Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

DR Mantel Artwork Part II

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

The thread reached its upper limit before I could finish reading!

jterrilyn, so you have any idea of the prices of Alexander McKenzie's work?

I have no "knowledge" of art - I know what I like and don't like (emotionally/viscerally), and I know that I'd prefer to have something other than [dorm-room] posters in the dining room and living room.

The use of the word "print" is deceiving. "Original" prints, like lithographs, would be fine with me, but "pictures" of original art (posters, giclee -- who made up that word to fool people?) would not (after all, I can take a digital photo of an original artwork and blow it up myself -- but wouldn't do so).

Comments (9)

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Well, there are so many options and sources for original art that are, indeed, original and exhibit a professional level of craft/technique. Just for a start, I went to the online catalogue of a friend's online art auction business. I'm not trying to promote him--www.shapiroauctions.com--but the results of his last auction are posted underneath the images, so it is a basis for some examples of serious (not SERIOUS) art that is affordable. There are pictures there of some size--28 x 36, for example, that sold in the low thousands, even into the hundreds. You would have something that is vetted, that will appreciate, probably, and that you can display without apology. I like to use the plumber rule: How much do you pay your plumber? Think how many hours it takes to paint a good picture--and then pay that to acquire a piece of art that you can pass down the generations. I always feel regretful when I pay more for the framing than I do for what is inside the frame.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

OH WAIT, I am sorry .... I think this was not supposed to be about my thread? This is for SJ hockey

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 17:24

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I didn't get a chance to read all the way through the other thread, but has anyone mentioned Vango? They have an app that I just found the other day, while trying to find something for my bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vango

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Sjhockey, sorry I donâÂÂt know the prices I have to paint all my own artwork. I think his work is magical and it takes me to a happy place. Alexander has won a few prestigious awards over the last few years so I imagine he is pricey now.

I think Barbara Benedetti NewtonâÂÂs pastel work is reasonable. Pastels are a good mix. IâÂÂm not sure how much the large ones are but sometimes she has small works on her site for as low as $40 , many are around the $450 to $750 and up range. Love her pastels but not so keen on her still life paintings (it's not my thing).

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 18:40

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtnrdredux, I did mean this to continue your thread, which "topped out". I just had a specific question to something jterrilyn had posted in your thread.

Jterrilyn, those pastels are lovely. I think I'll start a thread where people can post sources for "reasonably priced" (whatever that means) original art, such as the ones you, cedazu and errant have posted in this thread, and others have posted in the other thread.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oops, I'm confused, too! Nothing new, though!

I was playing with the Vango app on my phone today, you can take a picture of your room and have it make suggestions using the original art they feature on the website. Pretty cool! I'm going to give it a try when I figure out what I'm doing with my MBR :)

• Joe
    9 years ago

Mtn,
    Consider printing and 'publishing' this complete thread as reading material in the power room. Unfortunately you just missed the Best of Summer reading lists.
    On second thought, it would likely create a backlog...
    ~bgj

• anitamo
    9 years ago

Mtn...another idea to throw out there: how about finding an artist to make a rendition of your house using whatever material you prefer? Oil, charcoal, water colors , etc.. The artist would visit your home to take photos and make the painting from the photos. It would be an original in any case.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Thought Mtn would get a kick out of this - some of the artwork featured this week from the Montessori school both of my grandchildren attend: