in public areas, I have my pewter collection. Don't need to worry about tarnish.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Darn - I was at Brimfield today and I am sure I could have found one for you there! It's a lovely tray. I have a weakness for silver plated anything...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

We keep our stuff in silver bags and I can't remember the last time we had to polish anything. Of course this is different than leaving it out, but it does get used every couple of months, then put away, so it has regular exposure. It's all between about 120 years old and 40 years old at the newest, and I doubt any particular piece has been polished more than once or twice a decade although used regularly.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I use my stuff too- but don't have that much occasion to use them, not my style so much anymore.. They are stored in tarnish free bags. I have debated about turning the buffet into a lined cabinet but decided against it.
    However, I did do the sitting out for several years, and a piece would turn black in a few months.

I still think pewter can be equally, perhaps more so, as lovely without the hassle.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumble and Lindac,
    I do want the tray to be silver, and I do not mind paying a fair bit or having to polish it. I have a silver tray and I always find it so useful ( but it is rectangular and very simple, so wont do the trick here). Even though the impetus is putting a piece in this room, I am sure I can press a nice silver tray it into service in many ways. That's why I don't want pewter or aluminum.

Pal,
    I am not sure I like the more complex shape, especially on the moroccan ottoman. I came across this shape a lot in my search.

Camlan, too funny, I just dropped off at Goodwill today! I looked for aqua vases but not at silver. I dont think they will have the large size I need anyway

Oly, I like that one, but the gallery piercing is too fine i think --- its hard to see. I like the 1st dibs one best so far. You need to login to get the price, it is 750. I dont think its worth that. I made them an offer, but it bounced back. Tried emailing direct, we will see!

Engineer, They really are. I have one (very restrained) silver tray that I always love to find a reason to use to serve. Always looks good!

DLM, you dog!

Lucky gal --- that site looks very promising! Thank you!

Sonic, Arapaho, thank you!

BronwynsMom -- I know what you mean. Silver trays seem like one of those things you always see at antique stores, fleas, etc. But then can't find when you want it!

I will report back if any of these work!

I thought I did a pretty thorough search but you guys were a big help. Thank you again!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'd also go for vintage, so I ditto the suggestions of etsy and ebay.

I can't tell from the picture what the material is, but I have to say, Pewter and others just do not meet up to silver. Especially the patina of old, even somewhat worn silver. I love it! I collect pieces although some of mine are handed down. Most are displayed in a cabinet, which greatly slows down the darkening. I even have two small baby cups (candles in them) displayed in a bathroom. I LOVE silver. They have only darkened to a degree and just look their age. For pieces used when dining, thankfully, my hubby polishes! I think he finds it relaxing. LOL

tina

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Have you checked out Goodwill Auction?

Here is a link that might be useful: Auctions

• kim23185
    11 years ago

Mtnrd-I work 4 doors down from The Silver Vault in Williamsburg, they have lots of trays like you are describing. I am happy to have a look and send you pics if they have any trays that might fit the bill.
    P.S. Where did your inspiration pic come from, I am loving that ottoman?
    Kim

• kathy77
    11 years ago

If the tray is to be residing on an ottoman, I suggest a rim that is not pierced to prevent spillage.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Since the stone house is rustic, maybe you should use the Cooper Tray, fashioned to look like a barrel, and influenced by antiques in the Tiffany archive.

17" long, in Sterling, $80,000.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Buddyblue! That is so very nice of you. The 1st Dibs one in linked to is the closest to what I want, and the key difficulty seems to be finding one that large or close (it is 24" x 15.5"). I also want it on the less ornate side, but the pierced galley is key,

I love the ottoman too. I first came across the photo 3 years ago, but decided it was too feminine for our LR. Now we are doing a little stonehouse on our property and I can be more "daring". The ottoman is from Windsor Smith. I love her rooms. She sells it on her website. I needed to make mine a tad smaller, 42" instead of 48", so it's custom made. I did notice that the ottoman has been on sale a few times on OneKingsLane, fwiw.

