Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

The 70s are back? Or are they?

nosoccermom
10 years ago

"No need to cringe. These 21 groovy blasts from the past are updated to look fabulous today."

Do they?

1. Strong curves --- Hm, maybe.

Modern Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers Mark English Architects, AIA
2. Large abstract paintings --- Yes, like! Also like the chairs.

Eclectic Living Room by Victoria Photographers Works Photography Inc.

3. Gingham --- Yes, kinda cute but was never out.

Contemporary Kitchen by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators Terrat Elms Interior Design
4. Groovy L.A. looks --- Nope, not for me.

Contemporary Living Room
5. Malibu surfer chic --- Maybe if it's kind of toned down.

Contemporary Bedroom by Bridgehampton Architects & Designers Stelle Lomont Rouhani Architects
6. Brown and orange --- No!

Contemporary Living Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Melanie Coddington
7. Grass cloth --- Yes.

Transitional Family Room by Palm Beach Gardens Interior Designers & Decorators Annie Santulli Designs
8. The glint of chrome. Yes, with restraint. But that wallpaper would drive me nuts.

Contemporary Home Office by Saskatoon Interior Designers & Decorators Atmosphere Interior Design Inc.
9. Brass --- Hm, with restraint.

Eclectic Bathroom by Mill Valley Cabinets & Cabinetry Studio Marler
10. Foil wallpaper --- No!

Contemporary Bathroom by Washington Interior Designers & Decorators Heather ODonovan Interior Design
11. Lucite --- Like it.

Eclectic Bathroom by La Jolla Interior Designers & Decorators Andrea May Hunter/Gatherer
12. Solar panels --- yes
13. VW buses --- Huh? Maybe pictures?
14. Bold florals --- no

Contemporary Bedroom by Costa Mesa Interior Designers & Decorators Pal + Smith
15. happy pops of florals--- sure, why not?

Midcentury Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators The Office of Charles de Lisle
16. Organic architecture --- yes, please
17. Shag rugs -- always liked them

Contemporary Living Room by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Jodie Rosen Design
18. Macramee --- NO

Eclectic Spaces
19. Bright countertops --- Not for me.

Contemporary Kitchen by Wellesley Kitchen & Bath Designers Divine Kitchens LLC
20. Brightly colored cabinets --- Uhm, no, don't think so, although I agree that white and wood are getting boring. And, of course, lots of dated bathrooms are all of a sudden all the rage....

Midcentury Bathroom by Grand Rapids Interior Designers & Decorators Mindi Freng Designs

And I forgot: doughnut phones --- whatever.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1970s decorating is back!?

Comments (16)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the lucite and the brass. I do not like the wallpaper!

The macrame made me laugh- it seems like everyone had it, even wore it- vests, belts, etc.- what was the appeal? It was "natural" I guess-

• chispa
    10 years ago

Those photos don't look like any '70s houses I remember as a kid.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wallpaper has been out for so long it's in. I really do like the orange and brown and the foil. My parents had foil in the bathroom and it always looked great until we sold the house about 5 years ago. My father was not that handy overall, but he could wallpaper, LOL. I really liked an orange and brown wallpaper from Sherwin-Williams. The guys at the store said they still sell a lot of wallpaper.

I tried a shag rug for our LR and did not like it in our space. Not into the chrome-y LA type of look.

I loved modern looks even as a kid. My own family and relatives had more colonial type pieces that were also very common during that time.

Edited to add I love the look of grasscloth, but the cats would go bananas on it.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 16:35

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I actually quite like that macrame piece.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I love that orange wallpaper.

(And I've been trying to find the perfect foil wallpaper for my pink and brown bathroom....)

• User
    10 years ago

Chrome wallpaper would go nicely in my new bedroom plan.

• artydecor
    10 years ago

What I remember from the '70s is that everything was natural, meaning browns, creams, and grays, with no color.

We really hit back in the '80s, lovin' mauves, turquoise, some neon (I never), but lots of color. If you wore plain khaki pants you were weird.

90's were about a new definition of prosperity, and people tried to re-create the look of old school hand-me downs and family traditions. This is when catalogs like Spiegal and Pottery Barn became popular, selling stuff to people that their families might have given away in the '60s and '70s.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

What I remember about the 70's is *orange*. I even had an orange pantsuit. It's not a decade I want to repeat as I was up to my neck in babies, diapers, and moving every 2 years. The only good things I got out of that decade are my 3 children.

I like that blue room and lucite, the rest not at all.

I made macrame things and I think the appeal was that it was a relatively easy craft to do which resonated with those who had been 60's hippies.

Seventies home decor is not for me. Does that 3rd pic actually have red gingham in a room with a burnt orange wall? That's what they called it in the 70's, burnt orange. Be the only thing I'd like to do with it - into the fire! LOL

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

I still like orange, but the only thing I'd allow myself to do in my home was my "secret" tangerine mixer! It lives in a cabinet. We visited Loretta Lynn's former home on her ranch, and the 60's kitchen was left as she made it - I loved it. Lots of orange.
    My love affair with shag carpet ended with an apartment I rented while in college. Nastiest stuff on the planet, and I vowed never to have it again.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Uh oh I guess I better not show any of you some of what I'm considering or already have. In fact one of those rugs is on my wish list for the formal LR. ( can't do shag... Just a dog chew toy) I like some of these elements invented in new and modern ways ( and done with restraint). Since I never actually lived with many of these I don't share the aversion.

Macramé does not appeal to me however.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I adore grasscloth. When I think of the 70's I think dark. Dark wall paneling. Dark furniture (brown). Heavy drapery... at least that is my memory. Or, maybe it was just my house.

Oh and do not forget those massive wood tv's that sat on the floor trying to be a piece of furniture.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I quite like the wallpaper and big abstract art. I have never been a fan of lucite furniture and have no reason for it at all. I also like the curved room and saw one posted on GW recently. It was lovely but could be a real challenge to decorate.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I don't remember any houses during the era looking like those either. But they are an update mix of what was. None make me feel comfortable and bet very expensive to transition.

I was middle class, so most homes remembered were still plain Janes in the 50s, 60s. Into the 70s, working and raising kids took more of my life than decorating.

We did have a huge macrame the size of one dining room wall. It was in the 80s though, either we missed the era or macrame lasted a couple of eras. Loved it then, but couldn't do this again. We also had gold mixed shag carpet and matching heavy drapes, plus a plaid sectional.
    Along with a carpet rake.

And, a couple of walls of grass cloth. Knowing the paste used to put that stuff up, I bet the later owners had a problem on their hands getting it off. I do remember a lot of wall paper going up in my home, but is was more subdued and smaller prints.

Bell bottoms were awful and polyester casual suits. Even the kids wore them. I wore a lot of poly outfits too....blouses were really ugly. Let's hope this part never shows up again.

The best of the best is jeans. Think about how long they have been around and are still in style.

• Linda Foss
    6 years ago

The best things are those you said no to: The bright laminate countertops, the bright cabinets, the macrame, & the cheerful florals. Color as opposed to surrounding our selves in depression beige & grey like people do now. I hate shag carpet because I hate carpet. It's gross. And hate lucite furniture hate chrome anywhere except the bathroom, kitchen, car or diner.

• jlj48
    6 years ago

Please help me understand. Why are posts from 2013 being responded to?