Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therwood22_gw

Need Blue Exterior Paint Help!!!

therwood22
11 years ago

Does anybody know of a medium/deep slate blue that they've actually seen used on an exterior? I am building a home (hardi plank siding) and would like to go with a "Cape Cod" type look- darkish slate blue with bright white trim. This is the first home I've ever built and I am COMPLETELY overwhelmed with all the blue color choices. What looks good on the paint chip doesn't always translate perfectly, but I haven't been able to find anybody who has first-hand knowledge of a color in that range that turned out well. I would be SO grateful for any advice! Thanks!

Comments (15)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I can't help with the Hardi plank color, but I Googled 'blue house exteriors' and maybe you'll see something that is close in the link below, to get you started til others have a chance to reply.

Do you have a picture of the house you're building, and is it a cape?

Here is a link that might be useful: blue house exteriors

• therwood22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I have Googled the same thing and there are definitely some gorgeous homes, but unfortunately they don't list the paint color. I don't have a picture of my house (they're still framing it as we speak), but the style is actually more craftsman with a little farmhouse thrown in. I just don't like most traditional craftsman color schemes and on our five acres I thought the blue & white would be striking.

• whallyden
    11 years ago

"... but unfortunately they don't list the paint color"

Try the Chip It! function on the Sherwin-Williams website. It should get you in the ball park.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chip It!

• therwood22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie- oh, no...that's exactly what I'm afraid of!! I will try the Chip It and BM apps, thanks.

• susieq07
    11 years ago

My home is pure white, trimmed in a pretty teal blue, dark blue shingle roof, and multi blue stone driveway, with the teal, and darker blue in it. people have come to my door asking the color, I tell them you can't get it anymore... LOL which is true it is SW paint, but can be mixed of course..

• maddie260
    11 years ago

We recently painted our shingled house with BM Charlotte Slate (AC-24). It might be just what you are looking for - to me, it looks very dark blue/with some gray. Fab color. BUT, we used a gray trim because white trim was too bright and just too much with it. The grayed color still looks pretty white next to this color.

• beeps
    11 years ago

So... umm... this isn't the look you are going for? =)

• therwood22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, its a smurf house! Wow :)

• therwood22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@maryanne3- I pulled up Charlotte Slate and it looks pretty close- does it seem to have any green undertones on your house? Granted, the color on the computer screen is never completely accurate, but I was just curious if you saw any green in it. You don't happen to have a pic of your house you'd be willing to share, do you??? Regardless, I'm very grateful for the suggestion and will follow up on it!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd look at SW Loch Blue, and in the B. Moore ranges, Van Cortland Blue, Phillipsburg Blue (both in the Historic group), Blue Echo (Affinity) and West Coast (America's Colors group).

Cape cod body colors tend toward gray - most often, the shingled houses on Cape Cod are naturally weathered gray, and it's the shutters and doors that carry those wonderful shades of blue and green that come from the sea and sky.

• maddie260
    11 years ago

Sorry no picture because I don't know how to post one!! There is no green in the color. It does seem to get grayer as the day goes on!! From the "test patch", I thought it would be more grayed; on a large surface, it looks more blue than gray, but NOT a bright blue. This time of year, my house is in direct sun most of the day, so that may matter.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

OMG Beeps, that house would make your eyes bleed. I suppose there was no room in the budget for trim paint.

• therwood22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll report back with the finished product, but right now I'm leaning towards maryanne3's suggestion of BM Charlotte Slate. This was my first ever post (probably not the last) and I really appreciate the input!!

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

My house is blue/gray with white trim, but it's in vinyl not paint.

I pulled out my color decks and here are a few close matches. All are Ben Moore. I don't have the Affinity deck though, sorry :(

Van Courtland Blue HC-145
    Water's Edge 1635
    Providence Blue 1636
    Wild Blue Yonder CSP-620

They are listed in descending order of how popular they are on Google images - the Van Courtland is very very popular because it was a Pottery Barn color a few times. I personally like that or the Wild Blue Yonder best, looking at my chips. WBY has next to nothing on Google Images because that line (Color Stories) has not been out long. Van Courtland is grayer than WBY.