Kathy,
    It won't be used for anything other than reading material 99% of the time. The flowers will have to be silk.

Pal,
    That $750 tray on first dibs is starting to look like a "steal". Of course 1st Dibs always has such terrific bargains!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

M'dux, sent you an email re:trays. I hope that's okay. ;o)

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Oooo, LOVE that Georgian Sheffield tray Olychick posted! The price is right on that one, too. Sheffield silver has that fantastic thick looking luster and patina that you sometimes don't see even in sterling.

This is something of an eye opener to me, however. I have often used inspiration pictures as a jumping off point, but have never sought to duplicate one so closely that the degree of piercing on the gallery of a tray had to match closely. I didn't realize anyone did that, even after years here!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm glad you are looking for an old one. New silver, or, heaven forfend, thinly plated cheap new approximations (!!), will never have the heft, the style, or the patina of the old ones that are everywhere.

Make sure you see anything you are considering buying on line from every angle, well lit, so that you can see any hallmarks, judge the level of wear (sometimes it's tarnish, but often the plating has worn through, and sometimes the wear can be extensive), and determine if it's been replated. I would choose a tarnished one over one that looks too bright, in case it's been dipped or cleaned with something horrible like Tarn-X.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bronwynsom,
    Like everything I choose, I much prefer a little tarnish and am okay with some wear!

KSWL,
    Yes, and no. IMHO the touches of bling in the room, silver tray and gold chandy, mirrors, etc, are important. And frankly I have never given much thought to silver trays, but now that I have been looking for one, I think the visible piercing is a very nice look (whereas I don't like handles as much, or elaborate embossing). Since a nice looking tray will not be cheap, I want to pick one I like and can use anywhere.

There are a lot of elements we can't do or don't want to do; and starting with 4 exposed stone walls is sure a twist on WS's design! But we should be able match the ottoman and tray very closely, the rug is easy, the bling is not too hard to throw in. The pale pink walls we will give a nod to with a pink ceiling. For the throw pillows, we don't like the rust color. So we are taking some latitude there, but trying to mix dark and light and stripes with embroidery etc

What I love most about the room is the ottoman, and then the subtle use of gold, aqua and pink, juxtaposed with antique woods. I think we will get that

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

It sounds like a wonderful project!
    I'm a fool for silver. To the rather horrid Duchess of Windsor's assertion, I would add that you can never be too rich or too thin or have too much silver...and by the by, yes, you can be too thin.

I do keep mine polished, but reasonably gently, with Wright's silver cream, which is so easy, and lets me leave the darkened bits in any deep crevasses intact. I like it to look clean and cared for, but still to show its not-newness.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom thank you thank you thank you for adding "yes you can be too thin". As the mother of a DD recovering courageously from bulimia and having seen too many anorexic women of all ages, another big THANK YOU! That can never be said too much.
    and as always I love your decorating ideas and advice.
    carry on.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

In addition to polishing with silver cream, if you wash the silver regularly, you will not need to polish as often. I polish mine no more often than every 3-4 months as Lindac said! Love all these trays.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hrmmph.

I was bidding on the ebay one. I had gone back and forth a few times (before me there were only 2 bids, one in early August and one like a week ago).

Anyway, suddenly a new bidder comes in and its gone.

I wonder if it is GW'er!

That's okay, the piercing was too faint. Back to the hunt (off line this time!)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Cooperbailey, I send you my admiring supporting thoughts - it is terrifying when a child is in the grip of something dangerous, particularly when the prevailing culture does everything it possibly can to make it worse.

And thank you for your kind words. I wish your daughter continued success. You both are very brave.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Oh, too bad. It looked gorgeous. But since you said it wasn't the right one, maybe someone here assumed it was fair game (wasn't me :). Good luck.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

This thread has just reminded me of something I'd always wanted to copy - mtnrdredux, pal, did either of you ever have a drink at The Boat House, in Lambertville, NJ? I've not been inside in quite a few years, but what a charming and picturesque bar, and I can still clearly recall some of the little tables for drinks - silver trays are used as the table tops. I would love to have someone make side tables just like them. Here's a link to a blog showing a table. (I hope it's OK to post it): http://mdashing.squarespace.com/home/2011/9/8/the-boat-house-lambertville-nj.html

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very true, Oly, I am only teasing.

