Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallymo2015

Repurposed TV Armoires, anyone?

sallymo2015
10 years ago

Since we are getting a larger flat screen TV for the family room, we'll be moving the current flat screen to our bedroom and can't use the TV armoire that is there now. I can move the dresser to that spot, and it'll be under the TV. Hoping in the future to add a small loveseat to the bare spot, but not immediately. I could put the armoire over there for now, but it really doesn't hold many pieces of clothing. If there was a good use of it for the bedroom other than clothing I might decide to keep it. I don't have a space for it anywhere else. There is one in the office already, and it houses an old TV that must weight 500 lbs! It has to stay around a little while longer.

I'm doing some searches on line, but thought some of you had already done something interesting with an old TV armoire.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Clothing and linens is what they were originally used for. The consignment shops are filled with unwanted armoires going for bargain basement prices.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Cool ideas. There is such a glut of them available, you can only give them away around here. Everyone has moved on to flat screens and have no use for the armoire. Seems a shame.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We have one very similar to the last one, the knotty pine. This is still at MIL's house since DH and his friend could not move it here when he bought the house. It is massive. We really need some sort of chest of drawers, but we'd have to hire someone to get it here and then someone to put in additional shelving.

The local Habitat ReStore is like an armoire graveyard.

• pugga
    10 years ago

i have a flat screen, although not a monster size, that i still keep in an armoire in my living room. i also have another armoire in my craft room that i use for storing supplies, etc.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite inspiration ideas saved to my Pinterest board. Check there for other ideas. Also, depending on the type of door style you have, you could change it out to a glass door the way people do with kitchen cabinets and have visible but enclosed storage, too.

• christine40
    10 years ago

we moved our huge solid cherry armoire to the office, it houses the printer and router. The lower drawers are used for office essentials (paper, ink, envelopes, etc.)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Our armour (originally used for clothes) is now a TV armour. We took out the top shelf and put a 32 inch flat screen in it....and is now in the spare bedroom. Guess I went from a clothes armour to a TV entertainment center. Clothes are still in the bottom drawers.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

sorry , double post.

This post was edited by grandmaof3 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 13:26

• sewlutions
    10 years ago

We curt shop off of ours. It had tambour doors that opened and slid to the side out of the way. Took the very top off, cut offend sides and put the top back on. I then took the doors to a cabinet company and had the recesses in the doors cut and put in beaded glass.the new flat screen tv is back on top of the cut down furniture. Oh, it was oak and I painted it black. We love it!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Love that kitchen one.

I am so glad I never succumbed to my TV armoire lust-I wanted to get one sooo badly, but my husband instead bought a giant tv instead. Then I almost bought one of those bookcase/pier units that were all the rage for the huge flat screen tvs, but couldn't find one in knotty pine.

I like the idea of maybe cutting off the top part-could you use the lower section for under your new TV?

I do have an old armoire that was made before the TV fad, and I retrofitted it to fit the TV in our bedroom (a small 23") and I use it to store the linens and my extra purses.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I was going to repurpose one that was a home office into a gift wrap center -- with rods across the back for wrapping paper rolls and ribbon spools. Instead, it became a cabinet for china and crystal.

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

If you have grandchildren, the armoire or entertainment center makes a great "kitchen" for kids. If you google, you can find cute ideas to use, making one part a fridge, another a stove and a sink in the part where the TV would go.

• kai615
    10 years ago

I bought a beautiful mission style one and turned it into my sewing cabinet. I mini bolted all my fabric and now have a little fabric shop. I also keep all my patterns in comic book boxes stored in it.

Unfortunately I somehow don't have enough room for my sewing machine in it---- I may have a fabric shopping problem, might have to get another cabinet to store my sewing machine and books ;-)

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

My answer may seem very morbid, but this is my life now.

My fiance and I were both widowed in our 40's, and he moved to my home from out of state ... bringing a nice wall mount TV with him. We repurposed my armoire, one my late husband and I picked out together, as a place to display his late wife's urn, and my late husband's urn. We also have two pictures, of us with our late spouses. It's in a corner of the living room, and most visitors wouldn't know what the urns are, they look decorative. But for us, it's a way to keep our loved ones close.

The picture above it, to the left, was painted by one of his late wife's relatives, I really treasure it.

Bad cell phone pic:

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I also have a Mexican pine armoire in our bedroom, it still holds a TV ... if I ever repurpose it, I'd like to use it in a bathroom, for linens and towels.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:43

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Thank you, dlm. :)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County