Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

blank slate guest bedroom

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

This is a guest room at the beachhouse. It is my next project.

Givens:
1. Hardwood floors stay
2. The bed (bought it on CL, heavy and real brass).
3. The position of the bed (you get a view from bed this way). I know it is odd the way we centered it. DH wants to close off the wall there, but this is a Jack and Jill suite that a lot of our guests will appreciate it (families, groups of kids slumber party-ing, etc).
4. The chest of drawers (I like it and it was the PO)

Giving away:
The bedding and the two small pink/green etc rugs. This whole set (Anthro) is 10 yrs old and I want something new.

Up for grabs:
The rug you see as you walk in, in blue and coral. Not valuable but it was the POs and I like to keep things from the house's history (PO summered here for many years).
And re the bed; should we polish it up or no? Add the footboard, or no?

Needed:
Bedding
Window treatments (don't block the window seat view though!)
bedside lighting

Initial thoughts:
White bedspread, royal blue and white cotton throw, coral and white patterned shams and WT ... all pulled from the rug.

Also thinking about chenille, but that is all candy colors....

Very poor rendering of the "floor plan" not to scale, and photos...

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 14:11

Comments (103)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Rag rug?

The old ship cap'n's family would have put the old stuff upstairs when he came shore with new, so things from early in their lives, like a rag rug might be appropriate. Can the current rug go in the hall?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like chenille in theory but actual bedspreads always look somewhat bedraggled, not in a picturesque way.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm with kswl on the chenille...they look ratty quickly...I have not good memories of them...I'd much prefer the matelasse in an unexpected color.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Again, my mother's influence kicks in. Mom was extremely averse to chenille because of the lint it generated that would jump onto your clothes and cling for dear life. Are the newer chenilles less linty?

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Can you see the ocean from the bed or do you just see sky?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd worry about running in/over the screen, bu tlove the curtain idea.

Like these:

Or all the way

Or panel curtains, sliding panels, or maybe even Shoji screens?

IKEA has a bunch

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I think that a combo of suggestions work the best for bed placement, but bbstx is closest to my earlier suggestion (taking off of pal's curtain behind bed suggestion.) of having it completely cover the entire wall and door area. The rod and ring suggestion is great, as well as the wall mounted shelf. We had those in a hotel room in Germany, recently.

I also like the idea of a swag curtain behind the bed. ;)

"how large is that opening? Could you eventually just drywall directly behind the part that sticks out? "

I also thought about the sheetrock idea. If you moved the bed over 6" toward the window, hung a shelf, and framed/sheetrocked about 6" in the doorway alcove, you could please both your husband and yourself. The view is important, but moving the bed over 6" is not going to prevent a guest from seeing out the front window. They will actually get a view from the side window, as well!

Finally, I have one more suggestion. This is even quirkier than the off-balanced bed, catty cornered or wheels! When my son was young, his bedroom was a bit on the small side. Between a desk alcove, an entrance door, a bathroom door, a closet door, and a window...there was not much wall space for both a bed and chest of drawers. I came up with the idea of centering the bed in the middle of the room. I hung metal airplanes over the bed big iron bed. He loved it! Gave us the wall space we needed, and plenty of room to walk around the bed. He even had a bedside table. Sorry that I do not have a photo handy.

I have copied your bedroom layout below. Instead of your guest sitting up in bed to crane their necks outward, they can simply turn their heads to the side, or prop up on their right elbows to see the views. :)

Or, turn the bed to any angle you wish.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 13:55

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Oh, my chenille bedspread that adorned my bed for the first bridge club meet I held in my new (now old) home for my new neighbors and friends was so lovely and the comments were so glib. I understand now.

Before the second club would in my home, the bedspread had to be washed to remove the dust and ironed to dispose of wrinkles and the washing lifted the lovely and wrinkles remain where it now serves as a divider between the mattress and box springs.

New is good and old is bad. I have wrinkles and I know once I have shed, I will be put out to pasture, just like the once lovely chenille bedspread.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dropping in again via phone. Alas,not many chenille fans. Only palettes I can think of quickly devolve into nurseries. Maybe I need another baby so I can get my chenille fix! That'd get me off GW for a bit!