Lynxe,
    Although I grew up just across the river in Bucks County, and my family is mostly in the area, but, no, I have not.

Now I want to go!

But your post about trays as tables reminded me of something I saw in a restaurant yesterday that was so cool! It was at this wonderful place called Terrain --- garden center, housewares, and farm to table cafe.

Anyway, at Terrain's Cafe, they bring you the check tucked in an old french paperback. So much nicer then the ugly black pleather sleeves!

PS I think there is another Terrain in PA - Glen Mills?? You must go. It is as if ABC Carpet or Anthropologie had a garden center. Not to mention perfect food.

Here is a link that might be useful: more on the BH for Lynxe

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

There is a lady who sells beautiful silver who will be at an antique mall here this weekend. I'll send you her contact info if you'd like. I don't know if I'll make it to see her or not; depends on if it rains, lol! She has helped me find a few odd pieces of my flatware, but she can tell you if she has what you're looking for. I just got a postcard in the mail yesterday but it's at home.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Hi m'dux, I sent you an emal re:trays. ;o)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I am going to be the city Thursday so I am going to see the one from 1st Dibs at the dealer there. Now that I know what the last one went for on ebay, it gives me some idea. I actually prefer simplicity of the 1st dibs one.

Patty I didnt see an email

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

M'dux, guess that email is floating around in cyberspace! As for the silver tray, I have a beautiful one similar to what Pal posted, gallery type. I believe it's R&B als, and in 'like-new condition'. I also have a very large round brass tray, probably close to a 65" or larger in circumference. I used it on a heavy iron base as a coffee table for several years. It's in great shape too, no dents or scratches. The last is an oval brass tray, again very large, probably 17"-19"wide, and almost twice as long. As far as prices, I'm asking $225 for the gallery style, $110 for the round brass, and $135 for the oval brass, first time I've seen this shape. Shipping would be approx. $25-$35, I think.

I would send pics, but grandson dropped my camera and I've never replaced it. I have them at my space in the antique mall, and could send a picture text, but would need your phone #, and you might not be comfortable doing that~I completely understand.

I saw your post re:checking out 1st dibs~it would make things easier, and you would get to see it IRL. ;o;

• kim23185
    11 years ago

Hi Mtnrd- I ran into The Silver Vault on my way to work today, armed with a few of your pics from 1st dibs. The owner kept the pics and said she knows 2 or 3 people she deals with who may have trays that fit the criteria you are looking for. She has my number, so I will pass the info on to you if she comes up with anything before you find that perfect silver tray.
    I will say though, I think that 1st Dibs piece is very attractive and certainly looks like the inspiration. Make an offer and see what happens.
    Good luck , can't wait to see pics when your project is done. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BuddyBlue,

How very kind of you! I will let you know if i buy the 1stdibs one - trying to find a time when the shop is open and I'm in town.

Today, our GC, who has been stringing me along for 6 (six, seis, sei, 6!!!) weeks, finally said that he is too busy for our project (read: your stinky project is too small for me to deign to work on, even after taking into account grossly overcharging you).

My DH, who rebuilt an old house in his pre-me days, wants to GC it. I say fine. At least I can always reach him!!

I am so so so so so tired of the contracting "profession".

