Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Does this make sense in the kitchen

chloenkitty
9 years ago

My white kitchen cabinets are installed. They are not custom, but cabinets my builder has used in many homes and are lovely nonetheless. They are from kabinart. The builder is putting crown molding on the top of the cabinets, which I like. I asked him about matching the white on the cabinets and he said they match the trim work in the house and everyone they have done that for has been fine with it. I am new to this, so maybe that's ok, but I feel like the molding above my cabinets should be the same color as the cabinets. Am I wrong? If it should, I assume a cabinet door can be taken to SW or BM or Lowe's even and color matched for the molding. What should I do, let them match trim or cabinets? To be honest, I don't know if there really is any trim in the kitchen as it's all cabinets and not much wall space etc for trim.

Comments (19)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Crown on the cabinets should be the same color as the cabinets.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Errant, I think it would drive me crazy. It doesn't make sense to me, but aqain, I never built before so I was not sure. They said no one else ever had a problem with it, but I do. One other thing that bugs me is we are having built ins installed in the office and they won't put drawers on the bottom for us, they said it would be open. Then they said they could put cabinet doors. Why on earth won't they put drawers? Lazy? I'm sure builders have put drawers in built ins before for Pete's sake!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent the builder a msg and told him I don't want the crown molding to match the trim, that I want it to match the cabinets. I asked him to take a small door off above the refrigerator and leave for me to take to SW and have them match the color. What finish should I get? I know most trim is done in semi gloss, but the kitchen cabinets are not glossy. They are not very flat, but certainly not glossy. Suggestions? Thank you

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would use a satin finish(between flat and semi-gloss) on the trim and yes, I think it should match the cabinets. If they are a more yellow or blue white (like maybe the trim is)...it will look like someone tried to match them and failed. Besides, the trim is pretty far away from the top cabinet moulding so it should blend just fine...why not do the trim the same color as the cabinets/mouldings...problem solved.

Did you already get a quote for your built-ins and now want drawers? Of course, drawers are more labor intensive that a door or open space, but I don't see why it can't be done...they will just up your price accordingly.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It should be the same color and sheen as that of the cabinets.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm really starting to wonder if there's a miscommunication between the two of you. Are you certain he's talking about cabinet crown and not ceiling crown?

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's no miscommunication. There is no ceiling crown in the room as the kitchen cabinets are pretty high and they are adding molding to the top of it to give it a more formal look and that goes up to the ceiling. The ceiling height in the kitchen is 9' and opens up to a family room that has 16 ft high ceilings with all windows. Because the ceilings are so high, there is no ceiling molding in the 16 ft high family room. Does that make sense to you now, Errant?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

CNK, I would insist on drawers for your built-ins. I would expect to pay more but you are the one to make the decisions not the builder. When we built our first home the builder kept trying to pawn things off on us that we didn't want. We found out later that he had left over goods that he wanted to be rid of. You will be living in your beautiful new home for many years and he should cooperate with you.

• WoodArt
    9 years ago

The crown molding should definitely match the kitchen cabinets. Most cabinet manufacturers have crown molding that can be purchased to match their cabinets, but that would be at an additional fee. What does your contract show with your builder in regards to the drawers in the office? The cabinets can most likely be swapped out for drawers but there would definitely be an additional charge for the drawers and for the additional labor.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic my builder sent me of a kitchen he did with cabinets like mine and the cabinet top molding painted the same color as the ceiling molding. I see that is done because of the molding over the doorway, however, I do not believe we will have that. Therefore, I'm still leaning towards top cabinet molding to be the same color as cabinets. On the ride side of the pic, I can see a difference in color. Anyone else? That would bug me.

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 18:02

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

So, if you had gray or green cabinets, or cherry cabinets, he would still put white molding on them? Nope.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It sounds to me like he goofed and forgot to order the color matched crown when he ordered the cabinets.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Typically the crown on the cabinet matches the cabinet. In our case we have a soffit and the crown that touches the ceiling matches the rest of the crown in the room, while the crown that touches the cabinet matches the cabinet.

But that is not necessarily the case....

Here they used a contrast crown

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Falls Church General Contractors NVS Remodeling & Design

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Minneapolis Design-Build Firms TreHus Architects+Interior Designers+Builders

Here the cabinet crown contrasts with the crown used with the wall

[Tropical Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2108) by Brooklyn Interior Designers & Decorators LKID

Here they used a contrast color

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Boise Design-Build Firms Strite design + remodel

Here's one where the crown matches the rest of the trim. It's not a look I like as it tends to make the cabinet look shorter.

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Wellesley Hills General Contractors Landmark Services Inc

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That first pic with the contrast crown is really nice

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's another where the crown matches the room, not the cabinets

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Charlotte Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Case Remodeling

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Now, in my opinion, that last one looks strange. Like a crown just put on a cabinet, not really part of the cabinet.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I definitely would tell him you want the crown above your cabs the same color as the cabs. No doubt about it. That last pic just proves how odd they can look if the crown is painted a different color. I think the cab crown should look like it is part of the cabinet not part of the entire crown in the house. jmho

• jjam
    9 years ago

We had this same question when we did our kitchen. Ours is like the 4th photo Annie posted. Where there is a cabinet, the crown matches the cabinet. Where there is wall space, the crown matches the rest of the house. In our case, as in the photo, there is only one crown, and it just changes color according to what is underneath it. It sounded strange when we did it but it looks fine, and logical, IRL.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Having the crown match the cabinets makes the cabinets look taller and more substantial.