Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Need Help Choosing Coffee Table

malhgold
9 years ago

I'm in the process of redecorating my great room and need some help picking a coffee table. The couches are grey velvet and the credenza below the TV is a dark brown stain. The brown rug is being replaced with the oatmeal colored rug that has flecks of grey in it. The room is 23X25 and the couches are 90" long, so I'm looking for a larger scale table.

Stock Photo of Couch

Please see the choices I've narrowed down to and let me know if you have a preference. Thanks!
Baden Coffee Table - Crate and Barrel

Metal Parquet - Restoration Hardware

X Brace Iron Coffee Table - Restoration Hardware

Comments (12)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

A suggestion....put your two square tables together.....that would represent one of the longish coffee tables. You may like it and not need a new table. I am thinking if you have your couches like they are, then a square table or ottoman might work okay too.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I like the metal parquet table from RH best. It will pick up the metal in your chandelier, pulls together the browns and grays in your room, and I like the clean lines of the base.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I have a similar set up in my family room with 2 sofas perpendicular to each other. I have a large square coffee table that allows people on both sofas to set down drinks and put their feet up. A rectangular table really only serves one of the sofas.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

k9arlene - what size is your square coffee table? I can't seem to find a square that is big enough. Based on the 90" length of the couches, I'm figuring I need at least 60" long. I'm not sure how a 60" square would serve both couches. Thanks!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I would get a large square table similar to the 3rd one down. Centering it in front of the sofa on the left, and with the table being large, it will still be in reach for those sitting on the other sofa.

A narrow coffee table would look out of place, IMO.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the dimensions:

Baden - 72 X 35
    Metal Parquet - 68 X 40
    X Brace - 67 X 32

I've been finding it challenging to find large square tables that are "reasonably" priced.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

How about an alternate layout for the room? Then any of those tables will work.

Seems like the room was designed to be laid out to work with the architecture and vaulted ceilings.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 15:33

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

My table is 40 inches square, but my sofas are 86 inches. I would lay out some paper in a square in front of the sofas to seewhat the minimum size table would work. A 40 inch might. I, too, had trouble finding anything larger than the 40 inch.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You could put two rectangular tables together to get the large square you're after.

I have a similar orb chandy in my bedroom, btw. I love the shadows it casts on the cathedral ceiling :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I am thinking a large rectangular coffee table in front of the couch where you have the two tables now and then something interesting in front but to the right of the other sofa, like two nesting tables or a cool barrel shaped piece.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beverly27 - when you say "Seems like the room was designed to be laid out to work with the architecture and vaulted ceilings.", are you suggesting the seating area be oriented towards the windows at the bottom of this layout? Right now the TV is between the windows on the left side of the layout.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Yes, because the axis of the room seems to run parallel to the light cove, I'm recommending the furniture be arranged that way also.

Of course this may be out of scale and some how not work with adjacent rooms, but it's my take on your situation. Doesn't cost you a dime to move furniture around and try it out. I just like to have my chandeliers some how align with tables or seating arrangements.

Sorry drawing is half plan / half wall elevation, but you get the point.