• lindac
    11 years ago

My words of advice about looking for the "perfect" thing. I have spent years and years looking for the perfect...whatever...cupboard, table for a certain spot etc etc. and finally I just bought what was "good enough"...I had something to fill the spot to eat from to dish the soup ( been looking for the perfect soup ladle..LOL!)...use it....stop the frantic search....and when the perfect thing comes along, you can always find a use for, or a buyer for that "almost perfect" piece.
    I am enjoying my "perfect" cupboard, my son is enjoying the almost perfect one as well as an almost perfect chair and my daughter enjoyed my almost perfect table....which will soon be given to her daughter.
    Almost perfect is not bad....And you may change your mind! I long wanted an oval gallery tray....but was at an auction about 15 years ago and found a Tiffany Sterling Chippendale piecrust edged 14 inch tray in a pile of assorted silver plate and junk. I paid $22 for the whole lot!
    I still want a lovely 18 by 20 or so gallery tray...but...having Tiffany Sterling as 2nd best ain't bad.
    Linda C

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Call off the search??? The search is like a week old. And since it will cost a fari bit, I don't want to buy something that works unless i really like it.

That said, I am very close on one...

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I wouldn't get one with feet if I were putting it on upholstery, especially a solid fabric.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruh roh.

That is a good point chickadee, I hadn't thought of it.

Do you mean that it will leave indentations? Or tarnish marks? It is on velvet, no less!

• sochi
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux - I'm so sorry about the contractor - that is awful! Very unprofessional, but all too common I fear. I'm sure DH will do a great job as GC

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Have you looked at this site. She has lots of silver trays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Am I REALLY Post No. 55 on silver trays??? I feel like I need to get in on the search as well. In fact, it's a big art weekend around here, and I'm going to be in New Hope and Lambertville. Obviously, I'll have to make time to pop into a few antique shops, camera in hand to get some pics of The Perfect Silver Tray!

mtnrdredux, thanks for that link to the blog with the Boat House pics. If it weren't for all the so-so wine the galleries will be offering, I'd go there for a drink tonight.

BTW I have just remembered that we have a tray somewhere around here. Silverplate, but close enough....Perhaps I should start a new thread...on finding the perfect velvet ottoman to be placed under it. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lyban,

That's a great link, thank you!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have fun, Lynxe, it's such a beautiful day for that.

I am going to be in NYC next Friday and will look at the 1st dibs one in person. I already was able to get her to agree to a much lower price than she'd posted (guided by the one that got away).

In the meantime I need to educate myself, because I have surely seen a very wide range of pricing for a "silver tray". My only guideline is one I bought myself over 10 years ago, full retail at ABC carpet, for $550. Though simple, it appears to be great quality. I find a way to use it most everytime I entertain formally.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Indentations.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

"Have fun, Lynxe, it's such a beautiful day for that."

I did. And it was. :)

There were two attractive silver trays in a window display of Antiques on Union. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics, the tags were turned round such that the prices couldn't be seen, and the shop was closed. I highly doubt either are anywhere close to $550. However, I also doubt that either is large enough for you. (Did I miss details about actual dimensions?) Regardless, since I noticed these while passing by only one of many shops in the town, it strikes me that finding the right silver tray should be fairly easy (?)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are so sweet to think of me! If the one in the city doesn't work out I will probably go on a shopping trip in that area and see some family too. Prices there are better than in CT/NYC.... generally.

Btw, you may be surprised by prices (see the link)

Here is a link that might be useful: two trays

• kim23185
    11 years ago

Well, I heard back from the lady I thought might be able to help you find the perfect tray, but I think it might be a bust. She located three trays she said are very close to your inspiration pic, one 24 inches and the other 25 inches and around $650-750. Bad part, they are new. :( The other she found is 31 inches and circa 1850, sounds perfect, right? Then I heard the price, $6500. Had to pick my jaw up of the floor and think that the 1st Dibs tray is looking especially good now, even though I already thought it was a cool piece.
    By the way, did you see the marble tray in the WSJ this weekend? Probably not what you want since you have an inspiration room with a great silver tray, but what a great piece.
    Anyway, good luck with your continued search. Hope you have success this week in NYC.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

M'dux, you have mail. ;o)

• susiemw
    11 years ago

Our Salvation Army thrift store often has wonderful old silver trays. I've picked up several myself.

good luck

susan

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!