Oaktown -- yes! The ocean, the boats, the waves! That's the whole point.

NOsoccer, I liek the curtain all the way across. But then I don't think it'd be the Scalamandre! Plain?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I also think people should wake up! : )

The sun comes up for a reason. Give me an east-facing bedroom and I promise to get the coffee started.

Sunrise is 530 am up here in July! I get early rising but ... ouch.

This announcement brought to you by staying in a beautiful oceanside cottage without window treatments this summer.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think every good guest bedroom has blackout shades even if they are a simple roller blind that allows the entire window to show when open, or hides behind another treatment.
    We also close ours upstairs in the summer when no one's using the rooms to keep them cooler.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

5:30 am is magical.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

For me too, linelle------t's the hour that I turn into an ogre when awakened.

• rgps
    9 years ago

How can you guys say this is ratty, I think it is lovely.
    I agree with what Pal said about vacation house. Really the same thing I said about a Ct vibe verse a Maine vibe but he explained it better.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Don't throw anything at me but I like the bed in front of the window. You can sit up in bed to look out the window or lay at the foot of the bed to see out the other window. Just seems like the bed fits better there and you can have a nightstand/light on either side of the bed. Chenille would be good for you bed.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

kswl, I will give you a wide berth. :) I'm not a loud, obnoxious early riser. I just love the promise of a new day and that I don't have to share it with a lot of people.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I think it would be difficult to put a curtain or screen behind the bed without it looking contrived. The bed placement is perfect just as it is. But Mtn, you might need to say it just one more time. ;-)

Bed - I really like it unpolished and I love a footboard but not if it's going to obscure the view.

WT - Just sheers unless your guests would be uncomfortable with the lack of privacy. Maybe a very unobtrusive roller shade paired with billowy linen sheers.

Bedside lighting: I think the bed placement would allow for something a little quirky and weird.

Bedding: Your moodboard makes me swoon.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

No, probably not yards and yards of Scalamandre, but maybe creamy white with some trim, either the dragon fabric or some ribbon?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Something on the order of the first photo Nosoccermom posted was exactly what I was trying to describe. It could cover the entire wall and camouflage the entry. And also leave some room for art above the bed perhaps...and we all know how we love to discuss art selections.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Portieres have a long history, and are appropriate to Victorian houses. What looks contrived in one setting may still be contrived in another setting but still make sense on more than one level.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I didn't have roller shades in my guest room, but have since added them. Even though there is NO ONE out the back side of our house, my cousin was totally weirded out by the exposed windows, even though I did have sheers on them she could close. I keep them rolled up under the valance though so they don't obscure anything.

Love the portiere...but I'm a fabric person and am always looking for ways to add fabric and softness to a room...I think it goes great with the cottage vibe. If you want to do chenille, how about a chenille curtain between the two rooms?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Coastal color scheme

Seashell hues?

Coral art?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If you want to put a curtain behind the bed, I don't think it would have to be (or even ought to be) the Chi'en Dragon that you are going to use at the windows. I think a neutral muslin or a white or off-white linen would look better.

You asked for window treatment suggestions. I think a functional but relaxed Roman shade would be perfect for the dormer window. Considering the lack of space between the bed and the wall on the window side, I think a Roman shade would be most functional for that window too. No possibility of tripping, like there would be with curtains. It would be easy to put black out lining in the roman shades for those occasions when you invite sleepy-heads to be your guest.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

RE: Chenille . . .Mtn, do you have live-in staff at this house? As in, the beds would be made "professionally" (can't think of another term) daily? If so, they will look OK.

Do you hate this? Not sure how you feel about this much coral:

Hahaha about room darkening option!

I love all the different views you get! Who needs TV/gadgets??

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Me too Annieâ¦in quest rooms! I love this Clarence House green toile for a behind the bed and partial canopy for my picture above. However, I would like it even more if it were a larger scale print. Even though I only do immediate family members that is one room that has very luxurious fabrics. Nothing matches but they all go as I feel that adds to the comfort level.

Darn it's not showing up. Check the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriental green toile

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I guess I missed something. I thought the idea was to put a curtain behind the bed not across the doorway. I agree, that makes sense.

Like this:

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Whatever solution you find for the bed placement, I hope you're able to have some sort of end table on both sides of the bed.

• bananafana
    9 years ago

I really like MagdalenaLee's mock-up above. That's the way I was picturing it.

I could like the footboard too----- would feel sort of ship-shape.

I like the current state of the brass, but like others have pointed out, no ship captain would let the brass weather.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

As the wife of a tall man, please, no footboard. DH will eventually be diagonal across the bed if there is a footboard. Without a footboard, he will sleep straight with his feet hanging off the end of the bed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I thought the drape wouldn't split in the middle but be drawn across the whole opening and pushed toward the bed if people want to use the door...

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Yes!!!

Magdalena's mock-up of plain panels is PERFECT!

They create a "back-drop" for the headboard; they soften the room; they create a layer of privacy.

• bananafana
    9 years ago

True about the footboard for tall guys. I would like the look, but my son-in-law, 6'3", says no to footboards at their house.

On the plus side, I have an iron bed with footboard and it's really cold and cooling to put my feet on when it's hot out.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Option three:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOh, I like that, it uses the orange from the rug. I am not sure about the black.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Magdalena's version looks good. I don't like the idea of a curtain all the way across the entry...it would just be weird for going to and from the other room.

Here's something that has occurred to me.......how much of a view do you really get out the window from the bed anyway? The window is not big and being recessed it limits the view even more. Maybe just center the bed on the wall with wall lamps and small shelves as suggested for a book, etc.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Kantha Quilt linked below, or similar. Shouldn't match the rug, but go with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kantha Quilt

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good plan! Report back after you return.
    Have a good weekend. ;)

palimpsest - Oh my goodness! What a good way to start the day with a laugh. Thank you for that. :)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 10:26

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mtb'dux, here's a link from a blog. You might be able to google the images of the fabric if you like them.

I've been 'craving' coral for at least the last 2 years, but would need to change out too many things. Can't wait to see what you do!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• joshuasamah
    9 years ago

MTN, I love your original plan with bedding/fabrics. Love the rug too. I ordered the same bedding from Serena and Lily last month and the fabric is beautiful. Can't wait to see it come together

• localeater
    9 years ago

How about a navy and white throw from Brahms Mount(made in Maine- they really are kind of a tradition)

Here is a link that might be useful: Brahms Mounts

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

If you make that connecting hallway a closet for this bedroom, you could remove the closet next to the ocean view window and place the bed on the wall to the left as you enter. That is if the view is improved! I definitely like the idea of keeping the bed in a location with an ocean view! I love it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen, no you can't because of the Dutch colonial gables

Local ... I have that one in my living room already ... I looked there first

Joshuasmom, good to know!

Patty, omg that is so so pretty. Does anyone know where it is from?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

As best I could tell, patty's image was from Layla Grayce. It is, of course, no longer available.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Do you have a Stein Mart? Saw lot's of coral when I was there yesterday. They have a website, as well.

From a book that I was reading last night about a grand old beach house. :)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 11:31

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

mtn, here you go - the source for the coral throw!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lili Alessandra Louie Coral Throw

• busybee3
    9 years ago

sorry, didn't read all, but I would just move the bed over a foot!!! it would drive me crazy to have it a foot (18"??) off the wall for a foot of view! the left sided person would still enjoy it and the r side would just have to scooch over to see it-- wake up, love it and hop out of bed to the window seat to better enjoy it!!
    if I was staying in the room, I would probably take the liberty and move the bed over so that it sat fully on the wall myself!
    I would leave the brass alone, tho would be pretty shined up too! either looks good!
    love everything else!! what an awesome guest room!!!!!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

NHB - Loved the sense of place in The Girls of August, but totally missed the chenille.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I probably would have let that fly had we not been talking about chenille being too hot for a beach house. Loving that book, so far, although the reviews were not great.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Mtn, I received a flyer from NM today and they had a luscious duvet cover featured. It is the Pine Cone Hill Ramala in coral. It's also available as a quilt. I think a quilt for that beautiful bed would be even better than a duvet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral Pine Cone Hill